The Student Room Group

Friend asking me for money ?

I have a friend of mine who is asking me for money, and for some reason I feel upset, because we were good friends a couple years ago at college. But then I went to uni and he started working we didnt drift apart as such and still kept in contact.

But since I started working we still spoke but not as much, in the last couple of months we hadnt spoke much. Now he's rang and asked me for money. Im a little uncomfortable about this because, we havent spoken in a few month, I did text him but I think he was busy. He already fell out with someone about a year ago over him giving money and not geting it back.

A line comes to my head when an older person (35 years) said when we were 20, where are our friend from then, they would ring us if they needed money.

Not only that, what get me is like I said he hasnt really asked how ive been in the last couple of months and now wants money. If I didnt give realistically a true friend wouldnt care about the money.

What do you think ?
How much money are we talking?
I'm confused about this line here

A line comes to my head when an older person (35 years) said when we were 20, where are our friend from then, they would ring us if they needed money.

who is the one who would ring you? Is it your current mate that is asking for money now?
Reply 3
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
I'm confused about this line here

who is the one who would ring you? Is it your current mate that is asking for money now?

No that paragraph is just someone else giving me an exmaple.
Reply 4
Original post by CarysJSLewis
How much money are we talking?

£200. Its not the amount. Its just being screwed over for £200. Also the fact we havent spoken much
Original post by redleader1
£200

Tell the guy no. If it was under £50 then that might be acceptable, but this guy doesn't deserve £200 of your hard earned cash when he's made no effort to talk to you.
Whats the money even for
Reply 6
Tell the guy no. If it was under £50 then that might be acceptable, but this guy doesn't deserve £200 of your hard earned cash when he's made no effort to talk to you.
Whats the money even for

Yeah thats what I was thinking. £50 thats nothing but still, money creates problems. If I gave it I would have to wait for a come back which is something I dont want to do. Ive seen so many friendships ruined over money.

He said something like, his payroll department at work didnt pay him last month.
Yeah thats what I was thinking. £50 thats nothing but still, money creates problems. If I gave it I would have to wait for a come back which is something I dont want to do. Ive seen so many friendships ruined over money.

He said something like, his payroll department at work didnt pay him last month.

He's not your responsibility just because you used to be friends. He's not entitled to anything. Tell him to take a walk.
Reply 8
He's not your responsibility just because you used to be friends. He's not entitled to anything. Tell him to take a walk.

We still are friend which is why its a bit difficult but we havent spoke much, just here and there. But I dont want to sound rude when I say no because the friendship was good before, we went through a lot.
It's up to you who you do or don't lend money to. I would lend any of close friends whatever amount they needed if they asked for it, but I wouldn't lend someone £200 without an extremely good reason to if we were not close friends/family.

If you don't trust him, don't do it. It's not worth it.
Reply 10
Would you be upset if he didn't give you the £200 back? If the answer is yes, don't lend him the money.
Original post by ByronicHero
It's up to you who you do or don't lend money to. I would lend any of close friends whatever amount they needed if they asked for it, but I wouldn't lend someone £200 without an extremely good reason to if we were not close friends/family.

If you don't trust him, don't do it. It's not worth it.

Same here mate, to any of the close friends I would. However its just he rang me out of the blue which is a little selfish. I doubt id give it. I dont want the hassle.
Stop being stingy and write the guy a cheque!
Original post by Tubbz
Would you be upset if he didn't give you the £200 back? If the answer is yes, don't lend him the money.

this ^^^

never lend money you're not happy to not get back

to me £200 would only be something I'd lend to reliable family/very close friend/partner
Original post by doodle_333
this ^^^

never lend money you're not happy to not get back

to me £200 would only be something I'd lend to reliable family/very close friend/partner

It's alright we've sorted it. I didn't give it. Anyways thanks for your replies guys:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's alright we've sorted it. I didn't give it. Anyways thanks for your replies guys:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The right decision.

Also he is out of order for putting you in that situation in the first place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending