The Student Room Group

Prof Joshua Silver car crash interview on Amber Rudd "hate speech".

[video="youtube;6ILL1XRLVuA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ILL1XRLVuA[/video]

The UK is ****ed.

Scroll to see replies

FFS!

Is it any wonder that the Left are currently circling the toilet bowl,ready to be flushed?
Cringe making. Humiliating on his part.

He was an embarrassment to his university and himself.

I am guessing that as a Physics Professor at a prestigious university he is reasonably intelligent, in which case this interview proves that succumbing to the bankrupt ideology of the left turns bright people into bumbling idiots.

But we knew that already. :rolleyes:
Reply 3
Original post by astutehirstute
Cringe making. Humiliating on his part.

He was an embarrassment to his university and himself.

I am guessing that as a Physics Professor at a prestigious university he is reasonably intelligent, in which case this interview proves that succumbing to the bankrupt ideology of the left turns bright people into bumbling idiots.

But we knew that already. :rolleyes:

Is this the end of the Left?

How can they possibly come back from this.
Original post by CyclePath
Is this the end of the Left?

How can they possibly come back from this.

The left is ideologically broken. It has disappeared up its own rectum.

But they still have cultural influence (amazingly) and are taking western civilisation down with them, sadly.

The whole farce over transgender toilets is when they jumped the shark to my mind.

I have no idea what the few remaining Romans were arguing about as the Barbarians sacked the city in the twilight of Empire, but it was probably something equally asinine and pointless. :angry:
Reply 5
This is Jeremy Kyle Show levels of humiliating.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Its Oxford, so I really doubt that.

Joking aside, this doesn't show that liberalism turns people stupid, but rather, evidence that while there is a culture of 'social justice' at UK Universities, this is more thanks to indoctrination from liberal teachers and curriculum, rather than intelligence/education naturally leading to liberalism.

It also shows how unbelievably detached many of these old academics are from the outside world.

You are not wrong there.

Mind you, after Andrew Neil had finished with him he might have had a bit better insight as to how the real world thinks.

And I imagine there was a bit of an embarrassed silence the next time he sat down to eat at his College's High Table. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
I found the idea (especially where he revealed he never watched it) to be highly amusing.

I love Andrew Neil.
I hadn't seen or heard the quote before, so I didn't know if it would count as "hate speech", but what she actually said was just as tame as I thought it would be.
Reply 9
Original post by Rakas21
I found the idea (especially where he revealed he never watched it) to be highly amusing.

I love Andrew Neil.

Me too, that man was an embarrassment

He repeatedly asked Farron yesterday how we would leave the EU if we were still part of the single market and subject to the European Court of Justice, Farron wouldn't answer so Neil said 'Your idea of leaving is staying!' Priceless.
Original post by Rakas21

I love Andrew Neil.

There's a reason the tories wouldn't let David Cameron anywhere near Andrew Neil in 2015.

Mind you, Rudd's proposal of making companies list their foreign workers is laughable.

The only thing more laughable is that yourself and other 'conservatives' who claim to love business, support a policy like this.
Original post by Bornblue
There's a reason the tories wouldn't let David Cameron anywhere near Andrew Neil in 2015.

Mind you, Rudd's proposal of making companies list their foreign workers is laughable.

The only thing more laughable is that yourself and other 'conservatives' who claim to love business, support a policy like this.

I though it was quite a good proposal (it was to list percentages, not names) and its no suprise that a majority of the public agreed with me in polling. Clearly it was a policy open to media spin though.

My support for transparency stems from my support for liberalism, i see nothing bad about letting consumers and prospective workers make their own decisions about purchasing or working for heavily immigrant firms.
Original post by Rakas21
I though it was quite a good proposal (it was to list percentages, not names) and its no suprise that a majority of the public agreed with me in polling. Clearly it was a policy open to media spin though.

My support for transparency stems from my support for liberalism, i see nothing bad about letting consumers and prospective workers make their own decisions about purchasing or working for heavily immigrant firms.

It was a clearly intended 'name and shame policy' to try and shame businesses who hire foreign workers.

I thought you supported business and aspiration and all that?
[video="youtube;6ILL1XRLVuA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ILL1XRLVuA[/video]

The UK is ****ed.

I think he had been smoking panga (cannabis)!

lol
Reply 14
It was a clearly intended 'name and shame policy' to try and shame businesses who hire foreign workers.

Lol, no.

It was to shame businesses that lacked a certain percentage of British workers.
Prof Silver is rocking that JC facial hair.
Lol, no.

It was to shame businesses that lacked a certain percentage of British workers.

How anti-aspirational.

Businesses should hire people based on their ability and not their nationality/gender/ background...

I like meritocracies personally.
Original post by the bear
Prof Silver is rocking that JC facial hair.

What is it with leftists and beards? They're all just Karl Marx wannabes... a true leftie like my boy Mao Tse-Tsung needs no facial hair!

On the video though, Andrew Neil ily, what a beautiful political commentator that makes Marr look like a petulant child in comparison.
Original post by Connor27
What is it with leftists and beards? They're all just Karl Marx wannabes... a true leftie like my boy Mao Tse-Tsung needs no facial hair!

On the video though, Andrew Neil ily, what a beautiful political commentator that makes Marr look like a petulant child in comparison.

Mr Neill is indeed a master of his art. I prefer the take no prisoners vibe of Mr Paxman tho' :fan:

*NO HOMO*

I thought you supported business and aspiration and all that?

I believe in comparative advantage within competitive markets too. If hiring British workers gives a firm a comparative advantage then they should be free to do so.

It's only a bad policy if you believe that consumers are xenophobic or view patriotism as bad.

Quick Reply

Latest