The Student Room Group

Oxbridge 2018 Reapplicants

This is a thread for those that got rejected but feel like reapplying. I know there are several others around, but this is for those interested in 2018 entry.

It's not necessary that you must be 100% sure of the decision - this is mostly just a thread to discuss possibilities.

Form:

Course:
College:
Ox or Cam:
Interviewed? (yes/no):
Feedback?:
School type:
GCSE:
AS:
A2 predictions:
Other qualification (eg IB, AP, etc):
Strengths:
Weaknesses:
What you aim to work on:
What your plans are:

Course: Music :cool:
College: Somerville
Interviewed? (yes/no): yes
Feedback?: None as of yet
School type: State for GCSE, private for AS/A2
GCSE: n/a
AS: AABB (probably the nail in the coffin)
A2 predictions: A*A*AA
Other qualification (eg IB, AP, etc): n/a
Strengths: Interviews esp 2nd and 3rd ones, submitted work, PS, reference
Weaknesses: Achieved grades, audition (rip), interview involving unfamiliar material
What you aim to work on: Getting higher grades (A*AAA/A*A*AA or above), work on unfamiliar music listening/analysis etc
What your plans are: If I exceed the entry requirements (AAA) in August then I will probably re-apply - as much as people might criticise for being a 'prestige seeker' I really enjoyed the tutorials a lot and the course really appeals (esp as 1st year at Durham isn't quite right for me and the 3rd year looks most appealing ngl). Otherwise, I'll go to Durham. :yep:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If I have already achieved a grade will I be required to submit an saq form with ums on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Hanaan999
If I have already achieved a grade will I be required to submit an saq form with ums on?

For Cambridge, if you're reapplying you submit the UCAS as usual and then fill in the SAQ like you did last time so yes.
Original post by auburnstar
This is a thread for those that got rejected but feel like reapplying. I know there are several others around, but this is for those interested in 2018 entry.

It's not necessary that you must be 100% sure of the decision - this is mostly just a thread to discuss possibilities.

Form:

Course:
College:
Interviewed? (yes/no):
Feedback?:
School type:
GCSE:
AS:
A2:
Other qualification (eg IB, AP, etc):
Strengths:
Weaknesses:
What you aim to work on:
What your plans are:

Course: Music :cool:
College: Somerville
Interviewed? (yes/no): yes
Feedback?: None as of yet
School type: State for GCSE, private for AS/A2
GCSE: n/a
AS: AABB (probably the nail in the coffin)
A2: A*A*AA
Strengths: Interviews esp 2nd and 3rd ones, submitted work, PS, reference
Weaknesses: Achieved grades, audition (rip), interview involving unfamiliar material
What you aim to work on: Getting higher grades (A*AAA/A*A*AA or above), work on unfamiliar music listening/analysis etc
What your plans are: If I exceed the entry requirements (AAA) in August then I will probably re-apply. Otherwise, I'll go to Durham. :yep:

Ooh, nice idea!

Course: Classics 1A
College: Merton
Interviewed? (yes/no): Yes
Feedback?: None yet
School type: Home-educated
GCSE: 6A*s, 1A
AS: 4As
A2: Not done yet
Other qualification (eg IB, AP, etc): None
Strengths: Waiting till feedback to be certain
Weaknesses: Waiting till feedback to be certain (though I'm almost certain I bombed my first interview)
What you aim to work on: Doing my A2s, and improving my ability to actually talk with others
What your plans are: Wait for other applications, see how they turn out, visit any offering unis, see how much I like them, and decide what to do from there.
Course: Law
College: Magdalen
Feedback?: Waiting for sure!
School type: Private (international student)
GCSE: 8A* 1A
AS: n/a
A2 predictions: n/a
Other qualification (eg IB, AP, etc): Predicted IB 44
Strengths: My personal statement I think?
Weaknesses: Social interactions, including with tutors :smile: + the LNAT went pretty badly think, not sure though, have not received results.
What you aim to work on: LNAT, interview skills.
What your plans are: Receive uni decisions, if none appeals to me, take a gap year and reapply. Idk what I could possibly do on the gap year though? :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by funkygirl14
What your plans are: Receive uni decisions, if none appeals to me, take a gap year and reapply. Idk what I could possibly do on the gap year though? :s-smilie:

Things to do on a gap year:
- Apply for work placements/internships (these are competitive but I'm sure you're used to competitive things)
- Do wider reading
- Do things related to your course. For you, it's a bit harder (just because law internships are very hard to get into), but perhaps you could volunteer with an organisation doing charity law? For someone doing eg languages travel in another country and teaching works well, for arts/humanities wider reading and practical application look good
- Do some non-academic things just for your own sanity, not to put on the PS
- Brush up on LNAT revision, writing law essays, debating law
- Joining a debate society/model UN etc
- If you wanted to do the year abroad, travelling and learning the language and law of a culture could look like a strong positive

There are many many options! :smile:

Not that I am necessarily planning on doing a gap year but if I were to:
- Work placements, perhaps with arts management/music side of things
- Volunteering or working for the music program in London I have strong ties with
- Teaching and giving instrumental lessons, maybe just even to some kids etc nothing serious
- Wider reading
- Reviewing AS/A2 things, writing essays etc
(edited 7 years ago)
Can I rereapply? (That would be pushing it but much sadness is occurring at the moment)
Things to do on a gap year:
- Apply for work placements/internships (these are competitive but I'm sure you're used to competitive things)
- Do wider reading
- Do things related to your course. For you, it's a bit harder (just because law internships are very hard to get into), but perhaps you could volunteer with an organisation doing charity law? For someone doing eg languages travel in another country and teaching works well, for arts/humanities wider reading and practical application look good
- Do some non-academic things just for your own sanity, not to put on the PS
- Brush up on LNAT revision, writing law essays, debating law
- Joining a debate society/model UN etc
- If you wanted to do the year abroad, travelling and learning the language and law of a culture could look like a strong positive

There are many many options! :smile:

Not that I am necessarily planning on doing a gap year but if I were to:
- Work placements, perhaps with arts management/music side of things
- Volunteering or working for the music program in London I have strong ties with
- Teaching and giving instrumental lessons, maybe just even to some kids etc nothing serious
- Wider reading
- Reviewing AS/A2 things, writing essays etc

OMG these are all so good, omg! Thank you so much, great!
Hi folks, I've already posted in the other 2018 thread, but I may as well post here too:

Course: Maths and Computer Science
College: St. John's
Feedback?: None yet
School type: State Comprehensive (Scottish)
National 5s: 7 As (Maths, English, Physics, Chemistry, CompSci, History, Music)
Highers: 5 As (Maths, English, Physics, CompSci, History)
Adv. Higher predictions: 3 As (Maths, Physics, CompSci)
Strengths: Can't say for sure w/o feedback, but I think the MAT went well, and my interviews at Balliol went well, good reference, solid grades (we don't have an A*, so the A is the highest grade possible).
Weaknesses: Can't say for sure w/o feedback, but I think the Maths interview at St. John's went very badly (didn't get very far, on a really bad topic and quite a bit of silence).
What you aim to work on: Mainly being more comfortable with talking about maths with people. I might also look over some STEP work for extra problem solving stuff, and brush up on some weaker areas (like geometry)
What your plans are: Mainly depends on the feedback. If the feedback's quite good, and my MAT score was solid (as in above the average for successful applicants), I'll probably start first year for Maths and CompSci (+ another subject, most likely Statistics) at Glasgow (Scottish universities are typically a year longer, so I'd still recieve funding, plus gap years for maths normally aren't a good idea), then reapply while I'm there (I'd be very happy to study in Glasgow, but I definitely prefer the Oxford course, particularly on the CompSci side, plus if I stayed at Glasgow I'd most likely be commuting, which I'm worried could be quite isolating).

On a similar note, does anyone have ideas as to which colleges they would be considering next time around? I quite liked Balliol while I was there (the place was nice and the tutors seemed friendly, though it's apparently not the best idea to choose a college you've already been interviewed at), and when I was deciding this year I also considered Merton and Univ (though compared to Balliol they're a bit out of the way, which is perhaps a good thing in some respects).
Original post by mazzaion
Can I rereapply? (That would be pushing it but much sadness is occurring at the moment)

You could, but you risk going into an endless cycle of reapplications and trying to get into Oxford.
Original post by lewman99

On a similar note, does anyone have ideas as to which colleges they would be considering next time around? I quite liked Balliol while I was there (the place was nice and the tutors seemed friendly, though it's apparently not the best idea to choose a college you've already been interviewed at), and when I was deciding this year I also considered Merton and Univ (though compared to Balliol they're a bit out of the way, which is perhaps a good thing in some respects).

Yea, not a good idea to choose a college you've already interviewed at because they'll remember you and more easily remember "oh he/she didn't get in" than someone who has just dealt with a name and no face.

I'm considering St John's (or *gasp* Cam but considering my AS results and the interview assessment tests that they do I may or may not do that). I interviewed at Somerville and the music faculty (for LMH) and whilst Somerville and its tutors were lovely, I'm not going to risk it when all colleges have the same rep anyway. xD
Original post by mazzaion

Oh no, you didn't get in either? I'm so sorry, I don't think we've talked but I remember you well and I was so rooting for you :frown:

I'm playing around with the idea of rereapplying too lol. Most likely I won't but I just hate the idea of giving Oxford up after all I've been through. How are you feeling about your other offers?

Maybe we should just all gang up, go to other unis and after three years all apply and become The TSR Squad Who Got Rejected But Then Ended Up Kicking Ass Postgrad.

A bit awkward though that the guy who's running the Master's course I'm looking at interviewed me this year. He just sat in the corner looking amused and didn't get up to shake my hand when I came and left.
Original post by wolfmoon88
You could, but you risk going into an endless cycle of reapplications and trying to get into Oxford.

Yes, you can reapply and reapplicants can and have been successful. That every year of experience and having done A-levels can be a massive benefit, both in terms of interview confidence/maturity and greater knowledge. Given the natural element of luck involved (what the competition is like, the assessment of what is ultimately a formal discussion etc), those that exceed the grades should consider reapplying if they really love the course.

There is the possibility of a double rejection, true. But then there is also always the possibility of "what if?". Reapplying once can be a wise choice, provided there's a reason. More than that and it becomes a bit silly and you live your life on a perpetual gap year (student loan lasts only for the length of course + 1 year).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by StationToStation
Oh no, you didn't get in either? I'm so sorry, I don't think we've talked but I remember you well and I was so rooting for you :frown:

I'm playing around with the idea of rereapplying too lol. Most likely I won't but I just hate the idea of giving Oxford up after all I've been through. How are you feeling about your other offers?

Maybe we should just all gang up, go to other unis and after three years all apply and become The TSR Squad Who Got Rejected But Then Ended Up Kicking Ass Postgrad.

A bit awkward though that the guy who's running the Master's course I'm looking at interviewed me this year. He just sat in the corner looking amused and didn't get up to shake my hand when I came and left.

So Station was this your second try or first?

We'll either become the TSR Squad Who Do Really Well At A Level And Try Again or the TSR Squad Who Apply For Masters lmao.

I hope the not shaking hands bit doesn't mean a poor performance because not everyone who interviewed me did xD
So Station was this your second try or first?

We'll either become the TSR Squad Who Do Really Well At A Level And Try Again or the TSR Squad Who Apply For Masters lmao.

I hope the not shaking hands bit doesn't mean a poor performance because not everyone who interviewed me did xD

This was my second try. Last year I decided to apply to the UK on like a month's notice. I had minimal knowledge about the process and no one to guide me so I ended up submitting a dreadful application (I didn't have any work experience bc that's not a thing in Finland where I live, and we also don't have personal statements or interviews etc so I wasn't prepared at all for those. It was basically a suicide of an application lmao.) This year I really tried and imo had a competitive application. :smile:

Haha no I don't think so! I think the guy who I talked about was just too comfortable on the couch :tongue:
This was my second try. Last year I decided to apply to the UK on like a month's notice. I had minimal knowledge about the process and no one to guide me so I ended up submitting a dreadful application (I didn't have any work experience bc that's not a thing in Finland where I live, and we also don't have personal statements or interviews etc so I wasn't prepared at all for those. It was basically a suicide of an application lmao.) This year I really tried and imo had a competitive application. :smile:

Haha no I don't think so! I think the guy who I talked about was just too comfortable on the couch :tongue:

Ah, I understand.

And gosh, that sounds like my interviewer lol. 'Sit here please' so he could have the couch xDD
Ah, I understand.

And gosh, that sounds like my interviewer lol. 'Sit here please' so he could have the couch xDD

Oh no! :biggrin:
Oh no! :biggrin:

Probably for best though as one matter of discussion of the English applicants was that the tutor judged you for sitting on the couch or the chair. Probably apocryphal.
Yea, not a good idea to choose a college you've already interviewed at because they'll remember you and more easily remember "oh he/she didn't get in" than someone who has just dealt with a name and no face.

I'm considering St John's (or *gasp* Cam but considering my AS results and the interview assessment tests that they do I may or may not do that). I interviewed at Somerville and the music faculty (for LMH) and whilst Somerville and its tutors were lovely, I'm not going to risk it when all colleges have the same rep anyway. xD

Yeah, very true. I know that @fablereader applied to Merton - how did you find it?

St John's is really nice, by the way. It's in a great location, the rooms are nice and big, and there was a bunch to do during interviews. Some of us even found this little outdoor conservatory with a giant chess set in it. One night we had a very serious murder mystery - well, as serious as you can get when you have a 20-something student in a red hoodie pretending to be a butler that's just left his wife :tongue:,

While I was at Oxford I actually had interviews at Somerville. I never thought you could have an interview that was relaxing, but somehow that's what my maths interview was like (still difficult, mind you, but in a strange way very relaxing). It seemed like a nice place (and it's literally right next to the Maths Institute), but it was a bit small for my liking.
Course: Physics
College: St Anne's
Feedback?: Not yet
School type: State
GCSE: 3A* 6A
AS: AAAAB
A2 predictions: A*A*AA
Strengths: Idk. didn't get in so can't be much
Weaknesses: lol... too many
What you aim to work on: Just gonna aim to exceed predictions so gives me a stronger chance next year
What your plans are:Probably gonna do STEP I and AFM to keep the maths good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending