The Student Room Group

Are predicted grades influence what offer I get?

(non-UK student here)
Reply 1
I mean if I predict higher, do they give me a higher offer? (higher what they wrote in their e-mail to me when I enquired about it)
Original post by Akalamago
I mean if I predict higher, do they give me a higher offer? (higher what they wrote in their e-mail to me when I enquired about it)

No they wouldnt generally do that.
Reply 3
Original post by rec.matt
... they told me to write the best marks you hope to get (to be optimistic about it). Universities know this and will normally give you offers based on your personal statement and reference. :smile:

Your referee provides your predicted grades, not you.
Reply 4
Well, sure in UK. It's a bit different here, because you can't really expect the mark you get. Of course I discussed it with my referee and she aprooved of what I wrote. You know, our maturita exam is a bit different and if you want your predicted grades to be accurate only you really know. Since English teacher wrote the reference, she doesnt really know what I am about to get from programming exam. :smile:

And dont worry. I checked with the international linking company and even the university teachers, that they dont really care about our predicted grades (and they are not affecting the offers), they should be just roughly similiar for the course requirement.

Perhaps, but the universities physically get the predicted grade(s) from your referee. It's part of the referee's job to provide it in the reference. But if you and your referee discuss what the prediction should be before submitting the form that's absolutely fine.
Reply 5
Yeah, but since I live in Czech, everything including reference letter and grades went through me and I sent it only digitally to UCAS :smile:

You completed the reference yourself? It doesn't matter where you live, the reference should be completed by your referee...
Reply 6
My referee did write the reference letter and we discussed the predicted grades of course. All materials then were sent to Unilink, czech organisation of (former) students, which are in contact with british universities and provide help to czech people trying to apply for unis in the UK.

Sorry, didnt wanna discuss my application process. I just wanted to mention that predicted grades dont importantly matter to international students - thats what Ive been told from both the organization and a professor from one of the unis.

Wrong. The application system is the same for all of the applicants. If you were the one who decided your predicted grades, you commited a fraud. Your English teacher was supposed to discuss your grades with the other teachers of your Maturita subjects. Please, do not generalize based on your personal experience.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok well I admit I know nothing how your system works and I was wrong to assume information how I heard it. As I mentioned, it's nowhere simple as your application. My referee did discuss the grades with school staff and asked me how I see the preparation for the final exams, then I forwarded whatever she decided elsewhere.

The application system is same, but offer conditions may vary due to exam equivalents and how they compare to the british. They cant really make me an offer based on my GCSEs results, because Im not going to pass them and our exam's knowledge evaluation is different

UCAS are quite clear on who should complete the reference and provide predicted grades: https://www.ucas.com/advisers/references

You should not rely on agents for advice on how to apply.
Reply 8
...unless it's prohibited discussing the grades with my referee.

That's not prohibited.

(BTW, please quote the poster when you comment otherwise they might not notice your reply to them.)
Original post by Akalamago
(non-UK student here)

Most universities have a standard offer which they will give to all successful applicants. To have a chance of getting an offer, you should be predicted similar grades to their offer grades (and for the more competitive universities, at least the minimum grades or higher). A few universities have a "standard grade range" - they use these in different ways, some give lower grade offers to students who stood out particularly well in the application (e.g. good personal statement or interview) or come from disadvantaged backgrounds. Others use this grade range to give out higher offers to students predicted high grades and lower offers to those predicted low grades - this is because psychologically if a university asks you for higher grades, you think they are a better university and you are more likely to put them as your first choice.

I'm not sure what everyone is going on about regarding international applicants and offer grades - but no decent university will base your offer on GCSE grades. Your reference should be submitted by your form tutor/ head of year or equivalent, taking quotes and predicted grades from each of your teachers (NOT in consultation with you - although it is quite common for your form tutor to let you have a look at the reference afterwards just to let you know what your teachers said, although to this day I still do not know for sure what grades my teachers predicted me). I see no reason why you should be using a agent like this Unilink, it sounds like they are encouraging fraudulent practices and probably making you pay for their services. It is best to just use the UCAS application system directly.

I can't see how it could be any different for international applicants, they would just convert the A level grades into international equivalents and continue as normal... For UK students, your predicted grades are probably one of the most important parts of the application, and I doubt it is any different for international students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending