The Student Room Group

Trump attacks John Lewis

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius
Trump has no right not to be criticised.

He is not entitled to deploy all the advantages that either his celebrity or his office gives him to attack those who criticise him.

A judge, a minor trades union official and a student are not fair game.

Did i suggest Trump has the right not to be criticised?

No.

A racist judge is fair game.

A US union official upset at American jobs saved is more than fair game.

A student working for Jeb Bush planted in the audience in an attempt to political point scoring definitely fair game.
Original post by joe cooley

No.

A racist judge is fair game.

A US union official upset at American jobs saved is more than fair game.

A student working for Jeb Bush planted in the audience in an attempt to political point scoring definitely fair game.

The judge made a decision on Trump's case, Trump decided that the judge was unable to decide on the case fairly because of his Mexican heritage.

Who is the racist one again?
Original post by InnerTemple
How about the Khans - parents of a US soldier killed in action?

How about all the Mexicans and Muslims in America who are there legally, working and just wanting to get by?

Ah, the Khans willing to besmirch their son's memory to help Clinton?

When has Trump EVER attacked Mexicans who became US citizens legally?

Muslims in the US legally, like the San Bernadino killers?

Are you saying its wrong to attack radical US Muslims who wish to murder their fellow Americans?
Original post by WBZ144
The judge made a decision on Trump's case, Trump decided that the judge was unable to decide on the case fairly because of his Mexican heritage.

Who is the racist one again?

La Raza is not a racist organisation in your opinion?
Original post by WBZ144
He only worked his way up from a family of sharecroppers, achieving an education at a time when Black were very unlikely to be university-educated and earned a successful career in politics. What's even more trivial is the fact that he was a key figure in the movement that achieved civil rights for African Americans and one of the original Freedom Riders, who were key activists in ending segregation in the South. Donnie doesn't even come close to being his equal in terms of making a difference.

A career politician.

What an achievement!

Now, why don't you present a list of things Lewis has achieved for the people he represents?
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the story is a negative one against Trump for questioning a civil rights campaigner, and not negative on the campaigner for saying that Trump's presidency is illegitimate (I think the Constitution has something to say on that one).

Yes.

Because criticising Trump means that he will flame you on Twitter and that will stir up a mob who threaten to kill or rape you.
La Raza is not a racist organisation in your opinion?

He is a member of San Diego La Raza Lawyer's Association, a completely different organisation. As for the organisation La Raza (which I repeat: is not the same thing), it claims to be a civil rights advocacy organisation. But if you have proof that it is racist then I would be happy to hear it.
Trump has no right not to be criticised.

He is not entitled to deploy all the advantages that either his celebrity or his office gives him to attack those who criticise him.

A judge, a minor trades union official and a student are not fair game.

I wonder why some people act like Trump should be exempt from criticism and anyone that does criticise him is bad.
It's almost as though people believe he is perfect.
A career politician.

What an achievement!

Now, why don't you present a list of things Lewis has achieved for the people he represents?

Put it this way - when Lewis was in his early 20's, he was at the forefront of a movement which brought about great change. This change was of benefit to countless people. Lewis did this at great personal cost.

When Trump was in his early 20's, he was busy trying to avoid being drafted into the US Army and getting everything handed to him on a plate.
It was a response to Lewis calling Trump illegitimate. Isn't this how democracy works?
A career politician.

What an achievement!

One of the chief organisers and speakers of the March on Washington in 1963.
A career politician.

What an achievement!

If making a major contribution to civil rights for Black people in America is not an achievement then what would you call good old Donnie?

Being successful and educated despite being born in a position of extreme disadvantage is a lot more admirable than inheriting millions from daddy.
Original post by TheExtrovertGod
It was a response to Lewis calling Trump illegitimate. Isn't this how democracy works?

I think that is how democracy works and I think Lewis doesn't have a claim to avoid political criticism.
The conservative commentator Bill Kristol said it best... "It's telling, that Donald Trump treats Putin with more respect than he does John Lewis."
I do wonder whether Trump is going to get into First Amendment problems once he is office.

At that point he is the executive branch of government and if his twitter rants tend to deter others from speaking freely, he may be acting unconstitutionally.
Original post by WBZ144
If making a major contribution to civil rights for Black people in America is not an achievement then what would you call good old Donnie?

Being successful and educated despite being born in a position of extreme disadvantage is a lot more admirable than inheriting millions from daddy.

Well, i did ask you for an example of something Lewis has achieved for his constituents.

You have been unable to do so.

Point being,whatever achievements a politician has or hasn't managed, whatever start in life a politician had in life good or bad does not excuse them from criticism.

Lewis is free to criticise Trump, just has Trump is free to criticise Lewis.

A lot of you find that concept hard to grasp.
I do wonder whether Trump is going to get into First Amendment problems once he is office.

At that point he is the executive branch of government and if his twitter rants tend to deter others from speaking freely, he may be acting unconstitutionally.

Hold on.

How on earth could Trumps "Twiiter rants" deter others from exercising their 1st amendment rights?

Or are you suggesting that the US President is not protected by the 1st, and he is not free to respond to criticism?
Well, i did ask you for an example of something Lewis has achieved for his constituents.

You have been unable to do so.

Point being,whatever achievements a politician has or hasn't managed, whatever start in life a politician had in life good or bad does not excuse them from criticism.

Lewis is free to criticise Trump, just has Trump is free to criticise Lewis.

A lot of you find that concept hard to grasp.

This is what you asked:

Could you provide a few examples of Lewis's achievements please?

I then gave you an answer, but since it wasn't convenient for you, you changed your question. My original point was that Lewis has achieved a lot of his own, as opposed to being born into a position of privilege and having everything handed to him by daddy. My point still stands.

I didn't say that Lewis should be exempt from criticism, I was saying that Trump doesn't come near his level, so if anything I was criticising Trump, which I have the right to do as well.
Original post by Omarthefirst
The conservative commentator Bill Kristol said it best... "It's telling, that Donald Trump treats Putin with more respect than he does John Lewis."

Could you remind me which person- Lewis or Putin- seems to be suggesting tearing up the constitution for giving the wrong result?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending