The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eg09
I had 6 interviews...

:hug:
Reply 5401
Original post by auburnstar
:hug:

@jneill If its possible, could you please send me the spreadsheet that contains how each university sends their acceptances and rejection notices - or anyone else if they have access to it :smile:

Thanks!
Original post by econprospective
@jneill If its possible, could you please send me the spreadsheet that contains how each university sends their acceptances and rejection notices - or anyone else if they have access to it :smile:

Thanks!

I didn't do one this year.
i got an offer through ucas but haven't heard from the college yet, is this normal?? :eek: :eek:
Original post by jneill
I didn't do one this year.

How very much unlike you, our resident appointed statistician !
Original post by wolfmoon88
St Andrews?

And where do you get these statistics?

plus I forgot to ask this but do you have the statistics of where American students are most likely to study in the UK? I remember you posting it somewhere on tsr but I forgot where.

St A 42.6%

An FOI request I found. I had to consolidate and cajole into a humungous spreadsheet to make it useful.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/masters_applications_2

And StA has the highest % of Americans :smile: Please hold the line while I try to dig out the post.

Edit: found it: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=68766034&postcount=33
Most popular UK universities for American students (by total number of students):
#1 St Andrews (1,535 students)
#2 Edinburgh (1,275)
#3 Oxford (1,220)
#4 Westminster (1,035)
#5 UCL (965)
#6 LSE (595)
#7 Cambridge (580)
#8 KCL (545)
#9 Glasgow (445)
#10 UAL (355)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gold-Confetti
Hey what did you guys actually apply for again?

Econ, literally can they tell us please this is killing me!!!
Original post by bethipayne
Originally, Law at Downing:h:

Oh me too! Jesus did they actually accept anyone or did they pool their entire pile of law applicants because I've seen about 5 people who were pooled by them but no one who actually got in 😂
Original post by somebodyelse98
Econ, literally can they tell us please this is killing me!!!

Did you apply to Pembroke originally? I may have spoken to you while I was there for interview last week.

Ah I know, at this point even it's a rejection it's still gonna be a relief because at least I'll know what the situation even is 😂
Original post by KidDarkness
i got an offer through ucas but haven't heard from the college yet, is this normal?? :eek: :eek:

Yep. The formal letter should be with you soon! (If not, chase up your college.)

Original post by auburnstar
How very much unlike you, our resident appointed statistician !

Couldn't be bothered... :wink: (But the info was in the Decsions FAQ post.)
Original post by jneill
St A 42.6%

An FOI request I found. I had to consolidate and cajole into a humungous spreadsheet to make it useful.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/masters_applications_2

And StA has the highest % of Americans :smile: Please hold the line while I try to dig out the post.

Edit: found it: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=68766034&postcount=33

That's a high percentage :tongue:
Original post by wolfmoon88
That's a high percentage :tongue:

Top 30 by Offer Success Rate for applicants to Cambridge Masters courses
(universities with at least 100 applicants in the last 4 years)
# University - Offer Rate
1 Cambridge 76.1%
2 MIT 73.0%
3 Princeton 70.9%
4 Harvard 62.9%
5 Brown 62.6%
6 Stanford 58.8%
7 Oxford 53.4%
8 U Pennsylvania 51.8%
9 Melbourne 51.4%
10 Columbia 50.6%
11 Chicago 50.0%
12 Sydney 49.2%
13 Trinity College Dublin 48.7%
14 National University of Singapore 47.8%
15 New York University 46.0%
16 Cape Town 44.7%
17 Cornell 44.0%
18 UC Berkeley 43.5%
19 St Andrews 42.6%
20 McGill 42.0%
21 KCL 41.1%
22 Edinburgh 40.4%
23 Sussex 39.6%
24 SOAS 38.3%
25 UCL 37.3%
26 Durham 37.2%
27 British Columbia 34.4%
28 Newcastle 34.1%
29 Imperial 33.5%
30 Leeds 33.5%
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gold-Confetti
Did you apply to Pembroke originally? I may have spoken to you while I was there for interview last week.

Ah I know, at this point even it's a rejection it's still gonna be a relief because at least I'll know what the situation even is 😂

yep pembroke! maybe - i was quite antisocial though sorry ahahah, just too nervy for interview. Yeah i agree, feel like this is such a weird time when everyone else apart from us knows literally
Original post by jneill
Yep. The formal letter should be with you soon! (If not, chase up your college.)

Couldn't be bothered... :wink: (But the info was in the Decsions FAQ post.)

Alright, thanks :biggrin:
@jneill I can't thank you enough for all of your insights! I'm an American student who was pooled by St. Johns for Economics and not fished resulting in a rejection. I have five AP scores of 5 and two AP scores of 4 and am currently taking 7 more AP tests. I scored a 1540 out of 1600 on the SAT and have SATII results of 800, 800 and 720. I'm also a National Merit Scholar and an AP Scholar. I felt my two interviews went well. I have asked for feedback, but, I'm wondering about you thoughts on taking a gap year. I'm fluent in French and German and have passed the exam to study at any university in Germany for free, but, feel that it might be best to take a job opportunity over there in my field for a year and then reapply to Cambridge. I was hoping you could chance me as well as give me any advice! Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dreamstoreality
@jneill I can't thank you enough for all of your insights! I'm an American student who was pooled by St. Johns for Economics and not fished resulting in a rejection. I have five AP scores of 5 and two AP scores of 4 and am currently taking 7 more AP tests. I scored a 1540 out of 1600 on the SAT and have SATII results of 800, 800 and 720. I'm also a National Merit Scholar and an AP Scholar. I felt my two interviews went well. I have asked for feedback, but, I'm wondering about you thoughts on taking a gap year. I'm fluent in French and German and have passed the exam to study at any university in Germany for free, but, feel that it might be best to take a job opportunity over there in my field for a year and then reapply to Cambridge. I was hoping you could chance me as well as give me any advice! Thank you!

I am honestly not familiar enough with US qualifications to meaningfully advise you :smile: - except to ask in what way can you improve your application next time (beyond work experience, which Cambridge won't really be that interested in)?
Original post by somebodyelse98
yep pembroke! maybe - i was quite antisocial though sorry ahahah, just too nervy for interview. Yeah i agree, feel like this is such a weird time when everyone else apart from us knows literally

It's actually painful haha, I need this out of the way now I'm just done with not knowing since October. Plus I need some sort of gauge of how much of my life I need to sign over to revision in the next few months 😂

Well if you're from either Northamptonshire or London, I'm pretty sure it was you I spoke to!
Original post by jneill
Top 30 by Offer Success Rate for applicants to Cambridge Masters courses
(universities with at least 100 applicants in the last 4 years)
# University - Offer Rate
1 Cambridge 76.1%
2 MIT 73.0%
3 Princeton 70.9%
4 Harvard 62.9%
5 Brown 62.6%
6 Stanford 58.8%
7 Oxford 53.4%
8 U Pennsylvania 51.8%
9 Melbourne 51.4%
10 Columbia 50.6%
11 Chicago 50.0%
12 Sydney 49.2%
13 Trinity College Dublin 48.7%
14 National University of Singapore 47.8%
15 New York University 46.0%
16 Cape Town 44.7%
17 Cornell 44.0%
18 UC Berkeley 43.5%
19 St Andrews 42.6%
20 McGill 42.0%
21 KCL 41.1%
22 Edinburgh 40.4%
23 Sussex 39.6%
24 SOAS 38.3%
25 UCL 37.3%
26 Durham 37.2%
27 British Columbia 34.4%
28 Newcastle 34.1%
29 Imperial 33.5%
30 Leeds 33.5%

Assuming I don't get high grades and decide to reapply, the statistic for Durham doesn't look reassuring xDD Although with graduate application it's more about the research project proposal, references etc so I guess each applicant will be very different within each university. Interesting that Oxford applicants were only given offers 53% of the time and Cambridge 76%......
Original post by jneill
I am honestly not familiar enough with US qualifications to meaningfully advise you :smile: - except to ask in what way can you improve your application next time (beyond work experience, which Cambridge won't really be that interested in)?

I really just don't know! I fell in love with Cambridge during my interview and was so disappointed when I didn't get an offer.

Latest