The Student Room Group

my dentist said I have multiple cavities what does that mrean?

I went to the dentist today and he said I now have multiple cavities, I not quite sure what he means by this, and also I have never ever had any problems with my teeth before, I mean I am 30 next month but this seems strange as I always look after them brush twice a day, never eat too much sugar, can dentists lie about fillings
Original post by rosie bentham
I went to the dentist today and he said I now have multiple cavities, I not quite sure what he means by this, and also I have never ever had any problems with my teeth before, I mean I am 30 next month but this seems strange as I always look after them brush twice a day, never eat too much sugar, can dentists lie about fillings

It is basically tooth decay, and not being horrible but why would a dentist lie, they are just doing their job.
Original post by Rock Fan
...why would a dentist lie, they are just doing their job.

plumbers lie, also sparks and car mechanics. It's far from unheard of for a dentist to recommend as necessary more work than needs doing.
Original post by cambio wechsel
plumbers lie, also sparks and car mechanics. It's far from unheard of for a dentist to recommend as necessary more work than needs doing.

Suppose like a plumber to get a bit more money out of it, just feel dentist generally are just looking out for your health.
It means that you have more than one hole in your tooth caused by decay because of sugar.
He is saying that your teeth are rotting. If you don't believe him, you are free to visit another dentist for a second opinion ofc.

You don't have to eat lots of sugar to have cavities. It can just be a tiny bit of food or sugar that gets caught.
Sugary food aren't thing only things which cause tooth decay (although a majo culprit). Anything acidic can do the same. This applies to sugar-free juice, fruits etc.
It means you need to have less sugar and take more care of your teeth
post a pic of your hampsteads for us to decide.
Brush your teeth twice a day, brah.

It can take a while for cavities to become noticeable and problematic so it's totally possible that you would have some and not know. They can also develop from things other than sugar (like acid from orange juice for example) and some people are just a bit more susceptible because of how their teeth are. I very much doubt your dentist would lie about it. Yeah it's possible, but generally dentists are there to look after your teeth and even if they wanted to lie they could get in big trouble for preforming unnecessary treatments and misleading patients. It wouldn't really be worth it.

I suggest you ask your dentist what they suggest you do about the cavities and how you can better care for your teeth in the future. Sometimes you can try really hard, but there's just something you're missing. It may be that you need a better toothbrush or toothpaste or that you should improve your brushing technique. You may also benefit from using floss or mouthwash.

Try not to feel too bad about it. Sometimes people get cavities, it's part of life. Just do what you can to avoid anything getting worse from here. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest