The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I guess another question is, should we deport all of the people who have come in by taking advantage of mass immigration?
(edited 7 years ago)
Sounds like Britain is going to become a safe space for Brits who lack the ability to compete in the job market with those who don't speak English as a first language.
Original post by Quantex
Sounds like Britain is going to become a safe space for Brits who lack the ability to compete in the job market with those who don't speak English as a first language.

Poor butthurt lefty xD Sorry but you can't damage us anymore.
Original post by Quantex

You don't need to speak English to do the back breaking job of picking strawberries in the pouring rain in Lincolnshire..

You just need to be prepared to work for starvation wages because you come from a poverty stricken hell hole.

I will never get how the lunatic left aren't outraged by all of this. But I do understand why no-one listens to them on the subject of uncontrolled immigration any more.
Original post by Quantex

... but make up for that by being prepared to work for what are low wages in Britain, but significantly higher wages than they could earn in their own country, to which they will almost certainly return at some point. They are working under a different employment paradigm, and failure to recognise (not criticise, but recognise) that just shows you don't really understand the situation.
Reply 6
Considering I'm certain a few months ago she said we wouldn't have a points system, I find this very interesting.

Anyway this is wonderful news! We can finally give the way for restricted immigration, which will finally give us the chance to show that in spite of all of the far-rights whining and innecessant moaning, immigration was not the cause of all social and economic problems. Hopefully we can use this as a fantastic chance to show that blatant indescrete xenophobia never solves anything huh! :smile:

Score for 1 the 65 year old white male.
Original post by Quantex

the market for acrylic cardigans will explode
Original post by Quantex

1.62m people is the surplus according to the ONS not including those 'economically inactive' ie housewives/househusbands and those not seeking work (ie those who would skew the statistic as they dont want/need a job). Most people need 2 jobs per household to get by and adding people to the system has driven down wages and worker importance. Compare the prevalence of zero hour contracts, minimum wage work per 1000 to say the 1980s and you'll see a higher percentage of people these days have to do hard work for no money with the overhanging issue they can be sacked on a whim or pressured to leave by being given no hours because there are hundreds of people queuing up to take their job as soon as they're sacked.

Perhaps supporting those who are getting screwed by the system, considering Britain has enormous poverty issues. For example food poverty "in 2012-13, the Trussell Trust foodbank network, an Oxfam partner, provided over 350,000 people in the UK with food parcels - more than double the year before" http://policy-practice.oxfam.org.uk/our-work/inequality/food-poverty "More than 8 million in UK struggle to put food on table, survey says .... Almost 2 million more children than now will be in poverty in 15 years' time, says thinktank" https://www.theguardian.com/society/food-poverty. Fuel poverty "In 2013, the number of fuel poor households in the UK was estimated at around 4.5 million representing 17 per cent of all UK households" https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/fuel-poverty-statistics etc.

Loads who are struggling and this 'I'm alright, Jack' attitude makes such problems worse.

Finally why shouldn't Britain support the British? I don't mean white, I mean British citizens be they Polish, Bangladeshi, Iranian, Afghans, whatever - if the nation state has purpose surely that's to look after its own before the entirety of the rest of the world.
Reply 9
Original post by FolloUrDreams

Is this your way of avoiding genuine debate because you cannot make a sensible point?
Good
Original post by the bear
the market for acrylic cardigans will explode

But the markets for polyester tracksuits, weightlifting gloves, paint splatter ripped jeans and platinum blonde nice n easy will go through the floor.
Original post by GonvilleBromhead

Finally why shouldn't Britain support the British? I don't mean white, I mean British citizens be they Polish, Bangladeshi, Iranian, Afghans, whatever - if the nation state has purpose surely that's to look after its own before the entirety of the rest of the world.

I'm really glad you didn't derail your whole argument by starting to talk about the endangerment of the the 'white man'. That seems to be a favourite on this website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I guess another question is, should we deport all of the people who have come in by taking advantage of mass immigration?

Who would those people be?

Anyone who hasnt got a job?
Anyone not fron the UK?
How many years would you go back? 10, 20, 30, 50, 100 years?
What about the ones who have a right to remain?
Original post by Mathemagicien
> Says xenophobia is bad

> Makes ageist, sexist and racist statements

I'm not sure how celebrating the persistent achievements of 65 year old white men is sexist/racist/ageist but sure thing! :smile:
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
1.62m people is the surplus according to the ONS not including those 'economically inactive' ie housewives/househusbands and those not seeking work (ie those who would skew the statistic as they dont want/need a job). Most people need 2 jobs per household to get by and adding people to the system has driven down wages and worker importance. Compare the prevalence of zero hour contracts, minimum wage work per 1000 to say the 1980s and you'll see a higher percentage of people these days have to do hard work for no money with the overhanging issue they can be sacked on a whim or pressured to leave by being given no hours because there are hundreds of people queuing up to take their job as soon as they're sacked.

Perhaps supporting those who are getting screwed by the system, considering Britain has enormous poverty issues. For example food poverty "in 2012-13, the Trussell Trust foodbank network, an Oxfam partner, provided over 350,000 people in the UK with food parcels - more than double the year before" http://policy-practice.oxfam.org.uk/our-work/inequality/food-poverty "More than 8 million in UK struggle to put food on table, survey says .... Almost 2 million more children than now will be in poverty in 15 years' time, says thinktank" https://www.theguardian.com/society/food-poverty. Fuel poverty "In 2013, the number of fuel poor households in the UK was estimated at around 4.5 million representing 17 per cent of all UK households" https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/fuel-poverty-statistics etc.

Loads who are struggling and this 'I'm alright, Jack' attitude makes such problems worse.

Intelligent response

Unintelligent response
Original post by Mathemagicien
In none of your 100-ish words did you celebrate the achievements of non-whites, who constitute around 15% of the population.

In none of your 100-ish words did you celebrate the achievements of non-males, who constitute over 50% of the population.

Reported for discrimination.

Damnit.

You caught me :/

Is this better:

Score 1 for the whites & non-whites, the males & non-males, the straights & non-straights, the 65+ and the under 65 year olds who voted Brexit.
Original post by Quantex

Fewer job seekers, but I suspect fewer jobs too. The UK has benefited from immigration over decades. There have been notable failures to integrate with UK society, but, overall, immigration has done the UK a lot of good IMO.

We'll see how the economy reacts.
Original post by Quantex

You mean who lack the ability to compete in the job market with people who are willing to work long hours for starvation wages and willing to have a low standard of living?
Original post by Trinculo
But the markets for polyester tracksuits, weightlifting gloves, paint splatter ripped jeans and platinum blonde nice n easy will go through the floor.
don't forget the studded dog collars...

Latest

Trending

Trending