The Student Room Group

Hilter was Austrian not German

Scroll to see replies

Wall street was funding him aswell. I wouldn't be surprised if he was even a jew insider.
Original post by England113
For the people who say he is German. Please search it up

I agree with you.
When I was in year 9, I had to do a report on Hitler.
He was born on the border of Austria and Germany.
Original post by Inexorably
To all who are saying that since Hitler said he was German he is German, you are aware it does not work like that at all. He was born and grew up in Austria and due to his 'extended stay' in Germany could probably be classed as dual german-austrian nationality.

Just because he claims he's X, doesn't mean he is.

I was born in England but I can't waltz around claiming I'm a true Russian despite never having been brought up there.

Not again,
No, you can't claim you're a Russian. But say Nazi Germany won and Romania was part of Germany. Do you think Romanians would consider themselves Germans despite their hundreds of years of history as a distinct national identity?

Why are people having problems understanding that a town on the border of Germany that now belongs to a state which has only existed for a few decades has people in it who still consider themselves German?
How long have you been sitting on this information? Have you alerted the authorities yet?
Original post by England113
For the people who say he is German. Please search it up

Judging by Hitler's birth place, you are both right and wrong. Right, because Braunau am Inn does not belong to Germany, wrong because Braunau am Inn belongs to Austro-Hungary at that time.
He was an ethnic German born in Austria, which is separate from Germany for historical reasons.
Could we come to a common agreement by saying Hitler was a German-speaking insane dictator who has spent a great part of time in Germany?
Reply 47
Original post by Kallisto
Could we come to a common agreement by saying Hitler was a German-speaking insane dictator who has spent a great part of time in Germany?

I agree
Original post by AshEntropy
I agree

Thank you. Anyone else? is it really so much important what Hitler's true nationality was? he was a mass murderer either way, no matter whether he is regarded as a German, an Austrian or something like that.
Original post by TheExtrovertGod
He did not believe Austria was a separate identity, but rather part of the German race. He was in the German army during WW1. Spoke German, went through the German political process, spent time in German jail, had German citizenship and was leader of Germany.

How could he possibly be considered Austrian just because he was born there?

Just because he was born there.

That is your answer. If you were to analyze the DNA of everyone you are with right now, vast majority of people will have less than 50% DNA from the country they are born in. So what makes them say they are X or Y - just because they were born there.
Original post by yudothis
Just because he was born there.

That is your answer. If you were to analyze the DNA of everyone you are with right now, vast majority of people will have less than 50% DNA from the country they are born in. So what makes them say they are X or Y - just because they were born there.

Lol, I once told a rabid Kipper that we were all probably about 1/3 German via the Anglo-Saxons. He almost had a fit. :biggrin:
Original post by JamesN88
Lol, I once told a rabid Kipper that we were all probably about 1/3 German via the Anglo-Saxons. He almost had a fit. :biggrin:

Haha that is something people should maybe start doing :smile: Although he probably just forgot it 10 minutes later and continued as usual. As they always do...
In equally drastic and devastating news, the sky is up.
Sigh.

He was born in Austria, Austria at the time was a separate nation state thus Hitler was of Austrian birth and an Austrian. This does not mean he wasn't German. He had German citizenship and fought for Germany in the war by draft - a draft which took German citizens into the army on account of them being German, ie the government at the time considered him German.

So Hitler's nationality was Austrian, his citizenship was German. He will never stop being Austrian but he will never stop being a German citizen and therefore by every common use definition German also. He was an immigrant ie he was not born German but that doesn't make him not German if Germany says he's German.

Now I've written the names of both countries so many times they don't look like words any more

Haha although is genealogical lineage more important than geographical and legal standing? As someone with Italian lineage (and very far back Germanic/Scandanavian) but born in the UK how many of those do I have rights to claim I'm a part of?

No real point to this conjecture, its just the philosophy of how people define themselves
Interesting undertones from people who believe that if you're born in X country, no matter what else you do and where you can never belong to or identify with any another country.
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
Haha although is genealogical lineage more important than geographical and legal standing? As someone with Italian lineage (and very far back Germanic/Scandanavian) but born in the UK how many of those do I have rights to claim I'm a part of?

No real point to this conjecture, its just the philosophy of how people define themselves

I suppose it's down to whether or not you've retained any of your ancestral land's cultural traits and/or language that would distinguish you from other Brits or not, it's not for me to tell anyone else how to feel in that regard though. You could just have a soft spot for a place without any real cultural connection. There's been so many mass migrations along with raping and pillaging in Europe's past that I think anyone identifying themselves with anywhere(including their place of birth) based purely on genealogy is on a fool's errand. I'm interested in getting a DNA test in the future though purely out of curiosity.

It makes for comedy gold in extreme circumstances as well. :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLoel5EKT34

It makes for comedy gold in extreme circumstances as well. :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLoel5EKT34

Well I associate quite closely with my Italian heritage (not that you needed to know that or cared :tongue:)

I don't much like TYT but I can't deny that's damn hilarious. Technically all humans are 'part black' anyway as the first humans came from Africa so racial supremacists on either side are total morons. Geographical difference yes, but colour is irrelevant when we all came from the same source - I can't believe that isn't a 'gotcha' against people like him
Interesting German history...
I'm Austrian and I have to say Hitler was not Austrian. He has Austrian blood but he changed his Nationality to German because he lived in Germany for long. If he was Austrian he could not have been Chancellor for Germany. Also, he fought for the German Army not for the Austrian.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending