The Student Room Group

Can anyone do this?

Well, today we had our Higher English prelim. 10 marker is a question we have never done nor anything similar to it. This is how I lost 8 marks out of 10. Here it is:

"By referring to this (Havisham) poem and at least one other poem by Carol Ann Duffy discuss her use of a first person narrator or persona to create a memorable character."

I have no idea how I was supposed to answer this. Can anyone do it?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yandex
Well, today we had our Higher English prelim. 10 marker is a question we have never done nor anything similar to it. This is how I lost 8 marks out of 10. Here it is:

"By referring to this (Havisham) poem and at least one other poem by Carol Ann Duffy discuss her use of a first person narrator or persona to create a memorable character."

I have no idea how I was supposed to answer this. Can anyone do it?

Thanks.

No Sorry I'm doing the LizLochhead Poem did you do Drama for the Essay?
Reply 2
Original post by James26488
No Sorry I'm doing the LizLochhead Poem did you do Drama for the Essay?

Yes.
Original post by Yandex
Yes.

Do you remember if key scene was one of the questions for the drama essay?
Reply 4
Do you remember if key scene was one of the questions for the drama essay?

One was about a character which feels isolated. The other one was about something like a scene which the reader finds to be of great importance. The other one was definitely not key scene. But I doubt you will be doing the same as us.
Original post by Yandex
One was about a character which feels isolated. The other one was about something like a scene which the reader finds to be of great importance. The other one was definitely not key scene. But I doubt you will be doing the same as us.

I'm doing a streetcar named desire
Reply 6
I'm doing a streetcar named desire

I mean the same exact prelim.
Original post by Yandex
I mean the same exact prelim.

We usually do the P & N prelims one
Reply 8
We usually do the P & N prelims one

Hm. Same here. I thought everybody was doing different one.
Original post by Yandex
Hm. Same here. I thought everybody was doing different one.

Seems like everyone gets their prelims from there are you doing a streetcar named desire as well?
Reply 10
Seems like everyone gets their prelims from there are you doing a streetcar named desire as well?

No, Romeo and Juliet.
Original post by Yandex
No, Romeo and Juliet.

Oh Okay that's nice did you do Business
Did you do the p&n paper?
Reply 13
Original post by ___Sophie___
Did you do the p&n paper?

Yeah.
Original post by Yandex
Yeah.

How was the close reading?
Reply 15
Original post by ___Sophie___
How was the close reading?

It wasn't bad at all. Most questions were easy. Am I allowed to tell you the passages? If that's what you are asking.
Original post by Yandex
It wasn't bad at all. Most questions were easy. Am I allowed to tell you the passages? If that's what you are asking.

Ok cool, do you remember the title of the passage lol? :smile:
Original post by Yandex

Was there a third question for the drama?
Reply 18
Was there a third question for the drama?

Yes, as I said. The last one was about a play in which there was one or more of the following intolerance, envy, hatred etc. (I don't remember). Write how these affect your understanding of the poem as a whole.
Original post by Yandex
Yes, as I said. The last one was about a play in which there was one or more of the following intolerance, envy, hatred etc. (I don't remember). Write how these affect your understanding of the poem as a whole.

Alrights thanks very much man any hints if u seen what poem LizLochhead was on and the close reading passage name if possible thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending