The Student Room Group

Does height matter much to girls at 16?

I'm 16, 17 in 4 months, and I'm 5'4. I know you don't stop growing until you're 21, and I'm just hoping I can become at least 5'9 (my dad's height) before my growth plates fuse. I started sixth form in September and I've noticed 90% of the males there are taller than me. I'm usually taller or the same size as girls though. I've become really self-conscious about it. I went to the doctors about it and they told me to get a good estimation of your final height, you average your parents and add 3 inches. My mam is 5'7 and my dad is 5'9 so I'm estimated to be around 5'11 for my final height. They've referred me to the hospital and I have an appointment there on 20th February. I'm assuming to see if my growth plates are still open etc. Just hoping I hit a growth spurt as nobody in my family, who's a male, is below 5'9.

My question then, does height mean a lot to girls who are the same age as me (16/17)? I've been told I'm not ugly by a lot of people. Would you date someone who was nice to you but was small but still growing?
I'm sorry to say that to a lot of girls at that age, yes, it does matter. But on a brighter note in a few years time a lot will get over that nonsense and not care so much.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 16, 17 in 4 months, and I'm 5'4. I know you don't stop growing until you're 21, and I'm just hoping I can become at least 5'9 (my dad's height) before my growth plates fuse. I started sixth form in September and I've noticed 90% of the males there are taller than me. I'm usually taller or the same size as girls though. I've become really self-conscious about it. I went to the doctors about it and they told me to get a good estimation of your final height, you average your parents and add 3 inches. My mam is 5'7 and my dad is 5'9 so I'm estimated to be around 5'11 for my final height. They've referred me to the hospital and I have an appointment there on 20th February. I'm assuming to see if my growth plates are still open etc. Just hoping I hit a growth spurt as nobody in my family, who's a male, is below 5'9.

My question then, does height mean a lot to girls who are the same age as me (16/17)? I've been told I'm not ugly by a lot of people. Would you date someone who was nice to you but was small but still growing?

Depends how tall the girl is. For, me im 5'10. I would usually only date people who are taller/ same height or up to around 3 inches smaller then me. So 5'7. So it does sort of matter for me.
Ask your dad the age he had grwoth spurts, you probably will have (or had) yours similar to his.
There are other things that matter more than height man, like intelligence, looks, charisma, confidence, etc.
Hit the gym, play sports, do something that'll take your mind off something so trivial.
Doesnt matter aslong as you are taller than them

IMO if you have the personality like confidence that will make you stand out from someone who is 6'2 but lacking personality
Yes of course it would matter.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Doesnt matter aslong as you are taller than them

IMO if you have the personality like confidence that will make you stand out from someone who is 6'2 but lacking personality

So basically, "it does matter".
So basically, "it does matter".

Again, going into anonymous. Why don't you show yourself you LARPing cringemaster?

I bet you're that one 6'2 guy that has no arms kek.

And i'll admit it, i'm the king of manlets (5'10), but i'm most likely stronger than you.
Reply 8
Yes of course it would matter.

How is that so obvious?
Reply 9

height calculator says you should be around 5ft 10.5

http://www.parenting.com/height-calculator

at almost 17 you're pretty much done i'm afraid. Quite rare to see someone have a late growth spurt at that age. I think Justin Beiber gained about 2 inches at around 16 ...but like I said ...it's pretty rare.

Realistically if you are being optimistic, I would say 5ft 6 max will be your biggest potential ...but again that is being fairly optimistic. You have to prepare yourself to accept the fact that 5ft 4 may indeed be your final height.

unfortunately a guy who is 5ft 4 will generally struggle with dating. It's a shallow world ..and most women do discriminate on height.

ofcourse, there's always going to be a few women who will date a shorter guy, but they are pretty rare.

when you are 18+ you may want to consider leg lengthening surgery. It is an extreme procedure and you will endure lots of physical pain ....however it will make you a few inches taller. Make sure you research it thoroughly though as it's not something to be taken lightly
Original post by ANM775
height calculator says you should be around 5ft 10.5

http://www.parenting.com/height-calculator

at almost 17 you're pretty much done i'm afraid. Quite rare to see someone have a late growth spurt at that age. I think Justin Beiber gained about 2 inches at around 16 ...but like I said ...it's pretty rare.

Realistically if you are being optimistic, I would say 5ft 6 max will be your biggest potential ...but again that is being fairly optimistic. You have to prepare yourself to accept the fact that 5ft 4 may indeed be your final height.

unfortunately a guy who is 5ft 4 will generally struggle with dating. It's a shallow world ..and most women do discriminate on height.

ofcourse, there's always going to be a few women who will date a shorter guy, but they are pretty rare.

when you are 18+ you may want to consider leg lengthening surgery. It is an extreme procedure and you will endure lots of physical pain ....however it will make you a few inches taller. Make sure you research it thoroughly though as it's not something to be taken lightly

Made me sort of sad reading that lmao. I'll just wait and see what the hospital say.

Ideally you don't, but I actually shot up to 5'8" at fifteen and then stopped.
For some girls it will matter at the start, however, if you allow someone to get to know the real you, it shouldn't matter as your height doesn't define your personality.
from 16 to 21 I gained 5 inches
Original post by Carthaginian
Again, going into anonymous. Why don't you show yourself you LARPing cringemaster?

I bet you're that one 6'2 guy that has no arms kek.

And i'll admit it, i'm the king of manlets (5'10), but i'm most likely stronger than you.

Yeah anon was probably unnecessary. But you don't know my gender or height lol. I wasn't trying to criticise anyone. Please don't interpret my post as an insult against you or anyone else.

I was just making the point (perhaps not very clearly) that people quite often make comments like "Oh, height doesn't matter, as long as you're taller than the girl", but if OP is 5ft4, then he's actually going to be shorter than most girls tbh.
From my personal perspective, I'm 5"1 and I would much prefer to date someone who wasn't massively taller than me. So someone about your height would be my perfect match!

If you're only 16 I think you will definitely grow more before you reach your final height, but if not then you've just got to find a fellow shortie :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending