The Student Room Group

Trump attacks John Lewis

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joe cooley
Hold on.

How on earth could Trumps "Twiiter rants" deter others from exercising their 1st amendment rights?

Because irrespective of their intent, they in practice incite violence

Or are you suggesting that the US President is not protected by the 1st, and he is not free to respond to criticism?

That is more or less it. Public employees speaking in an official capacity do not have First Amendment Protection

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garcetti_v._Ceballos

Moreover. the government itself probably does not have First Amendment protection

"The Government counters that this claim fails because Government entities do not have First Amendment rights. See Columbia Broadcasting System, Inc. v. Democratic National Committee, 412 U. S. 94, 211*211 139 (1973) (Stewart, J., concurring) ("The First Amendment protects the press from governmental interference; it confers no analogous protection on the government"); id., at 139, n. 7 ("`The purpose of the First Amendment is to protect private expression'" (quoting T. Emerson, The System of Freedom of Expression 700 (1970))). See also Warner Cable Communications, Inc., v. Niceville, 911 F. 2d 634, 638 (CA11 1990); Student Govt. Assn. v. Board of Trustees of the Univ. of Mass., 868 F. 2d 473, 481 (CA1 1989); Estiverne v. Louisiana State Bar Assn., 863 F. 2d 371, 379 (CA5 1989).

We need not decide this question because, even assuming that appellees may assert an "unconstitutional conditions" claim, this claim would fail on the merits."

US v American Library Association
Lewis shouldn't be exempt from criticism.

Trump made himself look foolish when he was siggesting Lewis was all talk. At the moment Lewis has helped achieve far more than Donald and far more for millions of Americans.

It is interesting to note that this will be the twitter presidency (which is amusing and interesting, but as soon as someone attacks him he cant wait to respond. His right, but it doesnt look very presidential and at some point he needs to get off Twitter and let hispolicies do the talking. It would be more dignified and more effective.
Original post by WBZ144
This is what you asked:

I then gave you an answer, but since it wasn't convenient for you, you changed your question. My original point was that Lewis has achieved a lot of his own, as opposed to being born into a position of privilege and having everything handed to him by daddy. My point still stands.

I didn't say that Lewis should be exempt from criticism, I was saying that Trump doesn't come near his level, so if anything I was criticising Trump, which I have the right to do as well.

Well, if you wish to view "career politician" as an achievement we'll have to agree to disagree.

Simple fact is, Trump doesn't play by the same rules as mainstream pols.

In the past Rep pols criticised by a black would freeze and panic like a deer caught in the headlights.

Trum doesn't play that game and will hit back.

Thats why the Rep elites, the Dem party and the MSM are in such a panic.

This panic would appear to have spread to the minions who still have faith in the MSM and mainstream pols.
Well, if you wish to view "career politician" as an achievement we'll have to agree to disagree.

In the past Rep pols criticised by a black would freeze and panic like a deer caught in the headlights.

This panic would appear to have spread to the minions who still have faith in the MSM and mainstream pols.

So in your opinion Lewis amd his contribution to the civil rights movement doesnt amount to much?
Original post by 999tigger
Lewis shouldn't be exempt from criticism.

Trump made himself look foolish when he was siggesting Lewis was all talk. At the moment Lewis has helped achieve far more than Donald and far more for millions of Americans.

It is interesting to note that this will be the twitter presidency (which is amusing and interesting, but as soon as someone attacks him he cant wait to respond. His right, but it doesnt look very presidential and at some point he needs to get off Twitter and let hispolicies do the talking. It would be more dignified and more effective.

Or is it that the political elites and the MSM would prefer that President Trump didn't bypass the left wing filter of the MSM?
Reply 65
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Woke up this morning to hear that the President-Elect has been bashing John Lewis.

Deeply puzzled at this assault on our leading retail brand. Did he have a bad experience with a table lamp? Do they even sell gold-leafed table lamps? Or was it a Waitrose salad that sent him over the edge?

No. It was this guy.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38623881

It could be you next. :afraid:

John Lewis actually deserves to be slapped down a bit. Unbelievably scummy behaviour (along with Sen. Booker) during Jeff Sessions' hearings for Attorney General.
I thought Trump was completely justified in this. It's about time someone spoke out against John Lewis; I'm sick of their Christmas adverts.
Or is it that the political elites and the MSM would prefer that President Trump didn't bypass the left wing filter of the MSM?

Not really. Read pevious post. Trump is hardly a stranger to elitism and privilege.
Well, i did ask you for an example of something Lewis has achieved for his constituents.

You have been unable to do so.

Point being,whatever achievements a politician has or hasn't managed, whatever start in life a politician had in life good or bad does not excuse them from criticism.

Lewis is free to criticise Trump, just has Trump is free to criticise Lewis.

A lot of you find that concept hard to grasp.

Nobody on this thread has actually disputed this.
So in your opinion Lewis amd his contribution to the civil rights movement doesnt amount to much?

Thats right, I don't.

Seeing how the vast majority of black Americans live, you judge it a success?

The civil rights movement was hijacked by the Democrats, to ensure that blacks became eternal victims and more to the point kept voting Democrat.

As Democrat President LBJ said:

"I'll have those n****rs voting Democratic for 200 years."

But what else would you expect from the party of Jim Crow?
Original post by StrawbAri
Nobody on this thread has actually disputed this.

Yeah right.

So why is the thread titled:

Trump ATTACKS John Lewis
Yeah right.

So why is the thread titled:

Trump ATTACKS John Lewis

Because that's the title of the news article in the link.
Still no one in this thread has actually disputed what you said unless you can quote a user.
Thats right, I don't.

The civil rights movement was hijacked by the Democrats, to ensure that blacks became eternal victims and more to the point kept voting Democrat.

As Democrat President LBJ said:

"I'll have those n****rs voting Democratic for 200 years."

But what else would you expect from the party of Jim Crow?

So you preferred it before the civil rights movement, mmm ok.
Reply 73
Original post by nulli tertius
That is more or less it. Public employees speaking in an official capacity do not have First Amendment Protection

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garcetti_v._Ceballos

Marbury vs. Madison was a mistake.
Original post by StrawbAri
Because that's the title of the news article in the link.
Still no one in this thread has actually disputed what you said unless you can quote a user.

Pointless thread then, if we all agree President Elect Trum is well within his rights to respond to the criticism of John Lewis.

Glad we cleared that up!
So you preferred it before the civil rights movement, mmm ok.

No.

Id have preferred that the civil rights movement hadn't been hijacked by the Democrats to ensure they received the black vote.

See the difference?

Apparently highlighting Lewis' contributions to the Civil Right's movement goes through one deaf ear and comes out the next. It's convenient to ignore his accomplishments outside of becoming a "career politician" (which I believe to be an achievement as well, due to his background, but it is by no means his most important one) because then you would be forced to admit that he has in fact achieved great things on his own. This is a common tactic of Trump supporters to dodge valid points and criticisms.

The rest of what you posted is irrelevant to my original point.

And compare that to how they lived before the Civil Rights movement. Lynchings, segregation, legal discrimination, etc.

Of course things aren't perfect, but an increasing number of Blacks are becoming educated in respected institutions and are moving into professional careers. That could not have been accomplished during the days of the Jim Crow laws.

No honest person would deny the major positive changes that the Civil Rights movement has had on the lives of African Americans.
Original post by WBZ144
Apparently highlighting Lewis' contributions to the Civil Right's movement goes through one deaf ear and comes out the next. It's convenient to ignore his accomplishments outside of becoming a "career politician" (which I believe to be an achievement as well, due to his background, but it is by no means his most important one) because then you would be forced to admit that he has in fact achieved great things on his own. This is a common tactic of Trump supporters to dodge valid points and criticisms.

The rest of what you posted is irrelevant to my original point.

Again, what do Lewis's supposed achievements have to do with his claim that Trumps presidency is illegitimate and Trumps response to these claims?

Nothing.

Still, you managed to get in a bit of virtue signaling so not a total loss.
Original post by WBZ144
And compare that to how they lived before the Civil Rights movement. Lynchings, segregation, legal discrimination, etc.

Of course things aren't perfect, but an increasing number of Blacks are becoming educated in respected institutions and are moving into professional careers. That could not have been accomplished during the days of the Jim Crow laws.

No honest person would deny the major positive changes that the Civil Rights movement has had on the lives of African Americans.

Has anyone denied the positive changes brought about by the civil rights movement?

Of course no one on this thread has,a racist strawman argument put forward by yourself because you are unable to defend the damage done to black America by the Democratic party.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending