The Student Room Group

2017 Oxford Prospective Students [part 2]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by justpondering
@BrasenoseAdm
Is feedback sent to our UCAS referee automatically or do we have to request it? (For both offer holders and those who were rejected)

Some of our selectors send out feedback to candidates/referees without it being requested but this is rare. The usual route is to request it.

Both offer holders and those not receiving offers can request feedback. The deadline for requests is 30th April.
Original post by Kalikumar
To Branose Admission

I heard some where in the TSR saying that this year Cambridge and Oxford will get the applications from 'Adjustment' (not clearing) after the result day as this year's at if the subjects are reform and uncertainty of predicted rest. Is it True?

Oxford will receive results for offer holders as in previous years a few days prior to the official release. The University will not be taking part in adjustment.
Out of curiosity, are there any offer holders requesting feedback? I'm not sure whether I should or not.
Reply 163
Original post by felecita
Out of curiosity, are there any offer holders requesting feedback? I'm not sure whether I should or not.

Yeah why not? Knowing what you were weak on in interviews will only help you be better in an actual tutorial. And also I'd just like to know my MAT score, because if it's high I'll be happy and if it's low I'll be grateful I got in anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Some of our selectors send out feedback to candidates/referees without it being requested but this is rare. The usual route is to request it.

Both offer holders and those not receiving offers can request feedback. The deadline for requests is 30th April.

What is the process for requesting feedback? Does it go through referees or through the candidate?
@BrasenoseAdm

Dear Brasenose Admission

My son has been lucky enough to receive an offer for a history course (a smaller one of the joint courses). However, he is now starting to regret not applying for a deferred place as there are things he really wants to do on a gap year (educationally relevant things) as well as feeling the need to mature. Is it too late for him to ask for his place to be deferred, and, if he makes such a request, can his offer be withdrawn by his college? Are such requests looked at or simply dismissed. He didn't apply for a deferred place originally becuase his school really discouraged it. Thank you for your thoughts.
Original post by wishingyouwere
@BrasenoseAdm

Dear Brasenose Admission

My son has been lucky enough to receive an offer for a history course (a smaller one of the joint courses). However, he is now starting to regret not applying for a deferred place as there are things he really wants to do on a gap year (educationally relevant things) as well as feeling the need to mature. Is it too late for him to ask for his place to be deferred, and, if he makes such a request, can his offer be withdrawn by his college? Are such requests looked at or simply dismissed. He didn't apply for a deferred place originally becuase his school really discouraged it. Thank you for your thoughts.

The offer won't be rescinded so there is no downside to asking.

In general, colleges are reluctant to agree to requests for deferrals that are not sought at the outset of the UCAS cycle in the absence of complelling personal circumstances (such as illness, for example). One reason is that a deferred place created now will count against next year's cohort who will have one fewer place available to them. If your son was mis-advised by his school and if he is very young for the peer group (you mention maturity), then these arguments might be made. It is, however, entirely at the discretion of the college whether or not to agree to the request.

We hope this advice is helpful.
Original post by felecita

Yes because I'd like to know my MLAT score :h:
@BrasenoseAdm Has the university assessed regarding impact on students of decision day being in January? Having followed this thread (and others) the current approach seems unnecessarily insensitive - particuarly given the drawn out nature of the entire application and acceptance process. That some colleges also only send letters, with some candidates in limbo for several days, also seems inconsiderate and high handed, adding to the aura of Oxbridge as a privileged club (a reputation which continues to put many off applying).

Thanks
Original post by Coolibah
@BrasenoseAdm Has the university assessed regarding impact on students of decision day being in January? Having followed this thread (and others) the current approach seems unnecessarily insensitive - particuarly given the drawn out nature of the entire application and acceptance process. That some colleges also only send letters, with some candidates in limbo for several days, also seems inconsiderate and high handed, adding to the aura of Oxbridge as a privileged club (a reputation which continues to put many off applying).

Thanks

The University Admissions Office consulted with schools (and other stakeholders) about this and decided that sending decisions out in first full school week post Christmas was the best option. Brasenose was among those favouring an earlier decision date but we accepted the consensus reached on this issue.

We send letters to UK applicants because we believe it is the most secure form of communication and because a physical address is less susceptible to change post-application than an electronic one. In the case of overseas applicants, postal communication is less reliable and so we use electronic communication. The smaller number of overseas applicants means that it is easier for us to verify changes of electronic address.

We provide support to offer-holders throughout the process and field enquiries by telephone, letter, and email. In addition, we are available on this forum to respond to queries.

Over time, the application and offer pools are becoming more (rather than less) diverse. This year, 24% of our UK offers were made to candidates from the University's target schools (65% to state schools); more than 10% were made to applicants from the most deprived postcodes; more than 11% to candidates from postcodes with the lowest progression rates to Higher Education; and more than 6% to candidates declaring a disability or special learning need.
(edited 7 years ago)
I totally agree with the process being insensitive and, by today's standards, slightly outdated.
Received my rejection letter today (16th Jan) after having to pay the postage fees myself. I guess the college didn't care enough too...

This has really put me off the university
@BrasenoseAdm
Sorry to bother you as I feel someone may have already asked this question, but is there a specific contact at the college that I need to email in order to request feedback? The information wasn't included on the letter I received.
Thanks.
Original post by rolex8234
I totally agree with the process being insensitive and, by today's standards, slightly outdated.
Received my rejection letter today (16th Jan) after having to pay the postage fees myself. I guess the college didn't care enough too...

Why did you need to pay the fees yourself?
Original post by amygracebroad
@BrasenoseAdm
Sorry to bother you as I feel someone may have already asked this question, but is there a specific contact at the college that I need to email in order to request feedback? The information wasn't included on the letter I received.
Thanks.

Please use the address used previously for correspondence [email protected]
Original post by Barbastelle
Why did you need to pay the fees yourself?

The college I applied to (KEBLE) didnt pay for the postage.....

Ended up having to pay them. It's ridiculous and humiliating. You'd think they'd have more respect and care for the students that invest hours in to applications for their university.
:ashamed:
Congrats on your offer btw :h:
@Barbastelle Also, my whole experience was bad. They kept rescheduling my interview, and it was ended abruptly because the tutor's phone rang and she picked up.

Not to forget that they pretty much forgot about me when it came to giving out decisions
The college I applied to (KEBLE) didnt pay for the postage.....

Ended up having to pay them. It's ridiculous and humiliating. You'd think they'd have more respect and care for the students that invest hours in to applications for their university.
:ashamed:
Congrats on your offer btw :h:

@Barbastelle Also, my whole experience was bad. They kept rescheduling my interview, and it was ended abruptly because the tutor's phone rang and she picked up.

Not to forget that they pretty much forgot about me when it came to giving out decisions

That's bizarre, I haven't heard of any colleges making the applicants pay for the postage of their offer/rejection letters :s-smilie:
Thank you :h:
Why did they forget about you?
Original post by Barbastelle
That's bizarre, I haven't heard of any colleges making the applicants pay for the postage of their offer/rejection letters :s-smilie:
Thank you :h:
Why did they forget about you?

Honestly Idk, it sure as hell felt like they did.
I hadn't gotten my letter till 5 days late, plus I had to collect it from the post office myself. Do you think i should write a formal complaint. (or head straight to the BBC and offer them a story haha)
Honestly Idk, it sure as hell felt like they did.
I hadn't gotten my letter till 5 days late, plus I had to collect it from the post office myself. Do you think i should write a formal complaint. (or head straight to the BBC and offer them a story haha)

I don't know what to advise, but I doubt a complaint would be worth it. I wonder if anyone else applied to Keble (or elsewhere in the University) and had a similar experience?

Sorry to hear about the rejection and all the trouble you've gone through. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending