The Student Room Group

What is a good career option for me?

I really wanted to become a Dentist/Orthodontist but now I am so confused. I'm doing my GCSE's rn so I know I still have time but I'm picking my A-level subjects and now I am unsure if I really want to do it... I applied to a 6th form and chose Bio, Chem and RS and my interview is in March but now I am confused if I actually want to do that! I'm not sure if I want to do a medical career because the only reason I wanted to do is because it is well paid - which shouldn't be the case!

I enjoy English Lang rn and I LOVE reading and writing but I'm not sure what sort of job i can do with that :/ I still want to do a job that will support me in the future and that is well paid but i'm not sure...
I also realised the dentist daily work routine is a bit boring and it's so similar each week and I like a bit of excitement... What is a good career option for me?
Reply 1
Receptionist?
I'm glad you're not after money, because you know what they say.. mo money mo problems
Reply 2
Don't go into a vocational degree simply for the money, they are long and difficult, and you won't be happy. Pick A-level subjects that you enjoy and will do well in. You can always take chemistry and maybe biology to keep your options open.
Can you do 4 A levels? That would help to widen your career options a bit should your interests change. If you're interested in keeping a medicine/ dentistry option open, I would stick with Biology and Chemistry. If you want to keep more humanity based subjects, what you're doing (RS) could be good or something like History is generally very highly regarded. Finally if you end up doing a 4th subject Maths could be a good shout in keeping some other quantitative options.

You say you like reading and writing- have you considered doing a humanity based subject as a degree and then doing a Law conversion course (GDL). If not, I'd recommend getting some relevant work experience in a few fields you're interested in and seeing what suits you best.
Reply 4
Original post by zayn008
Receptionist?
I'm glad you're not after money, because you know what they say.. mo money mo problems

I'm not looking for a job like that... I want a job that is somewhat more practical and I can earn more than just the average salary!
Original post by ax12
Don't go into a vocational degree simply for the money, they are long and difficult, and you won't be happy. Pick A-level subjects that you enjoy and will do well in. You can always take chemistry and maybe biology to keep your options open.

That's exactly what i'm afraid of... Going into medicine and then dropping out because it just 'wasn't for me'

Original post by Percypig17
Can you do 4 A levels? That would help to widen your career options a bit should your interests change. If you're interested in keeping a medicine/ dentistry option open, I would stick with Biology and Chemistry. If you want to keep more humanity based subjects, what you're doing (RS) could be good or something like History is generally very highly regarded. Finally if you end up doing a 4th subject Maths could be a good shout in keeping some other quantitative options.

You say you like reading and writing- have you considered doing a humanity based subject as a degree and then doing a Law conversion course (GDL). If not, I'd recommend getting some relevant work experience in a few fields you're interested in and seeing what suits you best.

I've applied to different 6th forms and they either offer 3 or 4... I wanted to do Bio, Chem, RS and Politics but I'm confused if I want to do Bio+Chem... But now I might do Bio,Chem,English Lang and Politics... I'm not sure if I want to do RS... Is RS better than English Lang or Politics?
Reply 6
You have time to do work experience and things to see whether it's for you. If you're not sure and start the degree, then decide it's not for you, that's fine. What isn't OK is knowing you don't want to do it and going just for the money (which probably isn't as much as you think anyway).

Choosing between RS/English lang/politics will make no difference in your application, so do what you like best!
Original post by Anonymous
I really wanted to become a Dentist/Orthodontist but now I am so confused. I'm doing my GCSE's rn so I know I still have time but I'm picking my A-level subjects and now I am unsure if I really want to do it... I applied to a 6th form and chose Bio, Chem and RS and my interview is in March but now I am confused if I actually want to do that! I'm not sure if I want to do a medical career because the only reason I wanted to do is because it is well paid - which shouldn't be the case!

I enjoy English Lang rn and I LOVE reading and writing but I'm not sure what sort of job i can do with that :/ I still want to do a job that will support me in the future and that is well paid but i'm not sure...
I also realised the dentist daily work routine is a bit boring and it's so similar each week and I like a bit of excitement... What is a good career option for me?

If you want to make money without the years upon years of training that medicine requires, go into investment banking and then hedge funds or private equity if your into that sort of thing. If I were you, I'd start to ask around to do work experience just so you know what kind of jobs you are interested in, also speak to your careers adviser (if your school has one, usually provided my the government).
lool you forgot to put on anonymous in your last post. Id recommend law.
If you really like English and reading and want a potentially well-paying career, then look into becoming a lawyer. However, you'll will only make mega-bucks if you work in London at a commerical City firm, or a barrister at a top set.
Original post by Anonymous

Don't go into medicine just because of the money - it is a long hard road to get to the point where you're earning a decent salary, and the stress/ poor work-life balance etc. means you can't really just sit back and enjoy the money you do get... I used to also have the idea that I wanted some super high-paying career, but as I've gone through uni I've realised that that just isn't for me, I'd rather get an average job and have time to enjoy my life :smile:

It sounds like you are more interested in humanities subjects - despite everyone stressing about the lack of job opportunities etc. there are a LOT of graduate jobs which will accept anyone from any degree background, e.g. marketing, finance, business, consultancy (there's the money...), teaching, etc. and loads more. If you're particularly interested in writing, there are jobs in journalism, creative writing, marketing, etc. which all have a high component of writing. Generally only technical careers like engineering, scientific research, medicine, dentistry, etc. tend to be very specific with degree subject requirements.

I'd recommend trying to get some work experience in things like business, marketing, museums, schools, journalism etc. to try and figure out what kind of career you may be interested in.

In terms of A level subjects, just pick those you enjoy and are doing vaguely well at at GCSE - e.g. History, Politics, RS, English Lit, English Lang, Art, anything like that :smile: Try and have a few "facilitating subjects" (the more "highly regarded" subjects which keep lots of options open - e.g. History, English, Maths, these kinds of things) because sometimes these are looked on more favourably by universities.
Original post by ax12
You have time to do work experience and things to see whether it's for you. If you're not sure and start the degree, then decide it's not for you, that's fine. What isn't OK is knowing you don't want to do it and going just for the money (which probably isn't as much as you think anyway).

Choosing between RS/English lang/politics will make no difference in your application, so do what you like best!

Yes, I have realised that money doesn't always equate to happiness and i don't want to be stressed when i'm older! I did work experience in a dental practice last summer and it was soooo boring but I just thought it was because I wasn't the one doing anything but I have realised that their daily routine is almost the same and not as exciting!

Original post by RegrettingAS
lool you forgot to put on anonymous in your last post. Id recommend law.

Apparenlt you are only allowed to do an annyonmous post if it's embarrasing... which this isnt so I can't use it now :////

I really wanted to go into Law when I was younger but I did some research and there's lots of Lawyers and not enough jobs so I'm confused and scared if I will even get a secure job in Law... What are you doing at A-level?
Original post by Welshstig
If you want to make money without the years upon years of training that medicine requires, go into investment banking and then hedge funds or private equity if your into that sort of thing. If I were you, I'd start to ask around to do work experience just so you know what kind of jobs you are interested in, also speak to your careers adviser (if your school has one, usually provided my the government).

I have already spoken to my career adviser and I was sure I wanted to do medicine... Not sure if my school will let me talk to her again...

My dad was a banker and now has his own brokerage type thing... Still not completely sure what he does lol but I have heard investment bankers have a really difficult job and do you have to be excellent in Maths?? Are you in/planning to go in the investments banking route?
Original post by itsjustmini
I have already spoken to my career adviser and I was sure I wanted to do medicine... Not sure if my school will let me talk to her again...

My dad was a banker and now has his own brokerage type thing... Still not completely sure what he does lol but I have heard investment bankers have a really difficult job and do you have to be excellent in Maths?? Are you in/planning to go in the investments banking route?

You don't have to be excellent in maths at all unless you want to go into trading (i.e. the stock market and that sort of stuff). In fact many investment banks hire people who have not got STEM degrees (though it is very helpful) as investment banking requires the ability to work hard and consistently. The "hard" part of investment banking is the extremely long hours from what I've heard. Personally, I'm not planning to go into investment banking as I wouldn't really enjoy it and would much prefer to go into something like quant trading.
Yes, I have realised that money doesn't always equate to happiness and i don't want to be stressed when i'm older! I did work experience in a dental practice last summer and it was soooo boring but I just thought it was because I wasn't the one doing anything but I have realised that their daily routine is almost the same and not as exciting!

Apparenlt you are only allowed to do an annyonmous post if it's embarrasing... which this isnt so I can't use it now :////

I really wanted to go into Law when I was younger but I did some research and there's lots of Lawyers and not enough jobs so I'm confused and scared if I will even get a secure job in Law... What are you doing at A-level?

I'm doing Maths, Physics and business. Remember Law is one of the most employable degrees and you can do A LOT with it not just become a lawyer, so I would definitely look into it
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Don't go into medicine just because of the money - it is a long hard road to get to the point where you're earning a decent salary, and the stress/ poor work-life balance etc. means you can't really just sit back and enjoy the money you do get... I used to also have the idea that I wanted some super high-paying career, but as I've gone through uni I've realised that that just isn't for me, I'd rather get an average job and have time to enjoy my life :smile:

It sounds like you are more interested in humanities subjects - despite everyone stressing about the lack of job opportunities etc. there are a LOT of graduate jobs which will accept anyone from any degree background, e.g. marketing, finance, business, consultancy (there's the money...), teaching, etc. and loads more. If you're particularly interested in writing, there are jobs in journalism, creative writing, marketing, etc. which all have a high component of writing. Generally only technical careers like engineering, scientific research, medicine, dentistry, etc. tend to be very specific with degree subject requirements.

I'd recommend trying to get some work experience in things like business, marketing, museums, schools, journalism etc. to try and figure out what kind of career you may be interested in.

In terms of A level subjects, just pick those you enjoy and are doing vaguely well at at GCSE - e.g. History, Politics, RS, English Lit, English Lang, Art, anything like that :smile: Try and have a few "facilitating subjects" (the more "highly regarded" subjects which keep lots of options open - e.g. History, English, Maths, these kinds of things) because sometimes these are looked on more favourably by universities.

Thank you! For my a-levels I am still confused because what if I change my mind and I do want to pursue a medical career? So I wanted to choose Bio,Chem,English Lang/RS/Politics <<<(2 out of the 3) but the more I think about it, the more I want to not become a dentist ahaha... But I still don't want to give up on Bio+Chem for A-level because if i do want to become a dentist i still have this option!!!! I'm getting too stressed right now when i should just be focusing on my exams!
Original post by RegrettingAS
I'm doing Maths, Physics and business. Remember Law is one of the most employable degrees and you can do A LOT with it not just become a lawyer, so I would definitely look into it

Yes thank you... But how shall I do that?

And what type of career do you have in mind with your choices? My brother is in Upper 6th right now and he is doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics... He is going towards the engineering direction. But you have chosen business as well so what are you looking to do?
Thank you! For my a-levels I am still confused because what if I change my mind and I do want to pursue a medical career? So I wanted to choose Bio,Chem,English Lang/RS/Politics <<<(2 out of the 3) but the more I think about it, the more I want to not become a dentist ahaha... But I still don't want to give up on Bio+Chem for A-level because if i do want to become a dentist i still have this option!!!! I'm getting too stressed right now when i should just be focusing on my exams!

Ah, don't worry I totally get you! Does your sixth form require you to totally confirm your subject choices or can you make the final decision over the summer/ in September? If they are slightly flexible on it (which most sixth forms generally are, they want to make sure you can study the right subjects for you) then just put down any two of those three (all of which are solid choices :smile: ) and it should be fine :smile: You're right - ideally you need to focus on GCSEs right now rather than getting stressed over A levels already! I'm sure it will all work out fine :smile:

If it helps, doing some work experience for Dentistry and any other options you are considering over the summer might help :smile:
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Ah, don't worry I totally get you! Does your sixth form require you to totally confirm your subject choices or can you make the final decision over the summer/ in September? If they are slightly flexible on it (which most sixth forms generally are, they want to make sure you can study the right subjects for you) then just put down any two of those three (all of which are solid choices :smile: ) and it should be fine :smile: You're right - ideally you need to focus on GCSEs right now rather than getting stressed over A levels already! I'm sure it will all work out fine :smile:

If it helps, doing some work experience for Dentistry and any other options you are considering over the summer might help :smile:

I have already done some work experience in a dental practice (which was boring... sorry not sorry :biggrin:) And I have my subject interviews in March and most sixth forms tell you to write down the subjects you would want to take for A-level but hopefully I will be able to change it! :smile:

Spoiler

I have already done some work experience in a dental practice (which was boring... sorry not sorry :biggrin:) And I have my subject interviews in March and most sixth forms tell you to write down the subjects you would want to take for A-level but hopefully I will be able to change it! :smile:

Spoiler

It sounds like you've already ruled out dentistry tbh... I would say, go with the subjects you most enjoy rather than clinging on to the small chance you go back to dentistry. If you really love Chemistry and Biology then do them because you want to, if not then taking all three of the humanities options you suggested and another subject you enjoy might be a better option :smile:

I'm sure they'll be flexible :smile: If you're really worried you can always phone them up and ask?

Haha, hope your coursework is going well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending