The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JohnGreek
It should be means tested - i.e. they offer an incrementally lower amount of payment depending on how high your parental income is. This balances out the costs for businesses with access for less fortunate individuals.

In many ways, it's a good idea but this might give companies more of an incentive to hire people with higher parental income since it would cost them less money to hire.

Original post by dragonkeeper999

Regarding the whole volunteering vs interning debate, I think that if a company is for-profit, you're an intern, but not-for-profits and charities should have permission to take on unpaid volunteers (who are doing the job out of commitment to a cause, rather than seeking experience as such). That being said, I would expect even unpaid volunteers to be given a small amount towards essentials like transport costs - bus and train fares are going through the roof...

This all being said, for short-term work experience placements (say, two weeks or shorter - where the student is mostly job shadowing etc. rather than really contributing) then I can understand a company not really needing to pay.

I can understand non-profit organisations offering unpaid internships to a certain extent. The same goes for short-term placements but I think that if possible, there should be certain benefits offered such as transport/food allowances.

Original post by tazarooni89
Instinctively I'm not in favour of this ban.

As a general rule I think that when it comes to a trade or agreement between two parties, they should both negotiate an agreement that works for them, rather than there being outside intervention. If I genuinely want to become a slave, even if it's an unusual thing to desire, that's up to me. We don't need laws purely to protect ourselves from our own informed choices.

In the case of internships, sometimes I think it makes perfect sense for them to be unpaid, particularly if the intern is not generating any revenue for the company but if they're just there to learn. That said, it may be in a company's own interests to make it a paid internship anyway in order to encourage applicants from poorer backgrounds who can't necessarily afford the time to do an unpaid internship alongside whatever they might need to do for money, thereby unlocking a larger pool of talent for recruitment opportunities.

But I think it should be left to individuals and companies to decide what is appropriate for them.

I know where you're getting at. It should be heavily dependent on the role and the sentiments of the company and applicant but I'm in favour of there being 'rough guidelines' that companies must adhere to. With this in place, the organisation of each individual internship can then be fleshed out more with negotiations between the two parties.
But with this, less internships would be offered. Because it's unpaid, companies are usually opened to accepting students and graduates to gain experience. They already have employees to pay so adding students/graduates who are on placements to the list would most likely change the dynamics. Even if those doing internships are paid less than the employees, there's still money being given to more hands. I think it's a good and bad thing- good and bad in the sense that we would be earning some cash but bad in the sense that we may have limited options if other companies stop offering internships.
(edited 7 years ago)
No, because if someone doesn't want to work for free then they can choose to not do the internship. If they feel that the benefits of doing the internship outweigh the effort they need to put in, then they would choose to do it.
I did unpaid internships and it helped my CV, I dont think all firms would offer em if they had to be paid TBH
Reply 24
It's a terrible decision. It was done in France a few years ago and now it is very hard to find internships and prove your worth. Compagnies rely even more on networking to hire young people. They should have only limited the length of such internships.
Instinctively I'm not in favour of this ban.

As a general rule I think that when it comes to a trade or agreement between two parties, they should both negotiate an agreement that works for them, rather than there being outside intervention.

That assumes they have equal bargaining power, which they clearly do not.
Original post by Josb
It's a terrible decision. It was done in France a few years ago and now it is very hard to find internships and prove your worth. Compagnies rely even more on networking to hire young people. They should have only limited the length of such internships.

And big companies would be bankrupt if they paid interns a minimum wage for a couple of months? Do me a favour.
Original post by Bornblue
That assumes they have equal bargaining power, which they clearly do not.

I don't assume they have equal bargaining power - I believe the deal they manage to reach should be dependent on whatever unequal bargaining power they might each have.
Reply 28
And big companies would be bankrupt if they paid interns a minimum wage for a couple of months? Do me a favour.

Big compagnies can pay their interns, yes. Not all the others. You can also do internships in museums, libraries, etc. It was a way (generally one of the very few) for students in the humanities to beef up their CV...
Original post by Josb
Big compagnies can pay their interns, yes. Not all the others. You can also do internships in museums, libraries, etc. It was a way (generally one of the very few) for students in the humanities to beef up their CV...

I don't support the ban as such largely out of principle, but I do feel that there has been a trend in recent years to undo the positive gains won by the Blairite left by opening up these loopholes which allow companies to circumnavigate laws pertaining to worker's rights. If you're from a well educated, professional background, you'll know whether the unpaid internship is worth it, complete the placement whilst being supported by your parents and move on because the best way to define the upper class is the ability to do things without scrabbling around for money.

On the other hand, students who lack the same social capital will either be exploited in positions which add nothing of value to them as people or will have to take on low value paid work in lieu of completing a valuable unpaid internship.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb

Oh come on, minimum wage for two months for one or two interns will bankrupt a museum?

Unpaid internships by definition favour those from wealthy backgrounds who can afford to pay them.
Reply 31
Oh come on, minimum wage for two months for one or two interns will bankrupt a museum?

Unpaid internships by definition favour those from wealthy backgrounds who can afford to pay them.

No, but instead of taking 20 interns, they'll take only 2 or 3, with a preference for Oxbridge&co students, whilst they could be less picky when they were unpaid.
Reply 32
Original post by l'etranger

On the other hand, students who lack the same social capital will either be exploited in positions which add nothing of value to them as people or will have to take on low value paid work in lieu of completing a valuable unpaid internship.

This is why I said that internships should be limited to 2 or 3 months.
Original post by Josb
This is why I said that internships should be limited to 2 or 3 months.

That doesn't address the problem.
Original post by Josb
No, but instead of taking 20 interns, they'll take only 2 or 3, with a preference for Oxbridge&co students, whilst they could be less picky when they were unpaid.

Do they take on that many though?

Personally a better idea would be for the government to offer incentives for companies to take on lots of paid interns, possibly in the form of a slight tax discount.
Original post by l'etranger
I don't support the ban as such largely out of principle, but I do feel that there has been a trend in recent years to undo the positive gains won by the Blairite left by opening up these loopholes which allow companies to circumnavigate laws pertaining to worker's rights. If you're from a well educated, professional background, you'll know whether the unpaid internship is worth it, complete the placement whilst being supported by your parents and move on because the best way to define the upper class is the ability to do things without scrabbling around for money.

You are my favourite right leaning poster on here.

I'm gonna take the compliment. :cool:

Right leaning? :hmmm:
Reply 38
Do they take on that many though?

Personally a better idea would be for the government to offer incentives for companies to take on lots of paid interns, possibly in the form of a slight tax discount.

Big museums, yes.

I think that not-for-profit institutions shouldn't have to pay for interns, and that internships should have the same incentives as apprenticeships.
I don't assume they have equal bargaining power - I believe the deal they manage to reach should be dependent on whatever unequal bargaining power they might each have.

That sort of logic is what leads to children in Nike Factories working for about 2p an hour.

Latest

Trending

Trending