The Student Room Group

Dentistry help and advice

I am in year 12 and want to become a dentist but right now my chances of getting accepted are 0 so i need advice on what to do. if there are any dental students or dentists that would be willing to give me advice on dentistry applications as i really need some right now it would be very much appreciated
I'm in Year 12 too. What's wrong? You need to give more contextual information.
Reply 2
Original post by sulaimanali
I'm in Year 12 too. What's wrong? You need to give more contextual information.

Yeah sorry I should have but basically my teacher told me that if I wanted to apply i needed predicted grades of AAA but my predictions are BBB so she basically told me not to apply and tbh my gcse grades are very average from 9 A*-C with a c in English and I think she is right in that I shouldn't bother applying
Original post by GNHD
Yeah sorry I should have but basically my teacher told me that if I wanted to apply i needed predicted grades of AAA but my predictions are BBB so she basically told me not to apply and tbh my gcse grades are very average from 9 A*-C with a c in English and I think she is right in that I shouldn't bother applying

Try get your 3A's take a gap year and apply in this year. If this doesn't work out for you apply via graduate entry dentistry though this is very competitive or you can always go abroad
Reply 4
Original post by Miser101
Try get your 3A's take a gap year and apply in this year. If this doesn't work out for you apply via graduate entry dentistry though this is very competitive or you can always go abroad

But i am in year 12 and taking a gap year isnt really an option at the moment. I was wondering would i be able to study dental hygiene and therapy at uni which is 3 years and requires ABB then study postgraduate dentistry? Or am i just making things up
Original post by GNHD
But i am in year 12 and taking a gap year isnt really an option at the moment. I was wondering would i be able to study dental hygiene and therapy at uni which is 3 years and requires ABB then study postgraduate dentistry? Or am i just making things up

Fair enough, what I'd recommend is try your best to get 3A's apply to dental hygiene and therapy at uni or biomedical science then study grad entry dentistry. I'm currently in my first year studying Audiology and I'm also looking at studying postgrad dentistry. 4 unis do the accelerated 4 year BDS degree

Liverpool you need minimum B's at A level, need a good UKCAT score, you also need to make sure your uni course fulfills the requirements of the prior learning document

UCLAN C at Levels minimum, passes at GCSE, No UKCAT but a UCLAN entry exam based of the requirements of the prior learning document

Kings they don't look at A levels or GCSEs just want to make sure your degree is acceptable. They require UKCAT and it's very competitive here relative to the other places so you need a good UKCAT to be competitive

Aberdeen same as Kings but more lenient with UKCAT though it is hard for English students to get in they designate like 5 places for English students

You can always apply to undergrad Dentistry as 2nd undergrad degree, I know Leeds just look at your degree and your BMAT score if you apply to there undergrad degree as a graduate but money is the issue here (potentially) you have to pay for years 2-4 yourself

Check this document out: https://intranet.birmingham.ac.uk/as/employability/careers/documents/public/mds-gradentrydentistry.pdf

Also contact the departments at the relevant dental schools who do the grad entry program to check if the course you do at uni is acceptable
Reply 6
Fair enough, what I'd recommend is try your best to get 3A's apply to dental hygiene and therapy at uni or biomedical science then study grad entry dentistry. I'm currently in my first year studying Audiology and I'm also looking at studying postgrad dentistry. 4 unis do the accelerated 4 year BDS degree

Liverpool you need minimum B's at A level, need a good UKCAT score, you also need to make sure your uni course fulfills the requirements of the prior learning document

UCLAN C at Levels minimum, passes at GCSE, No UKCAT but a UCLAN entry exam based of the requirements of the prior learning document

Kings they don't look at A levels or GCSEs just want to make sure your degree is acceptable. They require UKCAT and it's very competitive here relative to the other places so you need a good UKCAT to be competitive

Aberdeen same as Kings but more lenient with UKCAT though it is hard for English students to get in they designate like 5 places for English students

You can always apply to undergrad Dentistry as 2nd undergrad degree, I know Leeds just look at your degree and your BMAT score if you apply to there undergrad degree as a graduate but money is the issue here (potentially) you have to pay for years 2-4 yourself

Check this document out: https://intranet.birmingham.ac.uk/as/employability/careers/documents/public/mds-gradentrydentistry.pdf

Also contact the departments at the relevant dental schools who do the grad entry program to check if the course you do at uni is acceptable

Thank you so much
Reply 7

You can always apply to undergrad Dentistry as 2nd undergrad degree, I know Leeds just look at your degree and your BMAT score if you apply to there undergrad degree as a graduate

Can you elaborate on this please
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GNHD
Thank you so much

No problem the funding if you do the 4 year accelerated programs I menitioned above the funding is a lot better. NHS pays for half of your tuition fees and you pay the other half and if you can't you can always use student finance which is a service you will not be able to use if you do a 2nd undergrad degree like Leeds I mentioned above, SFE would only fund first year and NHS would pay for the last year so you would have to pay for years 2-4 yourself but Leeds can give you bursaries if you are eligible
Original post by GNHD
Can you elaborate on this please

After you've done your undergraduate degree in dental hygiene and therapy you can apply to the 5 year undergraduate BDS degree at Leeds (which would be second undergraduate degree technically), now when you usually apply to the 5 year degree most dental schools will look at your GCSEs and A levels they wanna make sure it's on point and you got your 3A's but Leeds and a few other dental schools don't put too much importance on A levels if you applying to their 5 year program so as long you do well on the BMAT their entry exam and do well in the interview and if you can pay for years 2-4 out of your own pocket.
I would recommend you search for grad entry dentistry thread and talk to students who have applied to the 4 year degree and PM them
It isnt too late to apply next year for BDS. Why take 8 years to qualify rather than 5 if you dont have to? If you come from a home where neither parent went to uni you could be accepted onto something like the Leeds or Sheffield access schemes that would allow you to get on the course with less than 3 As. Have a good look at all the unis, see which ones accept the c in English language and work from there, If you start to do better with your A levels then your teachers will up your predicitons, they want people to do well.

Make sure you have some work experience, book your UKCAT for late summer so you have plenty of time to prepare for it. Good luck!
Reply 12
Original post by redhelen
It isnt too late to apply next year for BDS. Why take 8 years to qualify rather than 5 if you dont have to? If you come from a home where neither parent went to uni you could be accepted onto something like the Leeds or Sheffield access schemes that would allow you to get on the course with less than 3 As. Have a good look at all the unis, see which ones accept the c in English language and work from there, If you start to do better with your A levels then your teachers will up your predicitons, they want people to do well.

Yeah i have been accepted for the reach for excellence in leeds for the dentistry strand but my c in English is a disadvantage as i want to resit with the old specification but i dont think my school does the resit
Cant see that Leeds specifies that a c is not enough. If you are on the access programme ask them their advice on what to do.
Reply 14
Cant see that Leeds specifies that a c is not enough. If you are on the access programme ask them their advice on what to do.

Will do, thank you for your help:smile:
Reply 15

Will do, thank you for your help:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest