The Student Room Group

Sexism Against Men and Female Privilege in the British ‘Justice’ System

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Twinpeaks
That stems from the very same sexist beliefs that effect women.

Benevolent sexism.

Women are seen as weaker, and males are to be seen as strong, and resilient.

Therefore when a woman commits a crime, it's taken less seriously because she's a weak, vulnerable woman.

Therefore when a man becomes a victim of rape or emotional abuse, he must not be a pussy, and react as a woman would. He must be strong and resilient, and to simply deny that it affected him.

These stem from the very beliefs that feminism fights. Stop seeing men as stronger and women as weaker, and this issue will be greatly diminished.

You can't argue. It's sheer logic.

Weak vulnerable...Punishment should be based on consequences due to criminal actions.
Original post by Recont
Weak vulnerable...Punishment should be based on consequences due to criminal actions.

Missed the point. Read again.
Original post by Recont
My own experience: Went to Spain for 10 days with GF (now EX of course). She started behaving extremely impudent and careless towards me, my efforts to take us both (she contributed about 70 quid and rest 1,500 from my side) for holidays. Having respect to myself told her to get out of rented flat with all her stuff but she just didn't go, started recording me on phone, was holding transparent entrance door when I went out and recording me on phone camera. Called police 4-5 times asking to send someone to take person who should not be in my rented flat and police was 200% useless. Did it because wanted to do everything lawfully. Then took her phone away from her, she started screaming at 3 am like she is being stabbed 20 times, went outside and threw her phone away. According to law I damaged her property but on my way out she scratched my back badly, spoiled clothes. As soon as I threw her phone away she ran away. Then after 10 min police came, finally, but they were after me because she reported me for attempt of murder: she lied that I was chasing her with kitchen knife but I found this out after some time in cell and court where I was given a warning and released. If she could have stayed, I would probably be in prison now because of her fake allegations.

The problem is that authorities, especially in Spain trust women by default and in Spain you will then have to prove that you didn't do something illegal against a woman rather than for court and police to prove that you did it because word of women are considered to be 100% true thus they can do whatever they like and when you are going to reply in some way-report you. Aggression and illegal actions from women side are not taken into account at all.

Lesson learned, I am fine without women, hope they are going to be fine with their cats.

**** me, what a bunny boiler!

Do you think it's rational though to discard an entire sex, due to your experience of one person? Many people both men and woman experience significant abuse, and move on. It's foolish to discard women because of one psycho. By that logic, all men are pedos because we can all think of one?

Btw, next time you have an unwanted person living in your flat-

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 43
**** me, what a bunny boiler!

Do you think it's rational though to discard an entire sex, due to your experience of one person? Many people both men and woman experience significant abuse, and move on. It's foolish to discard women because of one psycho. By that logic, all men are pedos because we can all think of one?

Btw, next time you have an unwanted person living in your flat-

My experience, my conclusions, my life.
Original post by Recont
My own experience: Went to Spain for 10 days with GF (now EX of course). She started behaving extremely impudent and careless towards me, my efforts to take us both (she contributed about 70 quid and rest 1,500 from my side) for holidays. Having respect to myself told her to get out of rented flat with all her stuff but she just didn't go, started recording me on phone, was holding transparent entrance door when I went out and recording me on phone camera. Called police 4-5 times asking to send someone to take person who should not be in my rented flat and police was 200% useless. Did it because wanted to do everything lawfully. Then took her phone away from her, she started screaming at 3 am like she is being stabbed 20 times, went outside and threw her phone away. According to law I damaged her property but on my way out she scratched my back badly, spoiled clothes. As soon as I threw her phone away she ran away. Then after 10 min police came, finally, but they were after me because she reported me for attempt of murder: she lied that I was chasing her with kitchen knife but I found this out after some time in cell and court where I was given a warning and released. If she could have stayed, I would probably be in prison now because of her fake allegations.

The problem is that authorities, especially in Spain trust women by default and in Spain you will then have to prove that you didn't do something illegal against a woman rather than for court and police to prove that you did it because word of women are considered to be 100% true thus they can do whatever they like and when you are going to reply in some way-report you. Aggression and illegal actions from women side are not taken into account at all.

Lesson learned, I am fine without women, hope they are going to be fine with their cats.

It is like this over here in the uk as well, i'm afraid...
Reply 45
Original post by john2054
It is like this over here in the uk as well, i'm afraid...

Been living in UK for a while but didn't know that, thought it is more fair where court has to prove that you are guilty.
Original post by Recont
Been living in UK for a while but didn't know that, thought it is more fair where court has to prove that you are guilty.

The police, social workers, housing officers, tsr admin, automatically take the woman's side , in my personal experience. And no, i don't have any journal evidence to back this up!
Reply 47
The police, social workers, housing officers, tsr admin, automatically take the woman's side , in my personal experience. And no, i don't have any journal evidence to back this up!

I agree with you, even with obvious benefits women are still moaning about their discrimination and inequality... I think the problem is that men from their childhood are brought up by women so women nurtures that men always owes something to women: protection, resources, time etc. and then such men in their mature age still programmed in such way and they are everywhere: police, councils etc. I don't mind having respect to women but most of them are exploiting their rights and deserve no respect from me. Also some men are driven by sex and can be manipulated by women easily.
I'm a woman and I'm totally annoyed that this exists. I have given talks on the matter but no one takes me seriously.I've even visited feminist clubs and groups to see if we could raise awareness on these issues but nothing. Instead patriarchy is drummed down into my ears. People need to realise we are no longer in the 19th/ early 20th century. Things have changed. Society has changed. I won't stop addressing sexism against men until the media gives it equal coverage. There's no point in prioritising as one group with similar issues isn't being looked after. In countries were women lack rights I can perfectly understand but in the UK especially no law is really against us, we even now have a law that allows employees to report any gender pay gaps in their workplaces. If feminism is the belief in the equality of the sexes then in societies such as ours where men are experiencing social discrimination and sexism it should be openly acknowledged.
Original post by Recont
I agree with you, even with obvious benefits women are still moaning about their discrimination and inequality... I think the problem is that men from their childhood are brought up by women so women nurtures that men always owes something to women: protection, resources, time etc. and then such men in their mature age still programmed in such way and they are everywhere: police, councils etc. I don't mind having respect to women but most of them are exploiting their rights and deserve no respect from me. Also some men are driven by sex and can be manipulated by women easily.

Original post by Cherry82
I'm a woman and I'm totally annoyed that this exists. I have given talks on the matter but no one takes me seriously.I've even visited feminist clubs and groups to see if we could raise awareness on these issues but nothing. Instead patriarchy is drummed down into my ears. People need to realise we are no longer in the 19th/ early 20th century. Things have changed. Society has changed. I won't stop addressing sexism against men until the media gives it equal coverage. There's no point in prioritising as one group with similar issues isn't being looked after. In countries were women lack rights I can perfectly understand but in the UK especially no law is really against us, we even now have a law that allows employees to report any gender pay gaps in their workplaces. If feminism is the belief in the equality of the sexes then in societies such as ours where men are experiencing social discrimination and sexism it should be openly acknowledged.

Thanks for your contributions!

Experience on TSR trumps academic evidence any day though, right?

What a small, small world.

What issues have you discussed in "feminist groups".

In fact, what "feminist groups" have you graced with your presence?
Original post by Recont
My experience, my conclusions, my life.

With that intelligent, thoughtful response I do wonder whether you're an easy target.

Which country do you come from?
Original post by Recont

No i think you would struggle to use tsr posts in a court of law. Not that personal testimony doesn't have some place, such as on the witness stand, after which it will be left for the judge/jury to decide. But you know, on tsr, things clearly aren't valid, if they aren't backed up by reams of daily mail references. Or journal articles, same difference even though their clearly not.

I'm not saying that sexism doesn't exist. It does. Many if most of the ceos and board executives of the top companies, not to mention share brokers and other professionals are men. The glass ceiling still exists.

But you know, there also more men at the bottom. On streets. And if you don't believe me, the next time you are in town, take a mental count. I think you will be surprised...

So what does this prove? That it is easier to rise to the very top, if you are man? Yes probably. But it is also easier to sink to the very bottom.

And something else you need to understand, is that just because something doesn't get picked up by the journals, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. It just means that it doesn't fit in with that very particular cliqued, way of thinking that the academics above us all, hold.

I am not anti university. Hell i wouldn't have been able to do my degree, and leave with a good one, if i was. But in this process, i was able to discern a number of critical features, and discrimination against men, is one.

