The Student Room Group

What to take for A-Level?

So at the moment I'm in the processing of deciding my A-levels but I don't know what I want to do in the future very much (possibly some sort or journalist/film career but I'm not sure, even if I couldget onto to doing that) Careers appointment recommended I take facilitating subjects and as I really don't enjoy maths/science things, I've narrowed it down to English Lit or Lang (which would you say is better?), Modern or ancient history (again which would you say is better), French, RS, and possible media studies although considering doing some sort of media EPQ instead.... sorry If this was wordy I just want a bit of advice!

Spoiler

just take the ones you're best at and find the most interesting
English Lit, History and French is a really good combination!
Original post by yowhyy
So at the moment I'm in the processing of deciding my A-levels but I don't know what I want to do in the future very much (possibly some sort or journalist/film career but I'm not sure, even if I couldget onto to doing that) Careers appointment recommended I take facilitating subjects and as I really don't enjoy maths/science things, I've narrowed it down to English Lit or Lang (which would you say is better?), Modern or ancient history (again which would you say is better), French, RS, and possible media studies although considering doing some sort of media EPQ instead.... sorry If this was wordy I just want a bit of advice!

English lit/lang: Tough to get an A*, espect alot of reading in your free time.
History/ancient H: Similar to English, the amount of essay's required weekly is really stressful.
French: Really good choice if your generally enthusiastic, A-A* in GCSE or can speak it.
RS: Load of bull. Doubt top 40 Universities will take it seriously, would be okay if you were doing 4 A2s.
Media Studies: Worst option, I had friends that couldn't get enough sleep from the amount of analysing movies. Expect to watch 10+ '50s movies and write essays about them to help with your final projects.

If I were you study for Law
Take the following subjects:
1- English Lang
2- Ancient History
3- Psychology
4- French (If you can) or Government & Politics

Heres a link that can help narrow down things:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_Level_Subject_Guides
I take History + Ancient History and find they compliment each other without being too similar. Classical Civilisation (Ancient History) is, I find, easier than History, however.

I also take French, which is a great A Level if you enjoy learning languages.

I took English Literature (more "facilitating" than English Language) for a few weeks before dropping it - History and English is a popular combination, and English Lit is a good A Level if you enjoy reading and don't get bored by analysing books and poems often (the reason why I dropped it - didn't find it fun in the slightest but I know many people who enjoy doing so).

I'd recommend [History, English, and French], or [History, Ancient History, and English] as combinations (Doing all 4 would be pretty stressful - History, Ancient History, and English are all heavily essay based so adding a language A Level on top would be pretty stressful), along with maybe an EPQ. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest