The Student Room Group

Why do many students live disgustingly?

Scroll to see replies

Oh how terrible people living the way they want to, god. Personal freedom and choice is just the worst.
Reply 21
The long and the short of this thread is that if you want to live in a spotless environment with no disturbances from people getting in late at night, you might not want to move into stalls (or with other students at all). There is a chance that your flatmates will be more messy than normal, but those are the chances that you take when you're moving in with people you don't know! Also, if you're the housemate who nags others to clear up (especially if you're being unreasonable about the level of cleanliness), your housemates won't like you and you probably won't get on.
Yeah students are filthy. They don't know how to look after themselves. It really is funny the people who are supposed to be the most educated don't even have the most basic of skills.

I mean, you ask them to clean up and they say: 'I don't have time'

You don't have time?

You get up at 12, have 8 hours of lectures a week and do your assignments last minute! How can you have no time?
It often depends on how they were brought up. Some parents don't care about clutter/dirt.
No, we have circular wooden tops on 4 metal legs. It was the signs, sofa and worktop.
Original post by Glassapple
I was at a student house yesterday, and it was a complete tip. Mess everywhere on the floor, the bin was overflowing and rubbish was being purposely put around it, the bathroom was dirty, the kitchen was filthy was washing up and old food everywhere, the bedroom I went in had laundry everywhere and pizza boxes and beer bottles strewn across the floor, everywhere needed hoovering and parts of the house were damp.

Why do students choose to live like this? Do they want to get sick and/or live in chaos and mess? I'm 16 but I couldn't live like that at ll; if something needs cleaning or doing no matter how big or small, I just get on and do it. It disgusts me how people live everyday like this; I was told seven people live in that house, I don't see how none of them can be bothered to look after where they live.

No, messy people (like me) are happy to live in a mess. Neat people aren't.
Original post by alcibiade
No, messy people (like me) are happy to live in a mess. Neat people aren't.

Why are you happy to live in a mess? Do you like not knowing where your things are, being dirty, smelly, unhygienic and having less space?
Original post by Helloworld_95
Most people aren't as bad as that, obviously, but it's mostly because we've got more important stuff to do, or we've got so much more important stuff to do that we need a break and can't afford the time. When you're working 10-5 or sometimes 9-12 or 9-4 when **** hits the fan for 7 days a week for 2 months straight you don't really prioritise washing dishes.

As for the overflowing bins they might not have a choice, it's pretty easy for stuff to pile up if you miss a collection and it's pretty easy to miss a collection over the holidays because you can't really put your bin out or you'll get fined for leaving it on the pavement for a couple weeks.

University is a holiday compared to having even a relatively cushy nine-to-five job.

Though as you said, if you don't mind squalor then that's absolutely fine.
Why are you happy to live in a mess? Do you like not knowing where your things are, being dirty, smelly, unhygienic and having less space?

You simply don't see it or notice it, but are concentrating on different things. Now, of course, my wife (who is neat) does see it and it actively irritates her.
Reply 29
My housemate is really messy and doesn't clean after herself.
If I want our kitchen to be neat, I have to clean myself on almost daily basis and I have no time for that
Original post by Nottie
My housemate is really messy and doesn't clean after herself.
If I want our kitchen to be neat, I have to clean myself on almost daily basis and I have no time for that

I'm sure you have at least half an hour before you go to bed? I did the vaccuming at 10:30 last night; I made the time to do something that needed doing.
I think a distinction needs to be made between poor overseas students sharing houses in overcrowded conditions (who still eat extremely well, typically rice/pickle/curry) and outright degenerate scum who live off takeaways, crates of beer and revel in a debauched lifestyle.
Are most people in halls like this then? If they are I think I'm just going to live on my own (I can afford to), as I don't think I could stand living in fear of mess and noise. Just before students went university I had assumed their parents would give them a crash course in how to keep a house/flat clean and how to do basic life jobs, like washing and vacuuming.

Do you not get freaked out if you have to prepare meals and have your stuff in a messy kitchen, when it's still dirty from other people's stuff? I know I would; even when my own stuff was clean and put away I'd be paranoid about contamination from the air and physical things around me.

As pointed out many times above its their first time living away from home. Not everyone is like this (its down to the randomness of who you get to live with), but some are used to parents tidying up for them. Luckily you, can live on your own or maybe get a butler?
Original post by AcademicDevotion
I think a distinction needs to be made between poor overseas students sharing houses in overcrowded conditions (who still eat extremely well, typically rice/pickle/curry) and outright degenerate scum who live off takeaways, crates of beer and revel in a debauched lifestyle.

Is having a take away bad?
Is having a beer bad?
Is enjoying yourself or having sex bad?
Original post by 999tigger
As pointed out many times above its their first time living away from home. Not everyone is like this (its down to the randomness of who you get to live with), but some are used to parents tidying up for them. Luckily you, can live on your own or maybe get a butler?

I'll probably live on my own as I'll be able to afford to. I don't want to live with random, unclean and inconsiderate people.
I'll probably live on my own as I'll be able to afford to. I don't want to live with random, unclean and inconsiderate people.

It would be a good idea for everyone. You sound like you would be a very difficult housemate.
Is having a take away bad?
Is having a beer bad?
Is enjoying yourself or having sex bad?

Yeah they're all bad I'm afraid. I used to spend a lot of time with Indian engineering students and they always managed to cook properly and would do group study sessions until very late at night. I dunno about alcohol but I know for a fact that the seedy stuff would not have occurred until after marriage/graduation/permanent employment.
They all think someone else is going to do it.
Original post by AcademicDevotion
Yeah they're all bad I'm afraid. I used to spend a lot of time with Indian engineering students and they always managed to cook properly and would do group study sessions until very late at night. I dunno about alcohol but I know for a fact that the seedy stuff would not have occurred until after marriage/graduation/permanent employment.

If you dont know about alcohol, then why mention it?
You dont believe students should have partners or sex?
So when you went to Uni, you didnt have a take away, never had pre prepared food, never had a gf or sex?

Those students who do are branded degenerate scum by you?
If you dont know about alcohol, then why mention it?
You dont believe students should have partners or sex?
So when you went to Uni, you didnt have a take away, never had pre prepared food, never had a gf or sex?

Those students who do are branded degenerate scum by you?

I didn't finish uni but this was at a privately rented house. They may have had whisky or something around Divali but there was certainly never any going out 5 nights a week or nothing like that. Fresh food is not something I would ever compromise on and it is not expensive to get these ingredients. The western habit of spending more on alcohol than on food is incredibly worrying, as indeed is the culture of promiscuity and informal copulations. In an ideal world you wouldn't have state endorsing and subsidising these debased behaviours and most Indians I met would severely shun those who engage in them outside marriage.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest