The Student Room Group

Why do so many people hate maths?

Whenever I ask a group of people which subject they hate the most or find the hardest, about 80-90% of them will name maths (and then the second highest would be physics)

I was just wondering why people find it so difficult / so hard?

I personally enjoy maths and hate subjects like English because it's so wishy-washy (by that I mean maths is usually just right or wrong and it's very logical).

I get that some people just have their dislikes but the dislike of maths seems to be so much more prevalent than other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

People aren't exactly going to be fond of something they're bad at
It gets taught incorrectly - learning by rote - which I personally believe is just terrible.
Because we cannot do it :laugh:
Because maths is so uncreative! With subject such as English the answer to a question can be explored by the individual, and will be answered differently depending on the person! A lot of people don't enjoy the logic involved in maths as theres only one right answer, and if you are unable to figure out the answer, then you're left embittered and confused :smile:
I don't possess a logical brain sadly, I was always pushed into the humanities although my degree of choice is STEM and I find English to be relatively easy
Reply 6
Because you need logic and the ability to think to do maths which most people don't have.
Because it is taught badly, at least that was my experience. I was taught to put the right numbers in the right boxes for possible exam questions. Sure, it got almost everyone in the class an A at A level (back when A* didn't exist), but it was so sodding dull.
I love math!! I love how there's a definite answer(s) in Maths, it just makes me satisfied to know that for sure, I either have the right answer or the wrong one. I usually excel in humanities subjects but it's the matter of the fact that I just don't like them and find them tediously hard; I never know if what I'm writing is going to be considered 'correct enough'. (ironically enough, I love how there isn't a clear answer in Physics and how much of it in what I know of GCSE Physics is basically theory.)
It's yawn inducing?
Because they have "died". They've gone to meet the Supreme Fascist.
I just suck at most academic subjects and excel at the creative, less respected ones :smile:
They have an aversion to it because they aren't good at it.
Original post by Faloodeh
I just suck at most academic subjects and excel at the creative, less respected ones :smile:

That sucks; I'm sorry :frown:. I know what you mean, it's the same with Media Studies for me, I really enjoy it and love what we're learning and would have definitely picked it for A-levels but it's not considered an 'academic subject' by most Unis. :colonhash:
Original post by saharan_skies
That sucks; I'm sorry :frown:. I know what you mean, it's the same with Media Studies for me, I really enjoy it and love what we're learning and would have definitely picked it for A-levels but it's not considered an 'academic subject' by most Unis. :colonhash:

No worries haha nothing my blood sweat and tears cant fix. Yeah I've heard about that! What about film studies though? Do you know?
No worries haha nothing my blood sweat and tears cant fix. Yeah I've heard about that! What about film studies though? Do you know?

I've heard that anything that's not a 'traditional' subject is usually not considered an academic subject by 'top universities'. (Like the sciences, Maths (further too), English, Humanities, Languages, etc etc. are academic subjects)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by magicalodyssey
Because maths is so uncreative! With subject such as English the answer to a question can be explored by the individual, and will be answered differently depending on the person! A lot of people don't enjoy the logic involved in maths as theres only one right answer, and if you are unable to figure out the answer, then you're left embittered and confused :smile:

There are over 300 proofs of Pythagoras' theorem. There is not "only one right answer".

I am not a mathematician, but I do at least understand that it is an incredibly creative subject. How could it be that people can spend their lives studying the subject? People who are mathematicians don't just sit in rooms adding numbers up to see what they come to.

I was told a story about a question on a paper for one of the hardest maths competitions for secondary school students, in which the people who set the paper had a mark scheme that was a page and a half long. A sixteen year old student noticed something they hadn't and, correctly, answered the question in two lines. How dare you say that maths isn't creative!?">£
Original post by saharan_skies
I've heard that anything that's not a 'traditional' subject is usually not considered an academic subject by 'top universities'. (Like the sciences, Maths (further too), English, Humanities, Languages, etc etc. are academic subjects)

Damn it! I shouldve listened to my parents and become a doctor :angry:
Reply 18
Because school maths is a load of repetitive, entirely uninspiring sh*te
Damn it! I shouldve listened to my parents and become a doctor :angry:

What do you mean you didn't become a doctor??????:angry::angry::angry:
pfft, I 'thankfully' picked a respectable(??) field that they approve of. Astrophysics is it for me :biggrin: What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest