The Student Room Group

30 year old sister wants to study health and social at college

My older sister who is currently a carer wants to go to college and study health and social with the aim of being a midwife. She only got Es in her gcses (was a chav, ergh) and is willing to redo them during the course (has 2 kids) though as she is a carer i imagine this would give a slight boost. What would be the best method?
Original post by hollylandrews
My older sister who is currently a carer wants to go to college and study health and social with the aim of being a midwife. She only got Es in her gcses (was a chav, ergh) and is willing to redo them during the course (has 2 kids) though as she is a carer i imagine this would give a slight boost. What would be the best method?

I would advise she contacts her local colleges to ask them what courses and options they offer. Also check midwife courses at university, if that is the route she is going to go down, and check the entry requirements - she may need to resit some GCSEs.

I think she would probably study Level 3 Health and Social Care alongside GCSE Maths and English if she hasn't got a C grade or equivalent. But it's best to call the college and speak to someone there.
Original post by rayquaza17
I would advise she contacts her local colleges to ask them what courses and options they offer. Also check midwife courses at university, if that is the route she is going to go down, and check the entry requirements - she may need to resit some GCSEs.

I think she would probably study Level 3 Health and Social Care alongside GCSE Maths and English if she hasn't got a C grade or equivalent. But it's best to call the college and speak to someone there.

Do you think she would need to do science too?
Original post by hollylandrews
Do you think she would need to do science too?

I'm not sure. That's why I think she needs to get in touch with a college - they will know what she needs to do.
She will need to study the Level 3 Extended Diploma not the Diploma. The Extended Diploma is equivalent to 3 A Levels, the Diploma only two.

Quick Reply

Latest