Feminist groups as in sixth form /college clubs and societies. Last year, I went to the feminist society/club at my sixth form. I heard about it via assemblies and was invited to come and check it out which I did. Before going, I thought about the things I would like to say, issues I would like to raise and thought it was the right place to address these issues since I was given the impression that feminism is about the equality of the sexes.
I brought up many issues but the main one was domestic violence against men as this was personal. I had also carried out some research to mention some facts concerning this issue. Now, instead of them listening to the facts I had raised, everything was completely looked over with disregard. After that I never went back ever again. Recently I've been at talks and had spoken to teachers on the matter especially those who consider themselves feminists because I thought they would have the understanding and compassion towards these social issues. Maybe I am wrong but in my opinion I am sensing sarcasm on your behalf. If so, there's no need for that as I am not here to debate with you. I'm only here to discuss actual problems that affect real people. It concerns me that men have higher suicidal rates and that domestic violence against men is rather more accepted compared to domestic violence against women.
Reply 55
With that intelligent, thoughtful response I do wonder whether you're an easy target.

Which country do you come from?

Why are you so toxic then? It is always painful to look at the truth.

Do you know world map to ask about countries?
Feminist groups as in sixth form /college clubs and societies. Last year, I went to the feminist society/club at my sixth form. I heard about it via assemblies and was invited to come and check it out which I did. Before going, I thought about the things I would like to say, issues I would like to raise and thought it was the right place to address these issues since I was given the impression that feminism is about the equality of the sexes.
I brought up many issues but the main one was domestic violence against men as this was personal. I had also carried out some research to mention some facts concerning this issue. Now, instead of them listening to the facts I had raised, everything was completely looked over with disregard. After that I never went back ever again. Recently I've been at talks and had spoken to teachers on the matter especially those who consider themselves feminists because I thought they would have the understanding and compassion towards these social issues. Maybe I am wrong but in my opinion I am sensing sarcasm on your behalf. If so, there's no need for that as I am not here to debate with you. I'm only here to discuss actual problems that affect real people. It concerns me that men have higher suicidal rates and that domestic violence against men is rather more accepted compared to domestic violence against women.

.... School clubs. By saying you speak at feminist groups, I actually thought you meant something official, not after school clubs.

Yeah, domestic violence against men and male suicide rates are a concern.

But as I have said many, many, many, times on here, they stem from the exact same sexist values that effect women. And when/ if equality is achieved in regards to attitudes and beliefs, this will benefit males also.

The notion that males are less vulnerable to domestic abuse stems from traditional attitudes that suggest that the male is stronger than the female, and that to admit to being a victim suggests the male is weak, less of a man.

The male is weak, because a female managed to abuse him. I.e., how can a stronger individual be so affected by its weaker counterpart?

Can't you see that those attitudes are the exact same sexist attitudes that effect women, and what feminism is trying to fight. We don't want to be treated as weaker, more vulnerable.

The exact same applies to males and suicide. Men often feel dissuaded from seeking help for mental health issues because they feel it makes them weaker. Less of a man. Whereas the woman is already seen as weaker, so hasn't got that barrier to seeking help/ disclosing suffering.

I.e, the exact same traditional sexist values that also effects women.

It's also worth suggesting you read into the male suicide paradox. The number of attempted suicides between male and females is actually a lot closer than the number of actual suicides. I.e, males tend to be more successful at suicide than women. For want of a better word.

A plausible explanation for this, is that males use more violent methods of suicide- shooting, hanging etc, whereas women use less violent methods- overdose.
This brings me a full circle to my original post, where females perform less violent behaviours in general.

Now, I'm not saying there is an issue with male suicide. There is, but it's not as clear cut as people think.
Reply 57
We'll honestly be better off being judged by artificial intelligence. Humans are inescapably riddled with biases and are essentially rationally-challenged, making trial by judge and a jury of one's peers decidedly inadequate.
This must by partly why people defended my mum when she did stuff to me to wreck my life.

But if it had been my dad if I still got to see him, it doesn't bear thinking about.
Original post by miser
We'll honestly be better off being judged by artificial intelligence. Humans are inescapably riddled with biases and are essentially rationally-challenged, making trial by judge and a jury of one's peers decidedly inadequate.

I saw this post and I thought of Ex Machina - do you think the artificial being Ava was just in her treatment (maybe sentence is a better word) of Caleb? If that's what AI judges would be like, give me an old man in a powdered wig any day.

Quick Reply