The Student Room Group

Would I still be considered for an apprenticeship if I have a degree already

Long story short, I am in third year and nearly done with it. I heard having a degree actually does more harm than good if you are thinking of doing an apprenticeship in a whole diff area.

Is this true or should I finish my degree instead of dropping out now.
Reply 1
You would not be eligible for degree level apprenticeships, but you may still be considered for advanced level apprenticeships.

If you go to bigger companies, often they're willing to look beyond the degree to someone who is interested.
Original post by Tubbz
You would not be eligible for degree level apprenticeships, but you may still be considered for advanced level apprenticeships.

If you go to bigger companies, often they're willing to look beyond the degree to someone who is interested.

What's an advanced level apprenticeship equivalent to...Level 4?

So do you think it's worth finishing off my degree or best to ditch it in case it's a deterrent for other jobs
Reply 3
Original post by The Giddy Goblin
What's an advanced level apprenticeship equivalent to...Level 4?

So do you think it's worth finishing off my degree or best to ditch it in case it's a deterrent for other jobs

Erm, A-Levels, so Level 3?

No point ditching the degree now. You'll be able to apply for graduate jobs in most areas, besides, finishing 2nd year of uni will make you over qualified for most higher/degree apprenticeships
Original post by Tubbz
Erm, A-Levels, so Level 3?

No point ditching the degree now. You'll be able to apply for graduate jobs in most areas, besides, finishing 2nd year of uni will make you over qualified for most higher/degree apprenticeships

I didn't realise I'd be considered for jobs that have nothing to do with my degree. I've always assumed employers would then their noses up at that. Thanks mate
Reply 5
I didn't realise I'd be considered for jobs that have nothing to do with my degree. I've always assumed employers would then their noses up at that. Thanks mate

Yeah, things like banking grad schemes just want to know you have a 2:1 a lot of the time.
Engineering tends to want you to have a relevant degree.

Apprenticeships are a good way in, but not if you're that far in to a degree.

The vast majority of graduate jobs don't require a specific degree, employers are looking for people with the right skills and some work experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending