The Student Room Group

Black students at university uncomfortable by old white professors

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheTruthTeller
Lool... That's clearly not your goal. Your reply had nothing to do with the article and you try to cover it up by saying you were "pointing out some dumb ones". Your intentions were quite obvious. Posting an idiotic speaker in a debate, who happend to be black and had nothing to do with the article, clearly trying to indirectly suggest blacks lack intellect. So yes I would say it is quite racist.

Sounds like you need to decolonialize your mind.
Original post by Mistletoe
Sounds like you need to decolonialize your mind.

My witchdoctor will strike you with lightening.
looool what is wrong with these kids pls? I can't remember a time when I looked to a fellow black person, let alone white person, to empathize with my life struggles on a serious basis. It's not the professors job to care about being called a monkey when you were 7, black white yellow green or blue their only concern is to teach you. I love my people but ffs that small subgroup that complains about how paper is racist because it's white and other bs shiz really piss me the hell off
(edited 7 years ago)
Why is it always about race?
Original post by Anfanny
I was in a black lecturer from Cardiff university he was just as good as any I'd listened to. I don't see why it'll make a difference being black or white.

You have remember the sorts of people who we're talking about are looking for any excuse for their own ineptitude, which normally comes down to "cuz I iz blak bruh"
Reply 25
Original post by ironandbeer2
Hmm they may have a point about race, but sounds a bit ageist to me also.

Who has a point about race?
As a black man, I think this is ridicolous. I'm a ashmed for how a minority within the black community still whines about stupid ****. I've had one black teacher in my entire life and he was no different from the other white, middle eastern and hispanic teachers I've had. If you can't find common ground or a certain level of understanding with another person just because of their skin colour, either your are socially challenged or an unknowing racist.
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Nice use of indirect racism linking a video that has nothing to do with the article posted. It is clear you are trying to hint that black people are intellectually inferior with your use of a stupid debate, which happen to be mainly compromised of black students.

The video exemplifies more of the idiotic anti-white student activism happening on university campuses. It's a relevant thing to post.

He never said or even implied black people are intellectually inferior. This is of your own invention, and I think you owe him an apology for the slanderous, baseless accusation.
Original post by alexschmalex
looool what is wrong with these kids pls? I can't remember a time when I looked to a fellow black person, let alone white person, to empathize with my life struggles on a serious basis. It's not the professors job to care about being called a monkey when you were 7, black white yellow green or blue their only concern is to teach you. I love my people but ffs that small subgroup that complains about how paper is racist because it's white and other bs shiz really piss me the hell off

LMAOOO :rofl:

But yes they make the rest of us with sense look bad smh.
It's just this victim complex that's popular now and it's annoying because when you're constantly blaming all your failures on the white man how can we as a race move forward and do better for ourselves and prove we're not the infants that need constant help like the media makes us out to be. They're like a parasitic leg dragging the rest of us back.
These minority groups do a fabulous job of dividing society even further, it's mildly ironic.
Reply 30
Original post by Anfanny
I was in a black lecturer from Cardiff university he was just as good as any I'd listened to. I don't see why it'll make a difference being black or white.

"In" a black lecturer? :lolwut:
Original post by Josb
"In" a black lecturer? :lolwut:

HAHA I was in his house speaking to him while I was working in The area.
Original post by zayn008
Link to article: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/education/black-soas-students-uncomfortable-being-taught-by-old-white-professors-a3441006.html

What do you think? What would the reaction be if it were the other way around?

I'm sorry but I am finding it very hard to believe what has been written on the article. As an individual born in the U.K. and from an ethnic minority background - I have also had old white lecturers at my university (not SOAS). Yes sure, I have had the odd one who was not very good and keen about teaching the material - but the majority of them were very friendly and enthusiastic. In fact, one of my old white lecturers actually once said in frustration that he preferred teaching a cohort of BME students - as they were more disciplined and hardworking. My class for that course was diverse but there was not a real favoritism towards a certain ethnic group.

Besides, I thought anonymous marking existed for this very reason - well at my university anyway. They used to strip off our names when we sat the exams and there was no way the lecturer would have knew who sat that exam.

I ended up getting a very good degree classification and in my personal experience - the older lecturers always showed more passion and enthusiasm than say the younger ones. In fact, when I once went to see an old white lecturer - he asked me if I wanted a cup of tea with him. By the way, this was at a London university (not SOAS).
I dont think that OP has given the full picture. For starters this uni is called "The school of Oriental and Asian studies". It's literally in the name. There also seems to be some discrimination within the uni too. Telling minorities to shut up as some people here suggest is absurd.

This seems like an excuse for people here to complain about genuine discrimination and seem triggered when they speak out about it.
This is a disgrace! I don't believe a word of what has been written on that article - and quite frankly as a British born individual from an ethnic minority - I find this offensive and insulting. The race and age of the lecturer HAS GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH BME STUDENTS NOT PERFORMING WELL! Sure, in my university days I have come across the odd one or two old white lecturers who simply had no passion or desire to teach their content well - but the majority of them were very friendly and welcoming. A lot of them really liked teaching a very diverse cohort of students with one of my lecturers once saying that he actually preferred teaching a cohort of BME students - as they were more disciplined and hardworking. This was at a London university too - and as a Londoner myself - I would have thought that racism was not commonplace especially at universities. I find it hard to believe that a reputable university such as SOAS would have such an allegation brought up against them. By the way, I thought anonymous marking existed for this very reason - well at my university anyway. They used to strip off our names when we sat the exams and there was no way the lecturer would have knew who sat that exam.

I ended up getting a very good degree classification and in my personal experience - the older lecturers always showed more passion and enthusiasm than say the younger ones. In fact, when I once went to see an old white lecturer - he asked me if I wanted a cup of tea with him. By the way, this was at a London university (not SOAS). So I am sorry but that article is just trash and BS
I'm laughing at these posts calling those black students racist for claiming to experience racism in their place of education.

You think you are better than them, but you're worse :redface: Why are these students racist for claiming to experience racism?
Everytime a conversation around racism comes up, there will always be that one person that says "if you don't like it, go elsewhere."

How brilliant. How amazing. How nice of you!

As a black person, I can totally relate! I have sat in a class and listened to a professor belittle where I come from and I have taken it all in silence because when you speak up, the entitled ones are quick to tell you "if you don't like it, go elsewhere". Meanwhile you are paying over 25k in tuition while they are paying less than 15k! The irony! The nerve!!

I am one of those who has no energy left of discussing with racists. I cannot! I just avoid them like the plague they are.

So the next time you try to stifle free speech with the lazy comment of "if you don't like it, go elsewhere" think twice! These lands were built with the sweat of our ancestors, using what belonged to our ancestors. Save us the speech of "go elsewhere" We are entitled to complain because we are not getting free education. We pay for this!
Original post by LegalDiaries
Everytime a conversation around racism comes up, there will always be that one person that says "if you don't like it, go elsewhere."

How brilliant. How amazing. How nice of you!

As a black person, I can totally relate! I have sat in a class and listened to a professor belittle where I come from and I have taken it all in silence because when you speak up, the entitled ones are quick to tell you "if you don't like it, go elsewhere". Meanwhile you are paying over 25k in tuition while they are paying less than 15k! The irony! The nerve!!

I am one of those who has no energy left of discussing with racists. I cannot! I just avoid them like the plague they are.

So the next time you try to stifle free speech with the lazy comment of "if you don't like it, go elsewhere" think twice! These lands were built with the sweat of our ancestors, using what belonged to our ancestors. Save us the speech of "go elsewhere" We are entitled to complain because we are not getting free education. We pay for this!

What do you mean by belittle where you come from?
Original post by knightchildish
I dont think that OP has given the full picture. For starters this uni is called "The school of Oriental and Asian studies". It's literally in the name. There also seems to be some discrimination within the uni too. Telling minorities to shut up as some people here suggest is absurd.

This seems like an excuse for people here to complain about genuine discrimination and seem triggered when they speak out about it.

It is not called The School of Oriental and Asian Studies.

It is called the School of Oriental and African Studies.
Original post by Twinpeaks
I'm laughing at these posts calling those black students racist for claiming to experience racism in their place of education.

You think you are better than them, but you're worse :redface: Why are these students racist for claiming to experience racism?

It's the insinuation that someone who isn't the same color as them isn't properly equipped to teach them. If all the race roles in the article were swapped and it was white students saying they felt uncomfortable being taught by an ethnic minority, imagine the explosion of anger on black twitter. To say that the reason that white students were doing better than non-white students is mainly due to white privilege is a lazy cop out. I feel like most of the kids complaining expected SOAS to be a Black Panther 2.0 university and got bummed out when they found out Linda from across the street also got an offer to study there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending