The Student Room Group

Hard brexit here we come!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snufkin
:gasp: You did? O to be Norwegian... I wish. :moon: Why did you think that?

Because your profile says you study in Tromso and you're part of the Norwegian Society and your profile picture looks very fennoscandian!
Original post by Plagioclase
Because your profile says you study in Tromso and you're part of the Norwegian Society and your profile picture looks very fennoscandian!

:biggrin: Well I don't study in Tromsø (it's a distance learning degree). I am pretty obsessed with the Nordic countries though.
Original post by Snufkin
:biggrin: Well I don't study in Tromsø (it's a distance learning degree). I am pretty obsessed with the Nordic countries though.

Oh okay. Nordic countries are great though. I tried to learn Swedish at one point, decided to learn Japanese instead but the sentiment was there!
Reply 83
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil

You know, we don't mind. Because we are Europeans, members of the same community, and help our brothers out. If I were paying taxes in Germany I wouldn't mind some of my tax Euros going to poorer nations. And that's the difference between us and you lot - empathy, solidarity, good-will, you lack all of those things. And that's why it's good you're out and will suffer badly.

Greece has a debt problem because fraud is a national sport, shipowners and the Church don't pay tax, there is no cadastre, and it's the country that spends the most on its army (as % of GDP).

Strange that you don't mind paying for that
Reply 84
Original post by Josb
Greece has a debt problem because fraud is a national sport, shipowners and the Church don't pay tax, there is no cadastre, and it's the country that spends the most on its army (as % of GDP).

Strange that you don't mind paying for that

thank god for brexit, go back to your own country you cant even vote in my gr8 nation
Reply 85
Original post by remoaner
thank god for brexit, go back to your own country you cant even vote in my gr8 nation

I'm already in my own country.
Reply 86
He has also repeatedly said that he loves Britain.
Original post by Josb

I thought you were in the UK?
Reply 88
Original post by Josb

Good. How dare you take up our uni spaces ****.
Original post by Captain Haddock
'Access to' the single market describes the position of just about every country in the world. It isn't a useful term at all.

Oh well, as long as we're more privileged in that regard that Syria, North Korea and Northern Cyprus (the countries currently under EU embargo), it'll all be good, right?
Reply 90
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I thought you were in the UK?

Not anymore.
Original post by Captain Haddock
I don't know what your point is. As of now, we are a 'member of' the single market. Ergo, 'member of' accurately describes our relationship to the single market. The far vaguer 'access to' is descriptively useless.

Access to is not descriptively useless. Membership entails 100% of ECJ laws and regulations to be applied not only to goods and services trading within the single market, but also applied to rest of the domestic economy which does not trade with the single market. Membership entails total subjection to this legal authority.

Access to, however, allows countries, such as Canada through CETA, to access and operate within the single market when trading with members of it. Regulations only apply to trade with the members, not to the entire domestic economy. We access their goods and services and comply to the standards, but they are not applied to the entire economy as membership entails. That is why we can essentially unpick burdensome regulation if necessary when we leave, but we currently fit all regulatory standards as current members, thus access to will essentially maintain the status quo.

Not quite true. The EEA has provisions to allow restriction of movement in extreme cases, and Liechtenstein invokes those provisions with the permission of the EEA Council. Believing the EU would allow us to do the same is nothing but wishful thinking and, in any case, irrelevant if we are to be revoking our membership of the single market.

Still demonstrates how it is not an actual 'principle'. It's not wishful thinking to logically assume that the EU will want to keep barrier-free access to its most important export market in the world, especially in the face of its economic and political turmoil.
Original post by Jammy Duel
This isn't really news, it's been the message for a little while now, but did you not get the memo, it isn't hard brexit anymore, it's clean brexit

Posted from TSR Mobile

To me it is just Brexit, plain and simple.
Reply 93
Original post by Davij038
http://www.lbc.co.uk/news/uk/mays-12-point-plan-for-clean-break-from-eu/

We can safely assume we are leaving the single market and probably the customs union too becoming a more 'global Britain'. As a Remain voter I'm actually quite optimistic and glad that brexit will be really put on test and we will ultimately find out 'the truth' .

(I had to laugh about Mays claim brexit will make the UK fairer whilst turning the UK into an even bigger international tax haven ...🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

I'm also glad that Theresa has utterly ignored the moronic cretins if the ukip ill that thinks the uk should become an anti EU liberation front and that the success of our EU friends is vital to continued peace and prosperity.

That's brilliant
Original post by Josb
Not anymore.

Good riddance :wink:
Original post by midnightice
Regulations only apply to trade with the members, not to the entire domestic economy.

You say that like it is a good thing. Why would any company wish to have to work to two or more different standards? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I remember the first time I changed brake fluid. I was in Halfords and noticed that there were two types of fluid. There was one for basically every car in the world, and the other was for certain types of Citron. It is a nightmare. I remember my first trip to France in the 80s. As well as driving on the other side of the road, French cars all had yellow headlights and no doubt a whole load of other features and standards that were different to Germany and different to the UK. All quaint and heart warming. But then back in the 80s most households could only afford to run one car. Couple had to share. Cars were really expensive compared to earnings. Is that what we want again?

The idea that somehow the UK can be freed of all this "red tape" is just barmy. The only people I can see waving this flag are the Little Englanders who get a boner form the idea of buying a pound of apples (not a kilo) from their local greengrocers. However, the irony is that those same people put the local greengrocers out of business because they prefer the cheap imports of uniformly precise apples well packaged, sold by Tesco down the road.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 96
Now we can:

Abolish Tarriffs
Slash Corporation tax
Stop wasting money on areas outside the South East (and foreign aid)
Massively Cut immigration.
Leave the ECHR
Make JR Mogg Governor of the Bank of England
Leave NATO and forge a partnership with Trump and Putin
Scrap all H&S regulation
Scrap maternity pay
Outlaw unions
Bring back Death penalty
Compulsory National Service
Knight Nigel Farage
Spend £59 million on a royal yacht
Scrap the BBC Nationalise the Daily Mail
Cut welfare and force claimants to do hard manual labour
Give our police guns

And other common sense measures
Reply 97
Original post by Davij038
Now we can:

Abolish Tarriffs
Slash Corporation tax

Stop wasting money on areas outside the South East (and foreign aid)
Massively Cut immigration.
Leave the ECHR
Make JR Mogg Governor of the Bank of England
Leave NATO and forge a partnership with Trump and Putin
Scrap all H&S regulation
Scrap maternity pay
Outlaw unions
Bring back Death penalty
Compulsory National Service
Knight Nigel Farage
Spend £59 million on a royal yacht
Scrap the BBC Nationalise the Daily Mail
Cut welfare and force claimants to do hard manual labour
Give our police guns

And other common sense measures

Good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98

agree with everything you said except for bringing back the death penalty. The death penalty is an easy way out. Life time in solitary confinement would be better.
All Illuminati at the end of the day :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending