The Student Room Group

Should we put a time limit on job seekers allowance?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Farchitect
Then what? Let them resort to crime to feed themselves and become a curse on their communities?

The whole point of job seekers allowance is people are on it WHILST SEEKING A JOB. For people who have childcare commitments or anything like that shouldn't be on jobseekers (Ie people who can't work for whatever reason), there should be something separate for them. it's becoming more of a thing now where people are on JSA and then not looking for a job.

This is partly why you can't claim JSA as a student. You are expected to be able to work full time when the opportunity comes it, it doesn't matter what it is. If you haven't been able to find a job in a year then honestly you're not looking hard enough or applying right. (This applies to any job from cleaning to being a CEO, you should be able to find SOMETHING). Yet it seems these days that so many people are turning jobs down because it's not what they want to do. That doesn't matter. Take the crappy job and work your way up.
Original post by Jackieox
The whole point of job seekers allowance is people are on it WHILST SEEKING A JOB. For people who have childcare commitments or anything like that shouldn't be on jobseekers (Ie people who can't work for whatever reason), there should be something separate for them. it's becoming more of a thing now where people are on JSA and then not looking for a job.

This is partly why you can't claim JSA as a student. You are expected to be able to work full time when the opportunity comes it, it doesn't matter what it is. If you haven't been able to find a job in a year then honestly you're not looking hard enough or applying right. (This applies to any job from cleaning to being a CEO, you should be able to find SOMETHING). Yet it seems these days that so many people are turning jobs down because it's not what they want to do. That doesn't matter. Take the crappy job and work your way up.

Why does having childcare commitments prevent you from working? There is assistance avialable for childcare. What is your evidence saying people on JSA are not looking for a job? the whole point of the system is that you make yourself available for work and take acive measures in seeking employment, if you cnat then you should be claiming JSA..

What experience of the system do you have?

You cant claim JSA whilst a student because you get a student loan. You arent allowed to turn down jobs.
Original post by 999tigger
If you are going to put a limit on, then what sort of additional support will you oprovide in helping people obtain work? IT might be easu in places like London where there are plenty of jobs, but not the case in areas of high unemployment.

That I am afraid is the fallacy.

Unemployment rate London 5.5%

Unemployment rate North West 5.3%

Unemployment rate Yorks/Humber 5.3%

Unemployment rate West Midlands 5.3%

Unemployment rate Scotland 5.3%

Unemploymment rate Wales 4.3%

Unemployment rate South West 3.7%

Only Northern Ireland marginally (5.7%) and the North East (6.5%) have greater levels of Unemployment than London

My view is that the duration of JSA should be regionalised and in areas where there are a lot of jobs, JSA should be time-limited. We should start by saying 12 months in London. It is easier for the workshy to hide in London than elsewhere.
Original post by nulli tertius
That I am afraid is the fallacy.

Unemployment rate London 5.5%

Unemployment rate North West 5.3%

Unemployment rate Yorks/Humber 5.3%

Unemployment rate West Midlands 5.3%

Unemployment rate Scotland 5.3%

Unemploymment rate Wales 4.3%

Unemployment rate South West 3.7%

Only Northern Ireland marginally (5.7%) and the North East (6.5%) have greater levels of Unemployment than London

My view is that the duration of JSA should be regionalised and in areas where there are a lot of jobs, JSA should be time-limited. We should start by saying 12 months in London. It is easier for the workshy to hide in London than elsewhere.

Unemployemnt rate isnt always a reliable indicator on the availability of jobs in the job market. Applications per job or jobseekers per vacancy would be a better indication of the health of the local job market.
Unemployemnt rate isnt always a reliable indicator on the availability of jobs in the job market. Applications per job or jobseekers per vacancy would be a better indication of the health of the local job market.

That is essentially the point I am making. In London where we know there are huge numbers of unskilled job vacancies in retail, hospitality and cleaning as well as other work areas, unemployment figures remain stubbornly high. A major reason for this is the anonymity of London. Jobcentre staff are not able to bring pressure to bear on those who are content to remain on the dole.
Original post by Yaboi
We should just implement basic income.

Well no it would be horrendous why would students work or the youth on part time jobs
Doesnt work. It would just simply start a black market in the vouchers plus its also anti competitive. Unemployment is dehumanising enough without compounding the problem.

That's another problem. I was made redundant at the back end of last year and it hurt. Even though I had plenty to live on from my pay off and savings which meant I didn't need to sign on, I felt like **** until I found a new job because I wasn't working. I can't imagine how it feels like for people who genuinely want to work and have to go to the JobCentre every week or use a foodbank.
Reply 27
Original post by niteninja1
Well no it would be horrendous why would students work or the youth on part time jobs

They wouldn't unless they wanted more money, which is good.
Original post by Rakas21
I support the idea that after 12 months welfare payments should be restricted. For those under 30 i would conscript them into basic training, for those over i would replace cash payments with vouchers.

Conscripting poor people to the army?
That's the most ridiculous thing you've ever said.
Original post by Bornblue
Conscripting poor people to the army?
That's the most ridiculous thing you've ever said.

Into basic training.. and only for those unemployed for over 12 months and aged under 30.
If people have no support when unemployed and struggling to get work, they are likely to need costly support from the state in other ways: mental health, homelessness and possibly crime. You can't just say "sod you" to the vulnerable and hope that the problem of unemployment will go away. JSA should be unlimited and unconditional. People are being pushed to breaking point as it is.

For the record, the job centre put more unrealistic demands on people the longer they are claiming JSA for.
We should just give everyone money for existing.

I don;t know why so many self described conservatives are advocating such soviet measures.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Into basic training.. and only for those unemployed for over 12 months and aged under 30.

We have a professional army, what would they do with tens of thousands of young people, who didnt really wnat to be there? Who is going to pay for housing them? Wouldnt it be better to train and skilling them for employment? Many of these people will have veen failed by the education sustem the first time round.
We could just shoot the long term employed. :rolleyes:
We have a professional army, what would they do with tens of thousands of young people, who didnt really wnat to be there? Who is going to pay for housing them? Wouldnt it be better to train and skilling them for employment? Many of these people will have veen failed by the education sustem the first time round.

You can already enrol on a college course for free when on JSA so there's nothing really stopping re-education and the job center sends one on numerous 'skill' related courses. Most people who are out of work for 12 months are not trying, to not be able to even get a part time job is ludicrous.

Again i'm not suggesting that we put the people on the front line but basic training is tough and ultimately they'll either be motivated to accept a different job, do basic training for 2 years and come out with some skills or they'll enjoy it and progress to the armed forces proper.
Original post by niteninja1
Should there be a limit to how long a jobless can claim benefits

No it's a pointless idea

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rakas21
I support the idea that after 12 months welfare payments should be restricted. For those under 30 i would conscript them into basic training, for those over i would replace cash payments with vouchers.

Should totally sterlilise them while we're at it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending