The Student Room Group

Would a bad IGCSE grade affect the application for Oxford?

Hey everyone,
I'm applying to Oxford Psychology and Philosophy next year. I took IGCSE exam last year however the results were not quite good. I got an A* in math, A in cooperated science, but B in geo and C in history and english. I'm doing IB course right now and I'm doing physics, math, english, and geo in higher level. My question is: with geo(7), math(6),physics (6),english(6) predicted, to what extent has the results of IGCSE affected my application to Oxford?
min requirement is 766 in higher level
Thanks is advance
Reply 1
Original post by kirito4869
Hey everyone,
I'm applying to Oxford Psychology and Philosophy next year. I took IGCSE exam last year however the results were not quite good. I got an A* in math, A in cooperated science, but B in geo and C in history and english. I'm doing IB course right now and I'm doing physics, math, english, and geo in higher level. My question is: with geo(7), math(6),physics (6),english(6) predicted, to what extent has the results of IGCSE affected my application to Oxford?
min requirement is 766 in higher level
Thanks is advance

If you read the entry requirements they say you are expected to have 4 A*'s at GCSE. iGCSEs are generally considered the same as GCSEs, so this requirement is likely to stand there, too. If you have only got the iGCSE grades listed in this post then it's likely you will be unsuccessful.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
If you read the entry requirements they say you are expected to have 4 A*'s at GCSE. iGCSEs are generally considered the same as GCSEs, so this requirement is likely to stand there, too. If you have only got the iGCSE grades listed in this post then it's likely you will be unsuccessful.

Thank you very much
You haven't got the minimum grades for English at GCSE level of A I assume at Oxford, or B normally so that will likely be a problem, not to mention the overall GCSE grades you need which you don't have unfortunately - GCSE's are the bare minimum you need and they start picking out candidates from them so you need to at least meet those requirements to have a chance, even though your IB predictions are really good. But tbh you should just go for it - since your HL predictions are of their standard, you may be able to make up for the GCSE's with reference and personal statement., and it's better than regretting it later.
Reply 4
Original post by azizadil1998
You haven't got the minimum grades for English at GCSE level of A I assume at Oxford, or B normally so that will likely be a problem, not to mention the overall GCSE grades you need which you don't have unfortunately - GCSE's are the bare minimum you need and they start picking out candidates from them so you need to at least meet those requirements to have a chance, even though your IB predictions are really good. But tbh you should just go for it - since your HL predictions are of their standard, you may be able to make up for the GCSE's with reference and personal statement., and it's better than regretting it later.

Thank you. I'm preparing to retake GCSE english,should I retake geo and history as well since they are not relevant subjects to psychology?
Original post by kirito4869
Thank you. I'm preparing to retake GCSE english,should I retake geo and history as well since they are not relevant subjects to psychology?

Fair enough then. Well I believe as long as you have the grades in GCSE it doesn't matte unless specifically stated so if you get A's from doing geo history RS philosophy it shouldnt be much different? but doing this will require extra revision which may mean you have less time for your a levels so you should be careful.
Reply 6
Original post by azizadil1998
Fair enough then. Well I believe as long as you have the grades in GCSE it doesn't matte unless specifically stated so if you get A's from doing geo history RS philosophy it shouldnt be much different? but doing this will require extra revision which may mean you have less time for your a levels so you should be careful.

Thank you so much, it really helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending