Barts and the London- 2017 Entry Applicants for Medicine

Scroll to see replies

Just got a rejection on UCAS track for A100

my stats were:
predicted grades A*AA +a
grade 8 piano merit
ucas tariff 196 points

Uckat score 2270 (757 average)

Good luck to everyone who got an interview!
Original post by ArtScience
I have only applied to Barts and KCL. Rejected from Barts and waiting for KCL. Already gearing up for a KCL rejection.

For Med you could be the perfect candidate but it's still a lottery due to the fact it is ridiculously oversubscribed. If things don't go your way, take a year out and re-apply next year. I did and I've loved it.
Reply 962
Original post by AspireExcite
Yeah, I've read through and knew I wouldn't have a chance so I'm not complaining, but I agree with you that they are shady. Grads with 2.1 have no chance, they favour grads with 1sts, so it's essentially a wasted application and yet, by being shady they give hope to candidates T_T

I got a first and have just been rejected. I'm also an ex- queen mary student and am currently studying my MSc at Barts. So this is more than a kick in the face.
Original post by MedicalMusical
Just got a rejection on UCAS track for A100

my stats were:
predicted grades A*AA +a
grade 8 piano merit
ucas tariff 196 points

Uckat score 2270 (757 average)

Good luck to everyone who got an interview!

Oh really. Sorry. But ur stats are really good. Surprising.
Original post by jessture99
Me too. I'm international as well, I just got a rejection. But I don't understand, you have such high ukcat score!

More than my UKCAT, I thought my IB score would help me bc IB helps you get lots of tariff points but oh well. Good luck with your other applications :smile: x
Original post by W.migo
I got a first and have just been rejected. I'm also an ex- queen mary student and am currently studying my MSc at Barts. So this is more than a kick in the face.

I feel you as I have been rejected by King's A102 course and I am a final year biomedical engineering undergrad (with a predicted first) at King's :frown:
Rejected at 18:20. UK Biomed grad, UKCAT 680 :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I've read through and knew I wouldn't have a chance so I'm not complaining, but I agree with you that they are shady. Grads with 2.1 have no chance, they favour grads with 1sts, so it's essentially a wasted application and yet, by being shady they give hope to candidates T_T

Surely a 1st prediction or achieved has a higher ucas tarrif point than a 2.1. If you have a 2.1 and someone else has a first your UKCAT has to be higher than theirs to a certain degree inorder for you to out compete them. I'm struggling to see how this means Barts are being shady...
Rejection for both A100 and A101. 716 UKAT, 44 points IB, 10A* at GCSE, predicted 1st in Cell Biology
Original post by thh13
Rejection for both A100 and A101. 716 UKAT, 44 points IB, 10A* at GCSE, predicted 1st in Cell Biology

Those are amazing stats... I don't get how you didn't get an interview for A100? good luck with your other applications x
Original post by W.migo

:frown: sorry to hear about this, I can see why you're frustrated, it doesn't make sense. If you don't mind me asking, what was your ukcat score? I'm trying to work out what their cutoff is for grads with a first. Was this for a100 or a101
Original post by RealLifeEducator
Surely a 1st prediction or achieved has a higher ucas tarrif point than a 2.1. If you have a 2.1 and someone else has a first your UKCAT has to be higher than theirs to a certain degree inorder for you to out compete them. I'm struggling to see how this means Barts are being shady...

Yeah it's not that, it's just there's no point applying here with a 2.1 due to the number of 1sts applicants have, it seems only 2-3 applicants with 2.1s get offered a place. Might as well make the requirements a minimum 1st so people dont waste an application :smile:) I mean I've seen someone with a 1st with 630 UKCAT get invited, so someone with a 2.1 degree would need higher than 780 at least. I've got friends at Barts that told me recently there's no point applying with a 2.1 even with a great UKCAT score x] I didnt mean shady.. just meh, people are wasting an application with 2.1s and UKCAT under 780 x]
Just saw my rejection on track for A100. UKCAT 707. Predicted A*AA. 5A* 5As GCSE . However I've got 3 interviews, so still hopeful about getting an offer somewhere!
Hi, I posted here before, my daughter got rejected as well tonight. Predicted A*A*A, UKCAT 727. I have an issue with their admission policy, I think it discriminates against students who are prevented by their school from doing more than 3 A-levels and who are not allowed to sit the AS anymore (I think this is happening for the first time this year). Did anyone else here have a high UKCAT and high predicted grades but only three subjects and got rejected?
Yeah it's not that, it's just there's no point applying here with a 2.1 due to the number of 1sts applicants have, it seems only 2-3 applicants with 2.1s get offered a place. Might as well make the requirements a minimum 1st so people dont waste an application :smile:) I mean I've seen someone with a 1st with 630 UKCAT get invited, so someone with a 2.1 degree would need higher than 780 at least. I've got friends at Barts that told me recently there's no point applying with a 2.1 even with a great UKCAT score x] I didnt mean shady.. just meh, people are wasting an application with 2.1s and UKCAT under 780 x]

I get where you're coming from but from my experience as a graduate applicant and having met others at interview days etc. A vast majority of applicants to medicine at any university have a first prediction or achieved. Anyone I spoke to, from university tutors, other students and other forums the general consensus is that to be a competitive applicant you need that first. I get that the weighting is 50:50 with ukcat but you shouldn't underestimate the competition. Not all unis put that much focus on it though (e.g. Kcl).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CitizenofNowhere
Hi, I posted here before, my daughter got rejected as well tonight. Predicted A*A*A, UKCAT 727. I have an issue with their admission policy, I think it discriminates against students who are prevented by their school from doing more than 3 A-levels and who are not allowed to sit the AS anymore (I think this is happening for the first time this year). Did anyone else here have a high UKCAT and high predicted grades but only three subjects and got rejected?

I got an interview on the 19th Dec and I got the same UKCAT and predicted A* AA but then i had a lot of points from extra stuff. My school isn't doing AS and they encourage us to only do three A levels ( not compulsory)
Original post by RealLifeEducator
I got an interview on the 19th Dec and I got the same UKCAT and predicted A* AA but then i had a lot of points from extra stuff. My school isn't doing AS and they encourage us to only do three A levels ( not compulsory)

Thanks! Good luck, hope you get an offer!
Hey guys, just got rejected from barts, UKCAT 680, GCSES 6A* 5A, Predicted 3A*s and a banging personal statement, not to blow my own trumpet. Hoping on my 2 other interviews and waiting for southampton. congrats everyone who got an interview!
hi guys, i got rejected from barts but i wanted to know the reason they gave you?
my friend didn't get a reason but mine was increase in competition? was it like this for anyone else?
Reply 979
I still have no update. Bet im on the rejection list for tommorow

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending