The Student Room Group

pay £80 board - is it too much?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ByronicHero
I know various people from minority ethnic backgrounds who were thrown out by their parents. You are right that it is certainly far less common though. There is a big difference between asking them to leave, and creating very reasonable conditions of residence that they can choose to opt out of.

Asking for your child to make a contribution to their upkeep is entirely reasonable, even if you don't need the money. It teaches them something about responsibility. My child will be doing so as soon as they leave school. If I don't need the money, it will all go into an account they won't know about to be used as a mortgage deposit or whatever. The lesson is valuable.

If you have the money, you should help your parents. I moved out at 16 and have routinely helped my mum out with considerable amounts of money. It seems ridiculous to me that an adult would expect to be in a position to help and not offer to. Let alone waiting to be asked. I agree with you that people mature throughout their 20s, but delaying your child's adulthood for no good reason does them no favours.

I recognise that there are cultural differences, and respect a parents right to support their child for as long as they want. I also commend parents who don't want to let their progeny become overgrown toddlers.

Do you not find this reasonable?

I know my board won't be put into an account, though I'll be doing similar with my money anyway. I had to grow up pretty quick at one point but I wasn't trying to sound like I didn't want to pay it, I was just more curious to see how it compared to others.
Might be a bit steep. In the worse case scenario where They make showers modular which is what happened with me And They make everything have a price then it's greedy. I would say that there are cheaper places to live but If you're in full Time work then it's okay.
Reply 22
Original post by Anfanny
Might be a bit steep. In the worse case scenario where They make showers modular which is what happened with me And They make everything have a price then it's greedy. I would say that there are cheaper places to live but If you're in full Time work then it's okay.

Thanks for your view
I was in full-time education from 18-19 (took an extra year of Sixth Form due to some family issues) and I had to pay £20 board a week. At the time, I wasn't very happy but looking back now, it was more than reasonable. Hearing figures like £80p/w I can only pray for you... You said you're working full-time though? I'm guessing proportionally £80 isn't that much out your wages per week. Could always try negotiating the board figure. Maybe say you'll do X and Y to get a decrease of £10.
Reply 24
Original post by CTLevers
I was in full-time education from 18-19 (took an extra year of Sixth Form due to some family issues) and I had to pay £20 board a week. At the time, I wasn't very happy but looking back now, it was more than reasonable. Hearing figures like £80p/w I can only pray for you... You said you're working full-time though? I'm guessing proportionally £80 isn't that much out your wages per week. Could always try negotiating the board figure. Maybe say you'll do X and Y to get a decrease of £10.

Thanks for this. Yes i'm working full time but I get just below minimum wage. Might try negotiating but don't want to unsettle the atmosphere.
Reply 25
The idea you had for saving it was good. I don't necessarily have a gauge on what is a "decent" amount of money but considering what most have said on here, I think the board is reasonable.
Original post by AnonyMeAMA
Thanks for this. Yes i'm working full time but I get just below minimum wage. Might try negotiating but don't want to unsettle the atmosphere.

Why are you getting paid under minimum wage? Is this an informal family "job" or is this an actual employer? If so, that's quite illegal. Use the lawsuit money to pay your board XD
Reply 27
I don't balance my work with education, just to clarify, and i'm going off adult minimum wage not the under 18/19 one. The percentage idea sounds good but I don't really have anything else I need to spend my wage on so I don't mind contributing.
Reply 28
Original post by CTLevers
Why are you getting paid under minimum wage? Is this an informal family "job" or is this an actual employer? If so, that's quite illegal. Use the lawsuit money to pay your board XD

Sorry I meant under minimum wage for adult earners not the one for under 18/19. It's an actual employer
Reply 29
I think if the child is over 18 and working, the parents should make them pay and put all the money the child gives them to a secret savings account and give it to them when they decide to move out! That's what I'll do with my children (if I ever have any)!
I am afraid you are under their roof so they can do that especially if you are working full time.
I do chores instead-I'd be doing them anyway.
I think if you're earning money and have a stable job then it's perfectly reasonable for parents to charge you rent, and £80 is less than you would pay elsewhere :smile: Otherwise you'd end up like my cousins, who are living at home (for free) into their late 20s/ 30s... Paying rent makes you appreciate what you earn more, become more responsible with your money, and give something back to the parents who have spent the last however many years paying for your food, board, education, holidays, toys, etc.

For students in full-time education it would be different, charging rent would encourage you to do more part-time work and thus detract from your studies.
Reply 33
Original post by elekro
I think if the child is over 18 and working, the parents should make them pay and put all the money the child gives them to a secret savings account and give it to them when they decide to move out! That's what I'll do with my children (if I ever have any)!

What about if they're under 16 like in my case? I think the account is a good idea but I know my rent wouldn't go into one of those
Sorry I meant under minimum wage for adult earners not the one for under 18/19. It's an actual employer

£7.50 - 25+
£7.05 - 21- 24
£5.60 - 18-20
£4.05 - Under 18
£3.50 - Apprentice
This is the minimum wage for 2017. So are you earning less than £5.60p/h?
(edited 7 years ago)
I pay a grand total of £0
Reply 36
Original post by Rock Fan
I am afraid you are under their roof so they can do that especially if you are working full time.

Yeah I understand that, I was just curious to see what others thought and how it compared
What the **** is up white people taking rent from their own children :rofl:
Reply 38
Original post by Ishax
I pay a grand total of £0

How come?
Reply 39
What about if they're under 16 like in my case? I think the account is a good idea but I know my rent wouldn't go into one of those

ah, I'm not in a position to answer. I know nothing about you or your family and your relationship. Plus I come from a background and culture that people never ever ever charge their children for living at home, quite the opposite, they encourage them to do so even when they are forty. If the child gets married then the father builds a house on top of their house so the daughter with the husband can live in. Which can be equally bad to paying rent as it does not cost you anything in money but it does in guilt and feelings of being trapped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending