The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Officially having to put a brave face on for my dad who's trying his best to make me love York, even though I'm starting to resent even the idea of university.

Requested to see my feedback - I think I must've messed up my interview or HAA.
Original post by Melanie Leconte
We were told repeatedly that Stephen Hawking had applied to both place, when it was still possible, but was rejected by Cambridge and went to the other place.

No. He went to his father's old college at Oxford, and definitely didn't apply to Cambridge.

I don't think even back then you could apply to both... (I could be wrong on that :smile: )
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Arrived at Cambridge, now en route to Medwards!!! :biggrin:

Good luck fam! When do you find out if you're in or not? :smile:
Original post by Rachel58
Officially having to put a brave face on for my dad who's trying his best to make me love York, even though I'm starting to resent even the idea of university.

Requested to see my feedback - I think I must've messed up my interview or HAA.

:hugs: :console:

Consider reapplication maybe?
Original post by wolfmoon88
:hugs: :console:

Consider reapplication maybe?

And get rejected twice? I don't think my low self-esteem could take it.
Original post by jamestg
I know I should have applied to HSPS, I was almost stupid applying for Econ.

Reasons:
- would've smashed the interview out of the water (I can literally talk to you for hours about how much I love political systems, and I can easily compare the state of politics in different countries)
- the admissions test would have been 10x easier
- A-levels are more suited

Should've applied for Econ and Pol everywhere else, but HSPS at Cambridge.

I was enthusiastic and self taught a lot (but probably nowhere near enough) of Econ before the interview, I just think I wasn't confident enough talking about my subject...

I'm sure if you apply to HSPS then the tutors will easily be able to see how excited you are about it and most likely give you an offer then :smile:

Sometimes it's a risk worth taking :wink::smile:
Original post by NeverLucky
Sometimes it's a risk worth taking :wink::smile:

I'm very glad it worked out for you :smile: Sadly, I do not want to take a gap year, nor do I want to go through the process again for the same outcome - I put a lot into my application, and I doubt my motivation would survive doing so again.
Walked through a huge puddle (ssh it's dark don't judge me) and my vans are soaked and awfully muddy :tongue:

Thanks for the support also @edanski no idea when I find out (hopefully sooner rather than later)

Should probably do some interview prep :redface: right? Been enjoying and exploring too much!
Arrived at Cambridge, now en route to Medwards!!! :biggrin:

Good luck! I was pooled to Medwards so I've spent the past three days researching it and it sounds like it's full of really lovely people so you should be absolutely fine tomorrow. :smile:

(And enjoy Sherlock!)
Original post by PythagoreanBro
Good luck! I was pooled to Medwards so I've spent the past three days researching it and it sounds like it's full of really lovely people so you should be absolutely fine tomorrow. :smile:

(And enjoy Sherlock!)

It's a lovely college so I really hope I get a place. I'm doubtful because there's obviously only limited spaces left and I wont be the only one around being reinterviewed for History. But I would be very happy here if I managed to get an offer!!

:hugs: here's my story about my last few days, perhaps it may help things :smile:

I have been thinking quite a lot about my rejection in the past few days, it's why I tried to decrease my participation in TSR because whenever I came on here, and posted in the Oxford or Cambridge thread, it reminded me of my inadequacies. But yesterday after a long period of reflection, I felt better and the sting is starting to fade away. (also why I am still awake because I have essays to write :tongue:)

I asked myself: What attracted me to Oxford in the first place? was it the intellectual challenge (maybe)? the prestige of the institution (definitely not)? was it the course (yes)? Then I asked myself, what did I like about Oxford? what did I dislike about Oxford? In which institutions can I find things that I liked about Oxford? and can I see myself in my other choices?

I asked the same things about my other choices, why did I apply there in the first place? Where I wanted to go? and what I wanted to do?

I came to the conclusion that I really did not really know what I wanted to do. I rushed my application 2-3 weeks before the deadline (for other reasons that would make this post too long) and I didn't research my other choices properly. The only choice that I was sure of was my course at Oxford. As a result, I didn't make an informed decision about my other 4 choices.

If I never got rejected, I never would have thought about all these things as a self-reflection. I realised that I shouldn't have rushed in head first without finding myself a path if my first choice went awry. Perhaps taking a gap year would help me make more informed decisions about where/what I want to study. It will definitely give me more time than 2-3 weeks to research universities and courses.

If you really are getting doubts about university not being for you, perhaps taking a gap year would not be such a bad idea! If upon reflection you think that being at Cambridge for undergraduate is still the place you want to be, then reapply :smile:

:hugs: have faith in yourself :smile: you got an interview from Cambridge, one of the top institutions in the world! Don't think about a second rejection when you haven't tried it yet :smile:

You still have a lot of time to think :smile: focus on your exams and get the grades, if you do then consider reapplication in the summer. :smile:
Original post by liziepie
Did you ever get your email/letter? :redface:

I STILL haven't found out ;'( hopefully they update UCAS on Monday. :'( If they don't I'm probably gonna email/call them. You got an offer right? :smile:
:hugs: here's my story about my last few days, perhaps it may help things :smile:

I have been thinking quite a lot about my rejection in the past few days, it's why I tried to decrease my participation in TSR because whenever I came on here, and posted in the Oxford or Cambridge thread, it reminded me of my inadequacies. But yesterday after a long period of reflection, I felt better and the sting is starting to fade away. (also why I am still awake because I have essays to write :tongue:)

I asked myself: What attracted me to Oxford in the first place? was it the intellectual challenge (maybe)? the prestige of the institution (definitely not)? was it the course (yes)? Then I asked myself, what did I like about Oxford? what did I dislike about Oxford? In which institutions can I find things that I liked about Oxford? and can I see myself in my other choices?

I asked the same things about my other choices, why did I apply there in the first place? Where I wanted to go? and what I wanted to do?

I came to the conclusion that I really did not really know what I wanted to do. I rushed my application 2-3 weeks before the deadline (for other reasons that would make this post too long) and I didn't research my other choices properly. The only choice that I was sure of was my course at Oxford. As a result, I didn't make an informed decision about my other 4 choices.

If I never got rejected, I never would have thought about all these things as a self-reflection. I realised that I shouldn't have rushed in head first without finding myself a path if my first choice went awry. Perhaps taking a gap year would help me make more informed decisions about where/what I want to study. It will definitely give me more time than 2-3 weeks to research universities and courses.

If you really are getting doubts about university not being for you, perhaps taking a gap year would not be such a bad idea! If upon reflection you think that being at Cambridge for undergraduate is still the place you want to be, then reapply :smile:

:hugs: have faith in yourself :smile: you got an interview from Cambridge, one of the top institutions in the world! Don't think about a second rejection when you haven't tried it yet :smile:

You still have a lot of time to think :smile: focus on your exams and get the grades, if you do then consider reapplication in the summer. :smile:

Aw Wolfie :hugs: you are very precious!
Aw Wolfie :hugs: you are very precious!

:hugs:

Just rambling on about my reflections :tongue: nothing else really. Just hoping that it will help. :smile:
Original post by jneill
No. He went to his father's old college at Oxford, and definitely didn't apply to Cambridge.

I don't think even back then you could apply to both... (I could be wrong on that :smile: )

I *think* it was possible to apply to both in his days.
I'll have to check with a member of our family who was there same time as Hawkins was there (also doing PhD physics at the time)......and remembers seeing him few times walking with a stick.
He'd been to other uni in US for his masters between those period, so .whether he remembers how the admissions system for Oxbridge undergraduate courses was like such a long time ago is.........????..
My husband even couldn't even remember whether he applied through ucas or it was before they joined ucas!!
(edited 7 years ago)
@vincrows I read your post on the philosophy thread :smile:

It was an interesting read, Thank you!

You've taken a lot more logical approach than me - I've mainly been thinking about how the odds have always fallen against me and for once I'd like someone to appreciate that even though I'm not the best in my school, I work so hard everyday just to get by. No one has ever thought that I was special, just because I'm never the best. I got the second highest GCSEs in my Grammar School and it literally means nothing.

I know that I'll enjoy York more than I would've ever enjoyed Cambridge, on reflection. It's a great University for me, and I truly do love it. But for the love of God, can just once someone just realise how hard I work and maybe be like "Good job!"? No. Instead, I work hard for 4 years of my life to go to my second choice university. My brother worked like a month for his A Levels and got into his first choice university and I didn't!!!

I'm not going to say Cambridge is unfair, because obviously they're not, but godddd, it'd be nice to get rewarded for my hard work and an offer really would've represented that.
@vincrows I read your post on the philosophy thread :smile:

It was an interesting read, Thank you!

My wild guess?
I'll be getting out of this forum before ATs in this thread rushing in to tell me off how wrong my post is!! :tongue:
Walked through a huge puddle (ssh it's dark don't judge me) and my vans are soaked and awfully muddy :tongue:

Thanks for the support also @edanski no idea when I find out (hopefully sooner rather than later)

Should probably do some interview prep :redface: right? Been enjoying and exploring too much!

Get reading child :wink: good luck again!

Latest

Trending

Trending