The Student Room Group

Do I Need to Contact Student Loans About a Working Holiday Visa?

I graduated in 2012 and have been in and out of jobs, and I'm now considering the prospect of gaining work experience abroad with a working holiday visa (5-6 months).

In regards to repayment, would I need to contact the Student Loans people about it or would that not matter? Sorry if this is a silly question. I just don't like surprises and getting into trouble.

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lalalalalalamember
I graduated in 2012 and have been in and out of jobs, and I'm now considering the prospect of gaining work experience abroad with a working holiday visa (5-6 months).

In regards to repayment, would I need to contact the Student Loans people about it or would that not matter? Sorry if this is a silly question. I just don't like surprises and getting into trouble.

Thanks.

Yes you would need to because failure to do so would result a penalty charge.

As you will be living abroad for more than 3 months, you are required to fill out an Overseas Income Assessment Form.

Link:
http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,6678804&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

But your best idea is to ask Student Loans Company yourself to see what the situation is.
Original post by Boreism
Yes you would need to because failure to do so would result a penalty charge.

As you will be living abroad for more than 3 months, you are required to fill out an Overseas Income Assessment Form.

Link:
http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,6678804&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

But your best idea is to ask Student Loans Company yourself to see what the situation is.

What if I stay for less than 3 months? Would I still need to let them know? Thanks.
What if I stay for less than 3 months? Would I still need to let them know? Thanks.

You are best to contact them directly. How long exactly are you going abroad for?
Original post by Boreism
You are best to contact them directly. How long exactly are you going abroad for?

I don't exactly know, but based on what I've been told so far (by a family member who lives in the country and has work connections) the amount of work I would receive would last me a couple of weeks. Anymore after that isn't guaranteed.

5-6 months was the original plan, but not certain.
I don't exactly know, but based on what I've been told so far (by a family member who lives in the country and has work connections) the amount of work I would receive would last me a couple of weeks. Anymore after that isn't guaranteed.

5-6 months was the original plan, but not certain.

Like I said you would need to ring Student Loans Company just to make sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending