The Student Room Group

Black students at university uncomfortable by old white professors

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
"The Area". :hubba:

I was fundraising for a registered well known charity lol
Original post by LegalDiaries
So the next time you try to stifle free speech with the lazy comment of "if you don't like it, go elsewhere" think twice! These lands were built with the sweat of our ancestors, using what belonged to our ancestors. Save us the speech of "go elsewhere" We are entitled to complain because we are not getting free education. We pay for this!

No. We, the majority, pay for this.

UK has a lot of white people in it, so you'd expect SOAS to have a load of white professors in it, being a university INSIDE the UK.

So any black or minority group with a chip on their shoulder -- should apply for uni in black/non-white majority country if they have a problem with being taught by old white dudes.
Everytime a conversation around racism comes up, there will always be that one person that says "if you don't like it, go elsewhere."

How brilliant. How amazing. How nice of you!

As a black person, I can totally relate! I have sat in a class and listened to a professor belittle where I come from and I have taken it all in silence because when you speak up, the entitled ones are quick to tell you "if you don't like it, go elsewhere". Meanwhile you are paying over 25k in tuition while they are paying less than 15k! The irony! The nerve!!

I am one of those who has no energy left of discussing with racists. I cannot! I just avoid them like the plague they are.

So the next time you try to stifle free speech with the lazy comment of "if you don't like it, go elsewhere" think twice! These lands were built with the sweat of our ancestors, using what belonged to our ancestors. Save us the speech of "go elsewhere" We are entitled to complain because we are not getting free education. We pay for this!

Where are you from? I get my hometown (Birmingham) mocked left right and center, stop crying about someone's views or prejudices.
It is not called The School of Oriental and Asian Studies.

It is called the School of Oriental and African Studies.

Oh right my bad :smile:

Regardless my point still stands
You did it for money?!

I never said that lol
Original post by alexschmalex
It's the insinuation that someone who isn't the same color as them isn't properly equipped to teach them. If all the race roles in the article were swapped and it was white students saying they felt uncomfortable being taught by an ethnic minority, imagine the explosion of anger on black twitter. To say that the reason that white students were doing better than non-white students is mainly due to white privilege is a lazy cop out. I feel like most of the kids complaining expected SOAS to be a Black Panther 2.0 university and got bummed out when they found out Linda from across the street also got an offer to study there.

You choose to take that insinuation, but it was no where stated, or even implied that a person of different colour isn't "properly equipped to teach".

No where. It's completely irrational to infer that.
Original post by AperfectBalance
I cant stand being around black professors or teachers

I am completely fed up with your disgusting posts. You don't belong here.
Original post by Twinpeaks
I am completely fed up with your disgusting posts. You don't belong here.

Was simply proving a point that what these students said is racist and that denying that is stupid. I dont actually care for the colour of my teachers
Which is precisely what you were criticising the posters here for saying about the black students...

What do you mean?

Original post by AperfectBalance
Was simply proving a point that what these students said is racist and that denying that is stupid. I dont actually care for the colour of my teachers

Okay I get you, but still they didn't say anything remotely like that?
What do you mean?

Okay I get you, but still they didn't say anything remotely like that?

Saying that they are uncomfortable around old white teachers is pretty racist.
Sure if they said that they have experienced racism but blanketing all white old people as racist is wrong.
Original post by Pikachū
What do you mean by belittle where you come from?

Its an experience that causes me so much anxiety that I would rather not talk about. But yes, the dude formed an opinion about my country and my people and came to perpetrate that opinion in a class. That opinion included a description that we are primitive!!

I am literally over racism!

I don't have any patience for it or for those who try to downplay it.
Ridiculous. All of my lectures are white, and the one I see the most is Cambridge-educated and older. Not a problem with that. I'm sick of people moaning over stupid things. :l
Its an experience that causes me so much anxiety that I would rather not talk about. But yes, the dude formed an opinion about my country and my people and came to perpetrate that opinion in a class. That opinion included a description that we are primitive!!

I am literally over racism!

I don't have any patience for it or for those who try to downplay it.

Do you need a safe space?
Original post by Pikachū
Do you need a safe space?

Thankfully, that happened about a year ago and I have since moved on from that specific class but it left a sour taste in my mouth and increased my belief that racism is alive and well in the developed United Kingdom.

Speaking of safe spaces, In September 2016, Prime Minister Theresa May hit out at universities for implementing "safe space" policies amid concerns that self-censorship is curtailing freedom of speech on campuses. The Prime Minister said it was "quite extraordinary" for universities to ban the discussion of certain topics which could cause offence. She warned that stifling free speech could have a negative impact on Britain's economic and social success."
I simply cannot with all this drama.
Thankfully, that happened about a year ago and I have since moved on from that specific class but it left a sour taste in my mouth and increased my belief that racism is alive and well in the developed United Kingdom.

Speaking of safe spaces, In September 2016, Prime Minister Theresa May hit out at universities for implementing "safe space" policies amid concerns that self-censorship is curtailing freedom of speech on campuses. The Prime Minister said it was "quite extraordinary" for universities to ban the discussion of certain topics which could cause offence. She warned that stifling free speech could have a negative impact on Britain's economic and social success."
I simply cannot with all this drama.

You're actually not even saying what the professor said. My guess is that he didn't really say anything too bad. :smile:
You choose to take that insinuation, but it was no where stated, or even implied that a person of different colour isn't "properly equipped to teach".

No where. It's completely irrational to infer that.

"One student told researchers: 'Both of my tutors are white men. How can I have a rapport and feel comfortable talking to a 60-year-old white man?'"

“Our experiences of life are so different and you’re coming from completely different places.”

"Some felt it unrealistic to expect their white tutors to be able to empathise with their problems, especially those who had experienced racial abuse in comparable settings in the past."

I don't really know what else I'm supposed to take from that except for the specific people that said these things don't feel like they can be taught by a white person. Truth be told, I'm only on page 14 of the actual full report and from what I gather so far (not gonna read the full thing because ngl I'm too tired to care), it sounds like a lot of the students at the focus groups are unneccesarily scared of their white classmates and it's causing a rift. To paraphrase, I'm reading that the students feel they're always being talked over, having conversations dominated by the white students, not having teachers "stick up" for them (whatever that means), and they're generally uncomfortable to speak their minds because they fear the reaction.

To me personally, that's absolute BS. For example, in the part that says that white males dominated conversations and perpetuated racist/sexist stereotypes if a black woman tried to speak, is the bigger issue here that the males are white or that they're *******s in general? I'm sure you or someone else will say I'm "too white" to truly empathize, but I personally hate some of the victim mentality on display here. Again, I've only read a third of it but I think it's futile to complain about not being "allowed" to participate when the effort isn't really being made. Just like that black guy on Twitter who got asked to give his seat to a friend of the people at his table, stand your damn ground and don't let people walk over you. I'm not gonna pretend I'm not damaged as hell, I'm sure that not everyone at this uni has had the easiest upbringing and it's definitely harder growing up non-white, however I think they're falling back too hard on the "I need to prove to all these white people I'm just as good if not better" mentality is more damaging than helpful because it sets unrealistic expectations of us going from Joseph the castaway slave to Joseph become 2nd in command over Egypt.

Anyways, essay over, I have no quarrel with you just letting off my random thoughts. They can do what they want tbh, my life goes on just like theirs will. @StrawbAri I'm sorry for arguing online don't hurt me 😭
Original post by Pikachū
You're actually not even saying what the professor said. My guess is that he didn't really say anything too bad. :smile:

If you bothered to read my comment before this one, instead of trolling to get my attention, maybe you would know what he said.

Y'all racists are tiring!
Reply 57
Even if you decided it was a good thing to balance university professors by ethnicity, such a concern is still in competition with more fundamental goals of the university, namely hiring the people who are the most capable.

That's assuming it's an actual problem. University students seem to have become such cry babies in the last few years, it's hard to tell if any complaint is legitimate or just another case of hurt feelings.

As an aside, I'm currently studying at a Japanese language school. All my teachers are Japanese, which has really been such a barrier for me learning the language. Excuse me while I try to get an article in the Evening Standard.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zayn008
Link to article: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/education/black-soas-students-uncomfortable-being-taught-by-old-white-professors-a3441006.html

What do you think? What would the reaction be if it were the other way around?

It's racist

Posted from TSR Mobile
What an absolutely pathetic sentiment. The only people being racist here are the students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending