The Student Room Group

Hard brexit here we come!

http://www.lbc.co.uk/news/uk/mays-12-point-plan-for-clean-break-from-eu/

We can safely assume we are leaving the single market and probably the customs union too becoming a more 'global Britain'. As a Remain voter I'm actually quite optimistic and glad that brexit will be really put on test and we will ultimately find out 'the truth' .

(I had to laugh about Mays claim brexit will make the UK fairer whilst turning the UK into an even bigger international tax haven ...🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

I'm also glad that Theresa has utterly ignored the moronic cretins if the ukip ill that thinks the uk should become an anti EU liberation front and that the success of our EU friends is vital to continued peace and prosperity.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

*Brexshit
absolutely based

Reply 3
Quotation marks added for clarity. :wink:

We're going to end up paying some sort of continued membership fee I can imagine.
Oh my, you lot will suffer so baaaaad... tax haven? More like banana republic.
Reply 5
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Oh my, you lot will suffer so baaaaad... tax haven? More like banana republic.

Maybe, maybe not.

But at least we won't have to carry countries like Greece. Enjoy that.
Original post by Drewski
Maybe, maybe not.

Oh, do I see a softening in your stance there? Weren't you super convinced until a few months ago that Brexit was the best thing that ever happened to your country? Reality setting in?

Original post by Drewski

You know, we don't mind. Because we are Europeans, members of the same community, and help our brothers out. If I were paying taxes in Germany I wouldn't mind some of my tax Euros going to poorer nations. And that's the difference between us and you lot - empathy, solidarity, good-will, you lack all of those things. And that's why it's good you're out and will suffer badly.
Reply 7
Original post by Drewski
Maybe, maybe not.

True. But we'll have to pay a lot more money to the areas given to EU subsidy (e.g. The North, farmers) . (Or not but that would be dangerous)
Reply 8
Weren't you super convinced until a few months ago that Brexit was the best thing that ever happened to your country?

Nope.
Neither guaranteed good nor guaranteed bad, just keeping an open mind about it.

You know, we don't mind.

No. You don't mind. And neither do some of the other people in the country. But some do. Ignoring their point of view isn't very friendly.

And I do love the irony in your post. Unintended as it was. It's cute that you're so rattled by us. Clearly, if we're as insignificant as you say then you wouldn't be making half the fuss you are. You're adorable :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Very happy with the announcement that we will be leaving the single market.
Im glad that we will be stopping large amounts of money given to EU and instead spending on our own priorities. I believe that NHS and other UK services shall recover as a result. Very happy indeed.
Original post by Drewski
Nope.
Neither guaranteed good nor guaranteed bad, just keeping an open mind about it.

Not the impression I got.

Original post by Drewski
No. You don't mind. And neither do some of the other people in the country. But some do. Ignoring their point of view isn't very friendly.

Ever heard of the term majority? If the polls are anything to go by, a vast majority of Germans would still vote for Merkel's party, its coalition partner (social democrats), or any other center-left parties that support EU membership and bailing out fellow EU states that are in dire need of help (with stringent austerity measures following, of course). So yeah, 'ignoring' the point of the extremists (which are thankfully a small minority, unlike in Britain) is very much the way to go forward.

Original post by Drewski
And I do love the irony in your post. Unintended as it was. It's cute that you're so rattled by us. Clearly, if were as insignificant as you think then you wouldn't be making half the fuss you are.

No irony there, you just -as usual- don't get it. Yes, Britain is insignificant on a global scale. Politically, economically, population size wise. The EU doesn't really need you lot.
What bugs me (and many other Europeans, and thankfully also our guys in Brussels) is that you have committed treason against the European idea and have the cheek to try and mix-and-match your privileges. That is why I follow the negotiations very closely, and enjoy it very much to see how it slowly sinks in what a monumental mistake this was for Britain.
Well yeh. Global Britain or continental Britain. Being in the EU makes us continental, leaving could make us global.

I don't understand why so many remain voters seem to make this simple geographical confusion, its really quite simple.
Lmfao. I want an apology from the idiots who voted leave that berated me when I suggested this would happen
Not the impression I got.
Not my fault you can't read properly.

Ever heard of the term majority? If the polls are anything to go by, a vast majority of Germans would still vote for Merkel's party, its coalition partner (social democrats), or any other center-left parties that support EU membership and bailing out fellow EU states that are in dire need of help (with stringent austerity measures following, of course). So yeah, 'ignoring' the point of the extremists (which are thankfully a small minority, unlike in Britain) is very much the way to go forward.
Yes, a majority. Though a decreasing one. And one that's increasing in numerous other European countries. You can pretend that doesn't exist if you want, but that's going to lead to other problems in the future.

No irony there, you just -as usual- don't get it. Yes, Britain is insignificant on a global scale. Politically, economically, population size wise. The EU doesn't really need you lot.
What bugs me (and many other Europeans, and thankfully also our guys in Brussels) is that you have committed treason against the European idea and have the cheek to try and mix-and-match your privileges. That is why I follow the negotiations very closely, and enjoy it very much to see how it slowly sinks in what a monumental mistake this was for Britain.

Treason? :rolleyes: have you heard yourself? Even the most pro-EU UK citizens (and there are plenty, do you hate them as well?) wouldn't call the EU something that can have treason committed against.

And did we try that, or did some people say it would be nice if we could have certain things? The speech this morning makes it clear that we a-know we can't have those bits and b-aren't asking for them.

I get you get off on Brit-bashing, trolling, baiting, general Anglophobia, but your obsession with us is still cute, considering our irrelevance...
Reply 14
Britain was in a bad way when it joined the Common Market in 1972, low productivity, lack of investment in infrastructure, labour disputes and rising inflation.

The problem is after all these years, Britain hasn't changed that much. We still have low productivity, lack of investment in infrastructure and rising inflation.

Being in the EU has bought a lot of foreign investment and helped to plug the gaps left by failing industries. With limited access to EU markets, it seems foreign investment will dry up
Reply 15
Original post by aeroline1999
Well yeh. Global Britain or continental Britain. Being in the EU makes us continental, leaving could make us global.

I don't understand why so many remain voters seem to make this simple geographical confusion, its really quite simple.

Leaving the earth would make us interplanetary.
Original post by Drewski
Treason? :rolleyes: have you heard yourself? Even the most pro-EU UK citizens (and there are plenty, do you hate them as well?) wouldn't call the EU something that can have treason committed against.

I don't hate anyone. I don't hate anti-EU UK citizens. They're just idiots and will now pay the bill for their blind nationalism.

You cannot commit treason against the EU, but surely against the European idea, a highly valued concept in continental Europe. If pro-EU UK citizens don't feel the same way (how would you know anyway?) it just shows how shallowly anchored the European idea has been and is in the UK.

Original post by Drewski
And did we try that, or did some people say it would be nice if we could have certain things? The speech this morning makes it clear that we a-know we can't have those bits and b-aren't asking for them.

Oh, you very much tried that, but thank goodness Brussels wasn't having any of that and threw it back in your face. The speech today just showed that you have no way out anymore but the painful path of a hard exit. It's basically admitting that nothing worked out the way you planned. It was a walk of shame for wannabe dominatrix May.

Original post by Drewski
I get you get off on Brit-bashing, trolling, baiting, general Anglophobia, but your obsession with us is still cute, considering our irrelevance...

You flatter yourself (something you lot like to do) if you call my casual glee an 'obsession'. I think you have much bigger things to worry about now.
The UK will not become Zimbabwe.
Original post by shawn_o1
The UK will not become Zimbabwe.

5 years ago the phrase "Trump will be president" was equally ridiculous.
Reply 19
As a proud nationalist, I welcome the hard Brexit. I value diversity, which the EU project has been destroying since its inception. I hope the other European countries stand up for themselves as we have and put the final nail in the EU coffin. Globalism is truly failing.

Quick Reply

Latest