The Student Room Group

Age discrimination in sales

I read that in the world of sales, once you hit 40 your career goes down for a number of reasons.

I graduated 2 years ago and worked in the environmental sector for 1 year.

I am thinking about applying to work as a recruitment consultant, I notice everyone is young in the sector.
Does anyone know if they are positive about employing a 38 year old?

Thanks you:smile:
Original post by lonttttt530
I read that in the world of sales, once you hit 40 your career goes down for a number of reasons.

I graduated 2 years ago and worked in the environmental sector for 1 year.

I am thinking about applying to work as a recruitment consultant, I notice everyone is young in the sector.
Does anyone know if they are positive about employing a 38 year old?

Thanks you:smile:

I tried to write sensible answer to this, but I couldn't, because it's so obviously rubbish - what person with zero experience of sales, or only one specific sales line (and really, I can't think of any) told you this? Sales people are persuasive, and 40 year old women can be damn persuasive! The fact that you are going to age is not really a reason to avoid a career in sales.

Similarly, you only see young people in recruitment because you are only dealing with entry level jobs. I'm a Director, I only see people aged 50+ in recruitment!

Everyone is positive about recruiting people with experience, it appeals to employers at every level. So at 38 you should be competitive for whatever job requires the 14-18 years of experience you have at that stage.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
I tried to write sensible answer to this, but I couldn't, because it's so obviously rubbish - what person with zero experience of sales, or only one specific sales line (and really, I can't think of any) told you this? Sales people are persuasive, and 40 year old women can be damn persuasive! The fact that you are going to age is not really a reason to avoid a career in sales.

Similarly, you only see young people in recruitment because you are only dealing with entry level jobs. I'm a Director, I only see people aged 50+ in recruitment!

Everyone is positive about recruiting people with experience, it appeals to employers at every level. So at 38 you should be competitive for whatever job requires the 14-18 years of experience you have at that stage.

I never seen older people in sales other than the sales director.
It seems if you are not a sales director then there are no jobs in sales at 40+
I read even the once best sales reps get pushed out as they get older.
Maybe they lose the drive and energy as they age.
I never seen older people in sales other than the sales director.
It seems if you are not a sales director then there are no jobs in sales at 40+
I read even the once best sales reps get pushed out as they get older.
Maybe they lose the drive and energy as they age.

In what sector though? There are plenty of sales areas where age in a benefit. Sure, selling t-shirts at Hollister when you are 40 isn't on point, but selling houses, selling top of the range cars etc? The point is that your experience probably only extends to sales you young people. By and large, big business does not broker multi-million pound sales contracts through people in their 20s. You can expect, in a sales career, that you start off, either in a junior, rarely client facing role in a team that does large B2B sales, or selling relatively small items directly to customers. As you gain more experience and more sales success, you sell higher value items to people or businesses prepared to buy higher price items. Selling is a matter of gaining the trust and confidence in the potential purchaser, and big businesses aren't either buying or selling through teams of 20 year olds they've built relationships with, they are doing it with 50 year olds.

What's wrong with being a Sales Director by the time you are 40 anyway?
Reply 4
I did not say big sales are done by 20 year olds, but with experience it would be done by 30 year olds. But very few will be done by 50+
I never seen a sales team with different ages. All you see is mostly young and few managers who are old. What happened to the rest? Forced out!

Go google medical sales for example and see how people 40+ are finding it more difficult to find jobs. And medical sales you can make good money.

I think you live in a bubble and don't want to be critical of your sector. Stop being so defensive about your sector. I guess I cannot get an honest answer from you. After all, you are in sales:smile:

From my research, i find that older people in sales are seen as low energy, lost drive, but demand higher pay and less willing to change and don't think quick.
I did not say big sales are done by 20 year olds, but with experience it would be done by 30 year olds. But very few will be done by 50+
I never seen a sales team with different ages. All you see is mostly young and few managers who are old. What happened to the rest? Forced out!

Go google medical sales for example and see how people 40+ are finding it more difficult to find jobs. And medical sales you can make good money.

I think you live in a bubble and don't want to be critical of your sector. Stop being so defensive about your sector. I guess I cannot get an honest answer from you. After all, you are in sales:smile:

From my research, i find that older people in sales are seen as low energy, lost drive, but demand higher pay and less willing to change and don't think quick.

Lol, what on earth makes you think I work in sales? Wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole, I've got totally the wrong personality and skill set. Doesn't stop me being an experienced hirer and knowing how the jobs market works across a range of sectors though.

50 year olds don't tend to do junior sales jobs for sure. That's because they've either got promoted to larger sales, to sales management, or they've changed careers. None of that means that Sales is ageist and that you shouldn't make a career in is, as your first post suggested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending