The Student Room Group

Help with EPQ to get into uni :)

I need some help with my EPQ primary research, as it is an important step into gaining the full marks, this could make the difference from me going to uni or selling ice cream in the road. Okay, not really, but it would be VERY helpful and much APPRECIATED if you could please complete these questions. Thank you

What is your Title?*
What do you classify yourself as?*

****** Muslim******* Jewish***** **** Protestant****** Catholic****** Hindu****** Agnostic******* Atheist*

Do you believe in God?*

***** Yes************ No**
"God created us in his image, so we shouldnt alter our genome." Comment on this statement**
Do you know what genetic engineering is?*Please give a full definition of the term.*
An unborn child has been diagnosed with Down's Syndrome. In the near future, if this was found at an early stage, the embryo could undergo a life changing treatment, this would be consdered to be Genetic Engineering (GE).* Do you think its justificable to use GE to improve quality life? Comment of this statement.*
Do you thick a near future could be at risk if GE is developed further.*If so, how?*
Do you believe life stats at the moment of conception*?*
*Yes / No*
Wat do you think religion and science can coexist*?*
Yes/ No*
Do*you think its safe to eat GMO crops? **
Yes /No*
What is your Title?
Miss

What do you classify yourself as?
Atheist

Do you believe in God?
No

"God created us in his image, so we shouldnt alter our genome." Comment on this statement
I don't believe in God, so I don't believe that we shouldn't alter our genome because of him creating us.

Do you know what genetic engineering is? Please give a full definition of the term.
I have heard of it but don't know exactly what it is

An unborn child has been diagnosed with Down's Syndrome. In the near future, if this was found at an early stage, the embryo could undergo a life changing treatment, this would be consdered to be Genetic Engineering (GE).* Do you think its justificable to use GE to improve quality life? Comment of this statement.
Yes, but only to improve quality of life if it would be seriously affected otherwise

Do you thick a near future could be at risk if GE is developed further. If so, how?
No, I don't think it would change dramatically

Do you believe life stats at the moment of conception?
No

Wat do you think religion and science can coexist?
No

Do you think its safe to eat GMO crops?
Generally, no

I apologise if my answers aren't very helpful :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by aco1999
I need some help with my EPQ primary research, as it is an important step into gaining the full marks, this could make the difference from me going to uni or selling ice cream in the road. Okay, not really, but it would be VERY helpful and much APPRECIATED if you could please complete these questions. Thank you

What is your Title?*
What do you classify yourself as?*

****** Muslim******* Jewish***** **** Protestant****** Catholic****** Hindu****** Agnostic******* Atheist*

Do you believe in God?*

***** Yes************ No**
"God created us in his image, so we shouldnt alter our genome." Comment on this statement**
Do you know what genetic engineering is?*Please give a full definition of the term.*
An unborn child has been diagnosed with Down's Syndrome. In the near future, if this was found at an early stage, the embryo could undergo a life changing treatment, this would be consdered to be Genetic Engineering (GE).* Do you think its justificable to use GE to improve quality life? Comment of this statement.*
Do you thick a near future could be at risk if GE is developed further.*If so, how?*
Do you believe life stats at the moment of conception*?*
*Yes / No*
Wat do you think religion and science can coexist*?*
Yes/ No*
Do*you think its safe to eat GMO crops? **
Yes /No*

1. Dr lol jk im just a student
2. Muslim
3. Yasssss
4. I believe this statement to a certain degree. God did create us in his image so I believe that we shouldn't alter our physical appearance. However, there are times where it is justifiable so I think that it should only be used in circumstances where it is highly necessary.

5. The modification of an organism by manipulating the genetic material. ( I googled this so I wouldn't look dumb :P)

6. I think that genetic engineering should only be used in a life or death situation. This is because, many children with disabilities like downs syndrome live a good quality of life. Just because they are unable to do certain things that a regular child can do, they can still do most things. And also there are many charities and centres that can help with children with disabilities and help them to live life to the fullest. I strongly believe in God so I believe that it was in Gods's plan for a child to have a disability so to alter the child's genome is to play with God's plan.

7. Yes because say for example all children who were to be born with down syndrome were to have their DNA modified, then it could be fatal in the future if a disease comes and wipes out all those with the new gene. Also, there is the fear of designer babies becoming much more prominent which goes back to my point of if a new disease was to come around targeting for example people with blue eyes, most of the population would be wiped out. It also interferes with natural selection.

8.No. I think that at conception it is just a bunch of cells that have no feelings. In my opinion, life begins as soon as signs of a fetus begin to develop.

9. Yes. Because science doesn't disprove God, it only shows that everything is caused by something and most theories have no proof of a cause. Take the big bang for example, the cause has not yet been scientifically proven so until then, it shows that there must be a omnipotent being, God.

10. Yes or they wouldn't be so widely produced and sold. Also, it has lots of benefits such as golden rice which is high in vitamin A and is good for those with vitamin deficiencies, particularly in rural countries such as African and India.

Hope this helps. And if A levels doesnt work out for you then just leave me your details and I will support you by buying the ice cream you would be selling

Reply 3
Original post by Leviathan1741
What is your Title?
I don't know what this one is asking for :colondollar:

Atheist

Do you believe in God?
No

"God created us in his image, so we shouldnt alter our genome." Comment on this statement
I don't believe in God, so I don't believe that we shouldn't alter our genome because of him creating us.

Do you know what genetic engineering is? Please give a full definition of the term.
I have heard of it but don't know exactly what it is

An unborn child has been diagnosed with Down's Syndrome. In the near future, if this was found at an early stage, the embryo could undergo a life changing treatment, this would be consdered to be Genetic Engineering (GE).* Do you think its justificable to use GE to improve quality life? Comment of this statement.
Yes, but only to improve quality of life

Do you thick a near future could be at risk if GE is developed further. If so, how?
No

No

Wat do you think religion and science can coexist?
No

No

I apologise if my answers aren't very helpful :redface:

Hello and thank for your answers, believe it or not they are very helpful, as now thanks to them i wont have to sell ice cream :smile:
Original post by aco1999
Hello and thank for your answers, believe it or not they are very helpful, as now thanks to them i wont have to sell ice cream :smile:

Haha you're welcome, I've edited them a bit by the way :smile:
What is your Title?
Miss

Protestant if I had to pick 1 of those but more of an Evangelical Christian.

Do you believe in God?
Yes

"God created us in his image, so we shouldn't alter our genome." Comment on this statement.
I agree with this up to a point but I'm really not too sure.

The genetic modification of a living being (I guess organism would be the fancy word :tongue:). (Although I don't do A Level Bio so this could be a bit shaky!)

An unborn child has been diagnosed with Down's Syndrome. In the near future, if this was found at an early stage, the embryo could undergo a life changing treatment, this would be considered to be Genetic Engineering (GE).Do you think its justifiable to use GE to improve quality life? Comment of this statement.
I agree as long as it was a serious health issue that was being improved. It could be argued that having certain colour hair/eyes/skin could improve your quality of life but I wouldn't consider this acceptable. For me to find it acceptable, there would also have to be no destruction of other embryos.

Do you think a near future could be at risk if GE is developed further. If so, how?
I think there is a real risk that GE could be used to adjust more aesthetic features of embryos and potentially lead to designer babies. I don't know how this would directly risk 'the future' but I think it would be sad to reduce human babies to little more than clothing or something that you can design. I guess there could be some genetic risks attached to continued modification but I'm not too sure.

If not yes then very, very soon after. I think it's unacceptable to destroy an embryo (or more accurately, a zygote) at any stage of development if that helps.

Do you think religion and science can coexist?
Definitely.

Yes.
Reply 6
Original post by Bubs051213
What is your Title?
Miss

Protestant if I had to pick 1 of those but more of an Evangelical Christian.

Do you believe in God?
Yes

"God created us in his image, so we shouldn't alter our genome." Comment on this statement.
I agree with this up to a point but I'm really not too sure.

The genetic modification of a living being (I guess organism would be the fancy word :tongue:). (Although I don't do A Level Bio so this could be a bit shaky!)

An unborn child has been diagnosed with Down's Syndrome. In the near future, if this was found at an early stage, the embryo could undergo a life changing treatment, this would be considered to be Genetic Engineering (GE).Do you think its justifiable to use GE to improve quality life? Comment of this statement.
I agree as long as it was a serious health issue that was being improved. It could be argued that having certain colour hair/eyes/skin could improve your quality of life but I wouldn't consider this acceptable. For me to find it acceptable, there would also have to be no destruction of other embryos.

Do you think a near future could be at risk if GE is developed further. If so, how?
I think there is a real risk that GE could be used to adjust more aesthetic features of embryos and potentially lead to designer babies. I don't know how this would directly risk 'the future' but I think it would be sad to reduce human babies to little more than clothing or something that you can design. I guess there could be some genetic risks attached to continued modification but I'm not too sure.

If not yes then very, very soon after. I think it's unacceptable to destroy an embryo (or more accurately, a zygote) at any stage of development if that helps.

Do you think religion and science can coexist?
Definitely.

Yes.

Thank you so much for your opinion, I would add it to my EPQ :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by Swabura

1. Dr lol jk im just a student
2. Muslim
3. Yasssss
4. I believe this statement to a certain degree. God did create us in his image so I believe that we shouldn't alter our physical appearance. However, there are times where it is justifiable so I think that it should only be used in circumstances where it is highly necessary.

5. The modification of an organism by manipulating the genetic material. ( I googled this so I wouldn't look dumb :P)

6. I think that genetic engineering should only be used in a life or death situation. This is because, many children with disabilities like downs syndrome live a good quality of life. Just because they are unable to do certain things that a regular child can do, they can still do most things. And also there are many charities and centres that can help with children with disabilities and help them to live life to the fullest. I strongly believe in God so I believe that it was in Gods's plan for a child to have a disability so to alter the child's genome is to play with God's plan.

7. Yes because say for example all children who were to be born with down syndrome were to have their DNA modified, then it could be fatal in the future if a disease comes and wipes out all those with the new gene. Also, there is the fear of designer babies becoming much more prominent which goes back to my point of if a new disease was to come around targeting for example people with blue eyes, most of the population would be wiped out. It also interferes with natural selection.

8.No. I think that at conception it is just a bunch of cells that have no feelings. In my opinion, life begins as soon as signs of a fetus begin to develop.

9. Yes. Because science doesn't disprove God, it only shows that everything is caused by something and most theories have no proof of a cause. Take the big bang for example, the cause has not yet been scientifically proven so until then, it shows that there must be a omnipotent being, God.

10. Yes or they wouldn't be so widely produced and sold. Also, it has lots of benefits such as golden rice which is high in vitamin A and is good for those with vitamin deficiencies, particularly in rural countries such as African and India.

Hope this helps. And if A levels doesnt work out for you then just leave me your details and I will support you by buying the ice cream you would be selling

AYYYYYY SWABS thank you so much for listning to me and anwering my question. Thank you for following my orders, ah jokin fam :smile: THANK YOU SO MUCH and good luck with your epq, other wise you can join me at plan B: SELLING ICECREAM or SD :P

Quick Reply

Latest