The Student Room Group

SWEAT

Hi all... I'm a 20 year old student. I've always been a big sweater. Since I can remember I've sweat a lot in general. Armpits, back, face... you name it I've got it.

However, in recent years I've began sweating a lot on my back. It seems pretty much any situation can set my back sweat off. It happens during exercise obviously, but also happens when I'm just standing talking to people in completely normal circumstances. For example... I can be standing chatting to a friend/stranger in the kitchen at my university halls and my back will be sweating, literally beads of sweat trickling down my back. It's worse in heated/socially intense situations, but even when I'm fairly relaxed it can still happen.

I've tried all the anti-perspirants, from the least extreme to the most extreme. 'Driclor' was the most effective, as it does actually stop sweating. However it's extremely strong and so it's quite uncomfortable and itches a lot so I opted out of that.

I've also tried just ignoring it. But it's almost impossible to do when I get the beads of sweat that trickle down. It's like someone stroking a feather down your back.

I've recently started wearing vests, which I've found to be the biggest success. As long as the vest is fairly skin tight it absorbs the sweat, which although doesn't stop the problem it prevents the trickling sensation down my back which can be really distracting and annoying (especially if I'm just standing there talking to someone).

So the problem is not as bad as it used to be, thanks to the vests, but I've still got an area between my shoulder blades and middle back (where the vest isn't tight) that from time to time can still generate a small trickle of sweat that runs down my back.

It's this trickling of sweat I get down the middle area of my back that I'm looking to stop.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If anyone can help me sort this issue I'll be forever in your debt...

help me:frown:
Cut the skin off of your back.
Reply 2
Original post by P-James
Hi all... I'm a 20 year old student. I've always been a big sweater. Since I can remember I've sweat a lot in general. Armpits, back, face... you name it I've got it.

However, in recent years I've began sweating a lot on my back. It seems pretty much any situation can set my back sweat off. It happens during exercise obviously, but also happens when I'm just standing talking to people in completely normal circumstances. For example... I can be standing chatting to a friend/stranger in the kitchen at my university halls and my back will be sweating, literally beads of sweat trickling down my back. It's worse in heated/socially intense situations, but even when I'm fairly relaxed it can still happen.

I've tried all the anti-perspirants, from the least extreme to the most extreme. 'Driclor' was the most effective, as it does actually stop sweating. However it's extremely strong and so it's quite uncomfortable and itches a lot so I opted out of that.

I've also tried just ignoring it. But it's almost impossible to do when I get the beads of sweat that trickle down. It's like someone stroking a feather down your back.

I've recently started wearing vests, which I've found to be the biggest success. As long as the vest is fairly skin tight it absorbs the sweat, which although doesn't stop the problem it prevents the trickling sensation down my back which can be really distracting and annoying (especially if I'm just standing there talking to someone).

So the problem is not as bad as it used to be, thanks to the vests, but I've still got an area between my shoulder blades and middle back (where the vest isn't tight) that from time to time can still generate a small trickle of sweat that runs down my back.

It's this trickling of sweat I get down the middle area of my back that I'm looking to stop.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If anyone can help me sort this issue I'll be forever in your debt...

help me:frown:

See your doctor. There are stronger antiperspirants they can suggest. There are some you can get over the counter, but i'm not sure you're meant to use them for a larger area like the back. Don't delay seeing them cos you're not sure it's a legit problem or anything. It's worth seeing somebody for- you will be glad you did.
I suffer from excessive sweating which isn't helped by the fact that I can't change from a hot to cold or vice versa environment without sweating. I bought a product from a pharmacy called Odaban Antiperspirant Spray (you can get it from amazon too I believe). It worked wonders and I've only used it over the course of a week (one application before bed) and it's lasting for me to this day (used in November 2016).

BE CAREFUL with it though, make sure you apply it ideally only after a shower, MAKE SURE YOU ARE AS DRY AS A DESERT OTHERWISE IT WILL HURT LIKE ****. But worth it!
Reply 4
Original post by Kindred
See your doctor. There are stronger antiperspirants they can suggest. There are some you can get over the counter, but i'm not sure you're meant to use them for a larger area like the back. Don't delay seeing them cos you're not sure it's a legit problem or anything. It's worth seeing somebody for- you will be glad you did.

Yeah good point. I'm going to. Just seems like such a niche problem that there's not really any help available...
Reply 5
Original post by P-James
Yeah good point. I'm going to. Just seems like such a niche problem that there's not really any help available...

It's probably more common than you think. I'm sure the pharmacist can suggest something, but if not your gp definitely can. I know one or two people with similar issues and they've been able to get it sorted at pharmacy or gp. I think it's one of those things nobody talks about so nobody really knows what the situation is. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest