The Student Room Group

Is my weight normal?

I am 22 years old male and 6 feet 2 inches tall. My weight is 92 kg. Am I overweight? I saw my BMI and I am slightly on border line of being overweight. I am hoping to loose 5-8 kgs, does jogging helps, or should I do yoga exercise. Any tips on how you people maintain your weight?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Mr. Petrol Head
I am 22 years old male and 6 feet 2 inches tall. My weight is 92 kg. Am I overweight? I saw my BMI and I am slightly on border line of being overweight. I am hoping to loose 5-8 kgs, does jogging helps, or should I do yoga exercise. Any tips on how you people maintain your weight?

BMI is an outdated system. It doesn't measure your health, however if you want to be more healthy, jogging would help, as would yoga. Jogging is more intense exercise, so you would lose more weight. You should also watch your diet though, if you're worried you are unhealthy. Opt for fruit and water rather than chocolate and coca cola!

BMI is a good ready reckoner and is not out of date. It has flaws though and doesnt tell the whole story, but then it never claimed to.

You lose weight by being at a calorie deficit that is bruning more energy that you consume cosistently. 80% is really done by eating less (portion control) as thats much easier than expending energy through exercise. You can lose 5-8kg in 6-12 weeks.

You maintain weight by counting your calories. Weighing on a scale. Go and join Myfitnesspal.
Original post by Amefish
BMI is an outdated system. It doesn't measure your health, however if you want to be more healthy, jogging would help, as would yoga. Jogging is more intense exercise, so you would lose more weight. You should also watch your diet though, if you're worried you are unhealthy. Opt for fruit and water rather than chocolate and coca cola!

Thanks for your's advice :smile:. I don't like Coke at all, and I will try to avoid chocolate.
Are you fat though?
I agree that BMI is out of date. As a rower I am in the overweight range when I am a UK dress size 8. It depends how much muscle you have built so body fat percentage is a better measure. There's nothing wrong with getting healthier though, and any exercise is good for that! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by epsilondelta
I agree that BMI is out of date. As a rower I am in the overweight range when I am a UK dress size 8. It depends how much muscle you have built so body fat percentage is a better measure. There's nothing wrong with getting healthier though, and any exercise is good for that! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't believe in BMI, I have denser bones, and a 33 inch waist and yet weight 92 kgs at 6feet 2inches
I don't believe in BMI, I have denser bones, and a 33 inch waist and yet weight 92 kgs at 6feet 2inches

A 33 inch waist is normal and healthy! Also it is possible to have more bone than average - I have a lot of bone for a girl (this gets measured when you have your body fat % done). To be honest, I think you're completely fine. This said, exercise has benefits that stretch further than weight loss. It's great for internal health and mental health too

Spoiler

Original post by epsilondelta
A 33 inch waist is normal and healthy! Also it is possible to have more bone than average - I have a lot of bone for a girl (this gets measured when you have your body fat % done). To be honest, I think you're completely fine. This said, exercise has benefits that stretch further than weight loss. It's great for internal health and mental health too

Spoiler

Haha thanks, 36 is normal as well. it's in my genetics having higher bone density. Exactly, I started jogging for 10 miles a day, hopefully I will reduce my weight to 88 kgs. Thanksfor your help :h:

Quick Reply

Latest