The Student Room Group

Girls -- is liking anime, video games and comics a turnoff 2 u??

I'm generally upbeat and confident but recently I was told that girls don't like me 'cos I'm a dork and like weird things.

This person is my cousin so she didn't say it to make me feel bad but rather to help me be more attractive.

We were talking about our lives and she started asking me personal things about myself. You know, If I have a gf, etc. I told her that I'm single and she said "well, yeah... you should be more interesting... only dorks like anime and comics". (I've a large comic book collection and around 100 anime DVDs on display in my room)

I told her I don't think it has to do with my interests, I'm just not good looking. She said she thought I was really cute, that her friends thought so too but all found me boring and dorky. None of them actually know me btw, they've seen me 2 times (maybe a few more times on the street) when I went for a coffee with my cousin.

Anyway, I won't get into into any more detail but I have to say I felt pretty *****y. Do girls really find guys with those sorts of interests boring or dorky? and what kind of interests aren't boring to girls? not that I'll change but at least I'll understand where I go wrong?

Scroll to see replies

yup
Reply 2
Inevitably some will look past that, some will even have similar interests. Most, however, will not
Yeah, they'll see you as a beta male, who contributes notihng to society and jerks it to anime maymays xDDD (waifu xd *nuzzles*).
Hit the gym and become a true alpha.
Well considering I'm into the same stuff, no.
Reply 5
Depends, are you into tentacle stuff?
Who cares?

Just be yourself. Love the things you love! Blimey, it's almost as if you can't be yourself anymore...

I have a nerdgasm every-time I find something cool on The Witcher 3. I get excited to spent almost £30 on DOTA 2 items. I have over 600 games on Steam, I attend gaming conventions, I have figurines of game characters. I may not do well with women, but they don't like less of me for being a geek.

Also, being a geek is SEXY. It means you're PASSIONATE about something and NOT AFRAID to BE YOURSELF. Plenty of chicks dig that! Hell, go to any nerd convention like Star Trek, Anime or Gaming and guess what? THERE'S WOMEN!

Tell you're cousin she's narrow minded, because she is.
I wish I could repp you a million times
Reply 8
Original post by UWS
Depends, are you into tentacle stuff?

Eurgh, no, not into hentai.
Reply 9
Well, I care. I'm not gonna change my interests, I don't think that's possible anyway. But I'd want to know what makes a guy interesting from a girl's pov.
Original post by Anonymous
Well, I care. I'm not gonna change my interests, I don't think that's possible anyway. But I'd want to know what makes a guy interesting from a girl's pov.

Have a life outside of being a nerd. All well and good be interesting in anime and comics, but if that's all you do you're going to have a tough time. Sport, volunteering, other interests etc go a long way in not only making yourself interesting but also allowing you to have a fulfilling life.
they'll get more turned off by you spelling "to" as "2"
Im exactly into that sort of stuff and let me tell you now I have a gf who is also exactly into the same stuff... also i dont consider myself as good looking or cute either so :biggrin: just remember there are loads and loads of different types of girls out there so dont worry about a minority bringing you down :frown: if you are ever looking for a girl who will appreciate your interests you most definitely will one day dont ya worry :h:
As a girl with similar hobbies I can say it's definitely not a turn off for me. To a non-gamer or non-anime fan though it potentially could be, sure. Just like some girls are turned off by guys who play sports while others fawn over them.
Not really into that stuff but it's definitely not a turn off. If anything I think it makes you more interesting and I like seeing people with interests/hobbies.
.I personally would probably find anime a turnoff, not gonna lie. Video games and comics not so much as long as it's not the absolute only thing a guy lives for, but tbh all the guys I know who like anime are weeaboos, unattractive to me, or both (though I'm sure that's not true of all anime fans).
However, I've often developed a crush on someone I didn't find attractive at first, simply because I got to know them better as a whole. 'Liking anime' isn't exactly the biggest factor. So yeah, there's nothing wrong with it and there are loads of girls into that stuff too :smile:
it's all preference. there are plenty of girls who enjoy these things as well.

personally I love videogames but hate anime and find it cringey as ****. don't mind comics though.
It also depends what else you do in your life. Are you on a sports team? There needs to be a balance instead of being confined to your bedroom playing games and tossing off to anime all day.
(edited 7 years ago)
imo, id rather date a dorky guy who loves anime, like that would actually be much cooler than dating a mainstream guy, especially because im definitely not normal and i love anime so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This.
Video games are great. I love playing video games so finding a guy who loves them, and loves the ones I play are a double bonus😆 They won't turn me away, and I've dated plenty of guys who love video games. As long as when I come over the game isn't more important than me it's all good.

Comics won't bother me. I'll probably be interested in what they're about if I saw them but it all depends on what the comic is. As for anime, it's very touch and go. It depends what the anime is and to what extent you obsess over them outside of reading them in your own quiet time. As long as none of them are hentai (tbf if I found out a guy liked hentai I would be way put off) I would still consider the guy. Depends what his personality is like.

Latest

Trending

Trending