The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Forecast
Are these the same teachers who said you wouldn't even get an interview? Probably best to politely tell them you have everything under control, 3 A-levels is hardly stretching compared to what you'll be doing once you get to Cambridge anyway.

Yep it is! I might well tell her I'm okay, if I give up all my extra-curricular i wont make it to the end of the year.
Original post by Ruthie2267
i am sort of... I feel like i wouldn't really be able to cope with Cambridge idk + as someone else has said I've become quite invested in another uni. im just trying to work out if I'd regret it more not taking the opportunity (but it's good to know there are other people with the same doubts :smile: )

I'm glad it's not just me! I just kind of feel like I'm not good enough for Cambridge.
Original post by daniilS
Are you allowed to leave your bike at the college when going home for the holidays? Because carrying one back and forth on the plane would be a little expensive...

My daughter left her (= my old) bike there until the day she graduated. But not all colleges allow it, so better check if yours does.
Many colleges do clearing-up of their bike park to get rid of old bikes that's left behind there for a long time (some students don't bother taking their bike with them when graduate if it's a very cheap, old ones.....) during holidays.
So talk with your porters and ask what their rule is when you get there.
But bear in mind, there have been more than a few incidents in the past bikes were stolen from some colleges' bike park during holiday even though most of bike parks are security locked.
Reply 463
Original post by rayofsunshine98
I'm glad it's not just me! I just kind of feel like I'm not good enough for Cambridge.

But Cambridge does. That's a key thing.

:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So if you want a new bike, making sure it doesn't look new then is advisable? Because I've never had a brand new bike and my mum promised to get me one if I got into Cambridge!

Posted from TSR Mobile

She doesn't know Cambridge is one of the worst cities/towns in uk for bike theft. :wink:
Maybe ask her to get you something else as a gift?
You don't want ruin a brand new nice bike just not to be stolen.......
Original post by vincrows
She doesn't know Cambridge is one of the worst cities/towns in uk for bike theft. :wink:
Maybe ask her to get you something else as a gift?
You don't want ruin a brand new nice bike just not to be stolen.......

She does know that, it's just the fact that my bike is literally falling apart. I think we are going to get it relatively soon though, so that it's not brand new as such by october.
Original post by jneill
But Cambridge does. That's a key thing.

:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I know, I just think it's hilarious that my school are making such a fuss over A*A*A for Cambridge, but they weren't making a fuss about A*AA for Nottingham :tongue:
Original post by physicsmaths
My bike light got stolen outside @Zacken room.
Skmeone elses bike was disconnected from the wheel and stolen so i was abit thankful. But still that was top quality, the brightness was a banger

Yeah, there're much more cases of bike light theft than bike theft.....
My daughter always carried her bike light (an extra, stronger one she bought. Not the one that's already on the bike) and fixed it on only when she needed it and unscrewed it when she parks it in the town.
She does know that, it's just the fact that my bike is literally falling apart. I think we are going to get it relatively soon though, so that it's not brand new as such by october.

The bike she took to Cambridge was my old one that was almost falling apart as well. We took it to our local bike shop to have it 'conditioned' well and safe enough to use for 3years, like changing tyre-tubes, a chain , re-tuning the brake, etc. It's much cheaper than getting a new bike and lasted her 3 yrs of very-full use.

If you're getting a new bike anyway, maybe you can do the same with your old one and leave your new bike at home.
If your college allows you to leave your bike there during holidays, that'll save you having to bring back/take your bike home/uni every term.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 469
Yeah I know, I just think it's hilarious that my school are making such a fuss over A*A*A for Cambridge, but they weren't making a fuss about A*AA for Nottingham :tongue:

The extra A* is a fair bit more demanding. And tbf Nottingham will probably allow A*AB, whereas Cambridge definitely won't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
The extra A* is a fair bit more demanding. And tbf Nottingham will probably allow A*AB, whereas Cambridge definitely won't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I know, but all along I've been on track to get A*A*A minimum! Yet they are only making a fuss now. Plus they think i should give up all of my extra-curricular. but the ringleader is a teacher who didnt even think i'd get an interview so i'm beyond the point of listening to her tbh.
I just want my UCAS Track to update so I can be 100% sure they've actually offered me a place, and that the letter and email they sent wasn't just a massive mistake 😩
Reply 472
Yeah I know, but all along I've been on track to get A*A*A minimum! Yet they are only making a fuss now. Plus they think i should give up all of my extra-curricular. but the ringleader is a teacher who didnt even think i'd get an interview so i'm beyond the point of listening tobut her tbh.

Judge it for yourself. ECs are a good idea if you enjoy them :smile: just keep a very close eye on your time management. But you know this, I'm sure you'll be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mehokay
I just want my UCAS Track to update so I can be 100% sure they've actually offered me a place, and that the letter and email they sent wasn't just a massive mistake 😩

I'm sure it will soon! Mine updated on Friday. Which college and course have you been offered a place on?
Reply 474
I've been hearing about offer holder open days... Is there such a thing/when are they usually?
Reply 475
Original post by lawmaya
I've been hearing about offer holder open days... Is there such a thing/when are they usually?

Some colleges do them, but most don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lawmaya

I got pooled, by Kings, to Homerton (I'm totally ok with this btw). My offer holders' open day is 14 February with lunch provided and a ball pit for the parents (Q&A session and a sandwich) to keep them amused.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Luna1602
I got pooled, by Kings, to Homerton (I'm totally ok with this btw). My offer holders' open day is 14 February with lunch provided and a ball pit for the parents (Q&A session and a sandwich) to keep them amused.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it was a pooling, and I know Homerton is 3000 miles away, and I know people laugh at it, but it was a really sweet email trying hard to make us feel special

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 478
Folks, the (new) CAT is asking for your feedback on the application process over here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4510054
I'm sure it will soon! Mine updated on Friday. Which college and course have you been offered a place on?

Looks like I spoke too soon, it updated an hour ago, lol. I applied to Newnham to read Law, what about you?

Latest

Trending

Trending