The Student Room Group

I can answer qs on maths or physics

Sup dudes and dudettes, I'm free for the next couple of hours so if you are stuck on any maths or physics questions/topic then hmu. I am currently doing physics at Cambridge and will try my best to help :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Darth_Narwhale
Sup dudes and dudettes, I'm free for the next couple of hours so if you are stuck on any maths or physics questions/topic then hmu. I am currently doing physics at Cambridge and will try my best to help :smile:

If you want to help, just go around and answering unanswered threads. No-one will bother with a thread like this.

Please could you help me with this trig question?

solve for 0 < x < 360 degrees

2sin(x) = cos(x+60)

This is what i've got so far....

cos(x+60) = cosx cos60 - sinx sin60

i just can't see where i have to go with it next....

Original post by ellie12344
Please could you help me with this trig question?

solve for 0 < x < 360 degrees

2sin(x) = cos(x+60)

This is what i've got so far....

cos(x+60) = cosx cos60 - sinx sin60

i just can't see where i have to go with it next....

You know what cos (60) and sin(60) are, so you are left with an expression of sin(x) and cos(x). Get all the sin(x) terms on one side of the = and the cos(x) terms on the other side. Then divide by cos(x) to get something along the lines of tan(x) = ...

Then just type it into the calculator. I got 9.9 and 189.9 but I may have made a mistake somewhere :smile:
Reply 4
Unparseable latex formula:

[br] [br]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\!\!\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-r^2}r\,dr\,d\theta = \pi \[br] [br]

You know what cos (60) and sin(60) are, so you are left with an expression of sin(x) and cos(x). Get all the sin(x) terms on one side of the = and the cos(x) terms on the other side. Then divide by cos(x) to get something along the lines of tan(x) = ...

Then just type it into the calculator. I got 9.9 and 189.9 but I may have made a mistake somewhere :smile:

Thank you very much!!!!
Original post by Pikachū
[br][br]02π ⁣ ⁣0er2rdrdθ=π [br][br] [br] [br]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\!\!\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-r^2}r\,dr\,d\theta = \pi \ [br] [br]

What the hell is that O.o The only sign I know is the Integral, Change in (d) and Pi.

Oh and the number 0.

What does that formula do.....
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pikachū
[br][br]02π ⁣ ⁣0er2rdrdθ=π [br][br] [br] [br]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\!\!\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-r^2}r\,dr\,d\theta = \pi \ [br] [br]

What on earth is the upper bound for the inner integrand?
Reply 8
Original post by Bulletzone
What the hell is that O.o The only sign I know is the Integral, Change in (d) and Pi.

Oh and the number 0.

What does that formula do.....

Grade 11 Japanese maths :yes:
Original post by Pikachū

The hardest Year 11 maths i did was Quadratics :rofl:
Original post by Pikachū

That's a gaussian integral in polar, but with an extra factor of r right? If the extra r wasn't there it would just be (pi)^1/2 I think...

Quick Reply

Latest