The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Mathematics C34- 17th January, 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hamzah249
I didn't have time to calculate exact time with pm, but time was 22.5 hours

EDIT: that question was confusing, what was your lambda?
Reply 21
EDIT: that question was confusing, what was your lambda?

Whaat? I got 6.4 hours :s-smilie: I can't remember what Ii got for lambda tho
Original post by wenogk
Whaat? I got 6.4 hours :s-smilie: I can't remember what Ii got for lambda tho

8/15?
Reply 23
8/15?

I didn't get that :K: Do you remember the question so we can re-do it?
Original post by wenogk
I didn't get that :K: Do you remember the question so we can re-do it?

Yes.

First part stated at time 4 pm there was no ice.
At time 6pm there was 1.5mm of ice (x). Rate of increase of the thickness of ice was constant, meaning dx/dt = k.

Find t in terms of x.
I got t=4x/3

part b was dx/dt = Lambda/(2x+1)

i) find t in terms of x and lambda
ii) calculate lambda
iii)calculate t when x=3.

As far as I can recall this was the whole question
Reply 25
Were there any new ideas introduced? Or was it the same as all the previous years?
Reply 26
Yes.

First part stated at time 4 pm there was no ice.
At time 6pm there was 1.5mm of ice (x). Rate of increase of the thickness of ice was constant, meaning dx/dt = k.

Find t in terms of x.
I got t=4x/3

part b was dx/dt = Lambda/(2x+1)

i) find t in terms of x and lambda
ii) calculate lambda
iii)calculate t when x=3.

As far as I can recall this was the whole question

Wow you have a very good memory. I got 15/8 as lambda...

integration is:
x^2 + x = (lambda)*t +C
C is zero after subbing in t=0 and x=0 (at time 4pm)
then, lambda= (x^2 + x)/t and subbing in t=2 and x=1.5 (at time 6pm) we get lambda as 15/8
then, t=(x^2 + x)/(15/8)
subbing in x=3, t=(9+3)/(15/8)=6.4 hours
which is equivalent to 6 hours and 24 minutes hence the time would be 10:24pm.... I guess this is correct
Original post by Fadel
Were there any new ideas introduced? Or was it the same as all the previous years?

None at all, infact you know how every paper has this 1 tricky question you tend to lose significant marks on? This one had no tricky question pretty basic paper over all imo.
I'm going to do the Exam in June.

Any tips for me? :colondollar:
Original post by wenogk

integration is:
x^2 + x = (lambda)*t +C
then, lambda= (x^2 + x)/t and subbing in t=2 and x=1.5 (at time 6pm) we get lambda as 15/8
then, t=(x^2 + x)/(15/8)
which is equivalent to 6 hours and 24 minutes hence the time would be 10:24pm.... I guess this is correct

Yeah I guess you are right, I couldn't figure out this question till the very end because part b specifically stated a "Second model" has equation etc etc so I tried to work on it with only what was given in part b.
Tried to rush through the question and I guess I got wrong lambda :/
Original post by wenogk

integration is:
x^2 + x = (lambda)*t +C
then, t=(x^2 + x)/(15/8)

What was your area of parallelogram? I got 36(underroot2)
Reply 31
Yeah I guess you are right, I couldn't figure out this question till the very end because part b specifically stated a "Second model" has equation etc etc so I tried to work on it with only what was given in part b.
Tried to rush through the question and I guess I got wrong lambda :/

Ok ok dw im sure you did the other questions well, I actually didnt see the 14th question so I was doing the 13th question slowly and casually and I just flipped the page and when I saw it lmao :bricks: I managed to do all the parts in time except for the last two mark one(my brain wasn't functioning).
Reply 32
What was your area of parallelogram? I got 36(underroot2)

I can't remember I didn't know what to do so I found the shortest perpendicular distance from point A to the line CD and multiplied by CD legnth
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by wenogk
Ok ok dw im sure you did the other questions well, I actually didnt see the 14th question so I was doing the 13th question slowly and casually and I just flipped the page and when I saw it lmao :bricks: I managed to do all the parts in time except for the last two mark one(my brain wasn't functioning).

That parts we missed were actually only worth 3-2 marks so I think it's fine there. But there's a possibility grade boundaries will be really high.
Original post by thebrahmabull
I had it in the bag, only after I got out of the exam hall with a smiling face thinking I am getting an a* that I realised I didn't see any vectors question, which was weird. And then a stranger told me vectors came, it was the last one. No. 14. No.14????? There was a no. 14???? Fml

Holy crap that sucks. Every C4 or C34 paper has a vector question.
Original post by wenogk
I can't remember I didn't know what to do so I found the shortest perpendicular distance from point A to the line CD and multiplied by CD legnth

What was your time in logarithm question. N=300/3+(17e^-0.2t)

I got 4.32
Original post by thebrahmabull
I had it in the bag, only after I got out of the exam hall with a smiling face thinking I am getting an a* that I realised I didn't see any vectors question, which was weird. And then a stranger told me vectors came, it was the last one. No. 14. No.14????? There was a no. 14???? Fml

That's a nightmare.
Reply 37
Does anyone remember how much marks that time question you were discussing had?
Original post by wenogk

integration is:
x^2 + x = (lambda)*t +C
then, t=(x^2 + x)/(15/8)

I got the same answer, 6.4 hours. Though my method was a bit different, I substituted in t=2 and x=1.5 instead of x=0 when t=0. Can't remember my lambda value.
Original post by Fasih178
I got the same answer, 6.4 hours. Though my method was a bit different, I substituted in t=2 and x=1.5 instead of x=0 when t=0. Can't remember my lambda value.

If you did definite integral I suppose you'll get full marks since the question was like 2 marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending