The Student Room Group

Future career advice for a recent graduate

Hi,

So I graduated in July 2016 with a First Class Honours degree in Computing. I decided to go on a holiday abroad for a month or so after my graduation ceremony - and I absolutely enjoyed it!

Come September 2016, I was slowly settling back to reality and looking for graduate jobs within the Computing sector. There were quite a few, however they did not appeal to me due to their lack of salary or general satisfaction. October quickly came round the corner and I was literally looking for suitable graduate jobs everyday. Signed up to a few agencies, went on LinkedIn and heavily invested in my LinkedIn profile. After October/mid November an agency contacted me with regards to a job at a leading bank for a 8 month contract. I have always been skeptical about job agencies, but with my frustration in my job search I willingly applied for the job. Getting the job wasn't easy either. Had to do a phone interview, video interview. a face to face interview with the bank and an assessment to top it all off! They offered me the job in the end - but the one thing that has been putting me off is that it isn't really related to Computing. There is no real technicality or programming involved. It is heavily business orientated - my only worry is that I am wasting my time. I am taking the job regardless, but like should I apply to graduate schemes for Computing?
Reply 1
Anyone?
Original post by yunglife
Anyone?

you mentioned this job was from a bank, as if it is a reputable firm (such as an Investment Bank) it will do wonders for you cv if you take it, even if you quit early on.
Reply 3
Original post by thatapanydude
you mentioned this job was from a bank, as if it is a reputable firm (such as an Investment Bank) it will do wonders for you cv if you take it, even if you quit early on.

Thanks for replying to this thread.

Yes, I took up a job offer with a reputable bank - but it is only for a fixed term contract. I want to get into software engineering and development - and at the moment the job I took up is more business analysis. My career views are slightly different in the sense that I want to do something more technical and I don't mind working for banks - but I don't know if I should start applying for graduate jobs now
Reply 4
Original post by thatapanydude

Are other banks not reputable? :K:

Original post by yunglife
Thanks for replying to this thread.

Yes, I took up a job offer with a reputable bank - but it is only for a fixed term contract. I want to get into software engineering and development - and at the moment the job I took up is more business analysis. My career views are slightly different in the sense that I want to do something more technical and I don't mind working for banks - but I don't know if I should start applying for graduate jobs now

Are they offering you a day rate, or a pro-rata salary for the 8 months? (so are you banking a lot of cash out of this)

To be honest, I can see little reason to turn down a good job that's going to boost your CV. You can keep looking for the 'right' job whilst in employment, surely that's better than being unemployed for who knows how long?

Oh and not to be an old grump, but leaving your grad job search until after you've graduated and then "investing heavily in my LinkedIn profile" (what's that, an evening?) is not a good strategy to find the perfect job!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending