The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by epsilondelta
WELL DONEEEEEEE :clap2:that's great news!

It would have been kinder to give you a concrete date! They said to me today that I might find out today, I might find out tomorrow, but definitely by Friday because UCAS is updated by then so hopefully that applies to you too :h: no news isn't bad news remember!

On another note my interview today was super interesting but I have no idea how it went

Well my interviewer was pretty confident it'd be today haha! I've been listening for the post all day because I stayed off I'll with flu after spending the nighty awake and feeling like death. Heard nothing, so I think it must be tomorrow.

I'm not too worried about the outcome, it is what it is, but I just want to know one way or another. If they're sending it by post, it'll definitely be tomorrow or Wednesday because they weren't allowed to decide until Saturday and there's no way a letter could've gotten to me by today. I've been checking UCAS occasionally, but nothing there either. 😕

Ah, I don't think anyone ever knows how it really went until they get the decision to be honest lol. Good luck anyway, where were you pooled to? 😊
Original post by Gold-Confetti
Well my interviewer was pretty confident it'd be today haha! I've been listening for the post all day because I stayed off I'll with flu after spending the nighty awake and feeling like death. Heard nothing, so I think it must be tomorrow.

I'm not too worried about the outcome, it is what it is, but I just want to know one way or another. If they're sending it by post, it'll definitely be tomorrow or Wednesday because they weren't allowed to decide until Saturday and there's no way a letter could've gotten to me by today. I've been checking UCAS occasionally, but nothing there either. 😕

Ah, I don't think anyone ever knows how it really went until they get the decision to be honest lol. Good luck anyway, where were you pooled to? 😊

Oh gosh that's bad! I bet you psyched yourself up for today as well. Maybe check your emails tonight just in case. Same I feel like my studies are on hold until this is out of the way and I'm losing so much time!

Thanks, you too! I was pooled by wolfson and fished by hughes hall and st. edmund's, so there were two DoS in my interview. I think they got more out of me this time to be honest and I love both colleges too. What about you? Where were you pooled from and to? Do you like your pooled college? :smile:
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Had a lovely little chat with a certain Admissions Tutor

A*A*A with an A* in History :biggrin: OFFER!

Yes!!!!!!!! welcome to the #HeightenedOffersClub
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Had a lovely little chat with a certain Admissions Tutor

A*A*A with an A* in History :biggrin: OFFER!

By the way, have some bonus points for your mispost in the Feedback thread :wink:
Original post by Studentinschool
Has anyone received ELAT results??

I've got 30 yet still got an offer, is this common?

Or are the results being published out or 30 rather than doublemarked out of 60?

Thanks!

I got 40 when I checked so I'm guessing it's the doublemarked score. Still, that means I was in the region of marks which they describe as "probably won't be invited to interview, unless other strong evidence suggests they should be" but I still got interviewed.
Original post by neyscar
I got 40 when I checked so I'm guessing it's the doublemarked score. Still, that means I was in the region of marks which they describe as "probably won't be invited to interview, unless other strong evidence suggests they should be" but I still got interviewed.

That's an Oxford guidance not Cambridge.

Cambridge says: "It is important to stress that the test is by no means the only tool to be used in the selection process. No applicant will be invited or not invited for interview on the basis of the Admissions Test alone."
Original post by jneill

Cambridge says: "It is important to stress that the test is by no means the only tool to be used in the selection process. No applicant will be invited or not invited for interview on the basis of the Admissions Test alone."

This is definitely true because my friend didn't even take the ELAT because she was ill and got an offer @neyscar @Studentinschool
Original post by jneill

Ah, I see. I'm just wondering why they even invited me for interview. GCSEs were pretty good but that's about it. I have friends who got much higher in the admissions test and have top grades across the board and got rejected pre-interview. I guess you can never know their exact reasoning for certain decisions but they really deserved a chance.
Oh gosh that's bad! I bet you psyched yourself up for today as well. Maybe check your emails tonight just in case. Same I feel like my studies are on hold until this is out of the way and I'm losing so much time!

Thanks, you too! I was pooled by wolfson and fished by hughes hall and st. edmund's, so there were two DoS in my interview. I think they got more out of me this time to be honest and I love both colleges too. What about you? Where were you pooled from and to? Do you like your pooled college? :smile:

Ah I made sure not to get too excited in case this happened aha! I'll keep checking every now and again but I think the admissions office shuts at 5pm, so I doubt I'll hear anything today. I know, I missed all of my mocks last week because of the interview as I have to travel down the day before, and now I'm ill, so I might end up having to miss tomorrow's as well! I barely get enough frees as it is 😂

Hey that's great! Especially if you have 2 colleges considering you. Same actually, I really felt like the subject interview flowed a lot better this time, but I suppose I'll find out when I get the decision whether it actually was any good. Originally, I applied to Downing for law, and I was pooled to Selwyn. I'm really happy about it actually, I stayed overnight so I got a chance to look round the place, and it's honestly so beautiful. I think I genuinely prefer it over my original college! I wish I'd applied there in the first place haha! I hope it's good news for you whenever you get your decision 😊
Original post by eg09
It's just such a step down from Cambridge to my other options. Even if i like them as unis they aren't anywhere near as good academically.

I know. I don't think anyplace has quite the same reputation as Oxbridge ...
Original post by eg09
It's just such a step down from Cambridge to my other options. Even if i like them as unis they aren't anywhere near as good academically.

Same with me. Everyone around me is like, "Don't worry, you're still going to end up at an amazing uni!" and I know they're just trying to make me feel better but Oxford and Cambridge are just on a different level to literally anywhere else and my stupid perfectionist self hates settling for less than the best when it comes to things like this. The whole process culminating in a rejection has made me feel so dejected/unmotivated and unsure of my future and my own abilities tbh.
Reply 5331
Original post by fablereader
I know. I don't think anyplace has quite the same reputation as Oxbridge ...

No they don't, a degree from Oxbridge almost guarantees you a good job. I think I might actually take a year out and reapply.
Original post by eg09

See what you get for results and then think about re-applying. If they're good (ie at the bare minimum meet the standard offer and ideally exceed it by 1-2 A*) and you think you can improve your app (knowing you might get double-rejected) then go for it!

I know the feeling of wanting to go to The Best Places very well. I know that if I get AAAA or above (ideally A*A*AA/A*A*A*A), I'll probably reapply. And I'll do my damned hardest to make sure I can get there.

What are your other uni options op?
Original post by eg09
No they don't, a degree from Oxbridge almost guarantees you a good job.

I'm glad you wrote almost because some people take this generalisation to the extreme lol

edit: people forget that masters and dphil is a thing and that an employer wouldn't look at someone with a bachelor's from southampton and MSc and DPhil from Cambridge/Oxford and think they're thick/unemployable. I'm not sure how much employers care whether it was graduate or undergraduate study tbh, just seeing the Oxbridge name somewhere helps a fair bit. xD
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gold-Confetti
Ah I made sure not to get too excited in case this happened aha! I'll keep checking every now and again but I think the admissions office shuts at 5pm, so I doubt I'll hear anything today. I know, I missed all of my mocks last week because of the interview as I have to travel down the day before, and now I'm ill, so I might end up having to miss tomorrow's as well! I barely get enough frees as it is 😂

Hey that's great! Especially if you have 2 colleges considering you. Same actually, I really felt like the subject interview flowed a lot better this time, but I suppose I'll find out when I get the decision whether it actually was any good. Originally, I applied to Downing for law, and I was pooled to Selwyn. I'm really happy about it actually, I stayed overnight so I got a chance to look round the place, and it's honestly so beautiful. I think I genuinely prefer it over my original college! I wish I'd applied there in the first place haha! I hope it's good news for you whenever you get your decision 😊

Maybe we will both find out tomorrow! I don't know, I like to think that if we'd been certainly rejected straight off the bat they would have just told us. So hopefully there is some deliberation?? Maybe just wishful thinking :colondollar: oh no haha will you have to do those mocks anyway?

Yeah Downing gets so oversubscribed for law :smile: Selwyn is beautiful! I passed by there when I had my first interview. I actually really liked the feel of St. Edmund's today more so than Wolfson and having looked online I really like Hughes Hall's guest nights and family nights (so cute) so fingers crossed for either :redface:

Tonight will be a night of pizza and breaking bad I think haha
Original post by jneill

And CAT have said they and other colleges used them with "caution" this year, probably because it's the first year. They want to build some evidence about outcomes in relation to A level results and their own exams before deciding how significant a factor they will become. So based upon that it would appear very unlikely to be a main factor in any decision this year.
Original post by 210555
And CAT have said they and other colleges used them with "caution" this year, probably because it's the first year. They want to build some evidence about outcomes in relation to A level results and their own exams before deciding how significant a factor they will become. So based upon that it would appear very unlikely to be a main factor in any decision this year.

Yup.
Reply 5337
Original post by auburnstar
See what you get for results and then think about re-applying. If they're good (ie at the bare minimum meet the standard offer and ideally exceed it by 1-2 A*) and you think you can improve your app (knowing you might get double-rejected) then go for it!

I know the feeling of wanting to go to The Best Places very well. I know that if I get AAAA or above (ideally A*A*AA/A*A*A*A), I'll probably reapply. And I'll do my damned hardest to make sure I can get there.

What are your other uni options op?

I have only taken 3 subjects, maybe that is what disadvantaged me. But I'm predicted 3 A* and I feel I could get that.

Yeah it's just the fact that you have to invest so much time and effort in the process and then to get pooled and finally rejected is just really disappointing.

I am worried that if a reapply and then get rejected I will just have wasted a year of my life and feel even more depressed. Also, I already have offers from Warwick, Nottingham, Bath and Surrey, so could I ask to defer now (if I decide to take a year out) or would it be too late? Where else have you applied?
Reply 5338
Original post by auburnstar
I'm glad you wrote almost because some people take this generalisation to the extreme lol

edit: people forget that masters and dphil is a thing and that an employer wouldn't look at someone with a bachelor's from southampton and MSc and DPhil from Cambridge/Oxford and think they're thick/unemployable. I'm not sure how much employers care whether it was graduate or undergraduate study tbh, just seeing the Oxbridge name somewhere helps a fair bit. xD

Yes it is true that we could go to uni elsewhere and then hope to do a masters at Oxbridge. But when you have your heart set on doing a degree there it's hard to just tell yourself that it doesn't really matter and that you'll still have the same opportunities.
Maybe we will both find out tomorrow! I don't know, I like to think that if we'd been certainly rejected straight off the bat they would have just told us. So hopefully there is some deliberation?? Maybe just wishful thinking :colondollar: oh no haha will you have to do those mocks anyway?

Yeah Downing gets so oversubscribed for law :smile: Selwyn is beautiful! I passed by there when I had my first interview. I actually really liked the feel of St. Edmund's today more so than Wolfson and having looked online I really like Hughes Hall's guest nights and family nights (so cute) so fingers crossed for either :redface:

Tonight will be a night of pizza and breaking bad I think haha

God knows haha, at this point by the time I actually get the decision I'll just look at it like "oh, you finally showed up 😂"
Yes, unfortunately. I'll have to do them either after school or during my frees. I get literally no frees though because I kept my 4 subjects on 😭

Yeah it seems to have been really bad this year, I've not found anyone on here that actually got in, but I've found like 4 that were pooled. I loved it so much, I just hope they decide to take me!

I think sometimes the pool acts as intervention of fate. Almost as if the colleges know what you're suited to better than you do yourself haha! That sounds like a good plan to be honest, I would do the same, but I'm so ill I wouldn't taste it, and I have an Angevin history mock to revise for 😭. I'll be lucky to be well enough to sit it though, I want to die as of now 😂

Fingers crossed we both end up smiling tomorrow!

Latest

Trending

Trending