The Student Room Group

Cambridge Decisions 2017 - info and FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jpxw
Maths & Further Maths (AS and A2 Maths) - 837/900 = 93%
Physics - 199/200 = 99.5%
Computer Science - 179/200 = 89.5%

Grand total of 93.5%, and I applied for Computer Science.

Which exam board?
Reply 101
Original post by jneill
Which exam board?

WJEC
Original post by jpxw
WJEC

Ok, it's all legit then :smile: I suggest you give them a call to put your mind at rest.

Stranger things have happened...

Good luck!
Reply 103
Original post by jneill
Ok, it's all legit then :smile: I suggest you give them a call to put your mind at rest.

Stranger things have happened...

Good luck!

Thanks! I've sent them an email.
Original post by jpxw
Thanks! I've sent them an email.

I think a call is entirely suitable for this.
Reply 105
Original post by jneill
I think a call is entirely suitable for this.

Even if I've already sent them an email?
Original post by jpxw
Even if I've already sent them an email?

Yup.
Original post by jneill
Considering the success rate for independent (private) school pupils, 34.6%, is (still) higher than maintained (state) schools, 25.0%, on what basis is the "allegation" being made?

Spoiler

The allegation is that 'a private school student with slightly better or equivalent grades would be rejected in favour of a state school pupil'. (I reiterate my neutrality on the issue)
Original post by WhiteScythe
The allegation is that 'a private school student with slightly better or equivalent grades would be rejected in favour of a state school pupil'. (I reiterate my neutrality on the issue)

The allegation would need supporting data to be worth discussing :wink:

But yeah that's why Cambridge uses all the contextual data it has available...
Reply 109
Original post by jneill
Yup.

Seems like the line's busy at the moment. Will try again in a bit.
Has anyone heard from Robinson college yet? They said at the interview I would get a letter in early January but haven't heard anything yet. Any other colleges this late?
Thanks
Original post by jneill
The allegation would need supporting data to be worth discussing :wink:

But yeah that's why Cambridge uses all the contextual data it has available...

Just a discussion starter, nothing more than that 😀
Original post by martha1998
Has anyone heard from Robinson college yet? They said at the interview I would get a letter in early January but haven't heard anything yet. Any other colleges this late?
Thanks

I've applied to Fitzwilliam and I still haven't got a letter yet. I'm so scared that the postman has messed up and posted it to the wrong house.
Reply 113
Original post by jneill
Yup.

Wasn't able to get a hold of them, will try again on Monday. I'm assuming for now that they just forgot to put it on the letter. However, if this isn't the case (if they made a mistake and didn't pool me), do you know what the course of action would be? Thanks for all your help.
Original post by jpxw
Wasn't able to get a hold of them, will try again on Monday. I'm assuming for now that they just forgot to put it on the letter. However, if this isn't the case (if they made a mistake and didn't pool me), do you know what the course of action would be? Thanks for all your help.

Speak to the college first. You are correct it's probably a miscommunication.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 115
Anyone know why they would give me an A*A*A* offer for natural sciences instead of the usual A*A*A?
Hi I'd like to request feedback for my application (TitHall) Does anyone know if there is the possibility of having it sent directly to you?
Original post by BlackSwan98
Hi I'd like to request feedback for my application (TitHall) Does anyone know if there is the possibility of having it sent directly to you?

We prefer to provide feedback to the referee for two reasons:

(i) The referee is well placed to judge the best way to convey the feedback to the individual concerned so that it is received as a beneficial learning experience;(ii) The provision of feedback to your school informs advisers of future applicants about the standards and requirements for the relevant Cambridge course and thus is of wider benefit to the admissions process.

If you think you want the feedback sent to you then just ask. Remember that it might not be as helpful as you would wish though. The most common feedback is inevitably some variation on 'we thought you were a strong applicant but you weren't quite as strong as those we made offers to.' This may seem vague and unhelpful but remember that our admissions process takes a holistic view of our applicants so there's rarely any one, two or even small number of things which led to the decision to not make an offer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions

(i) The referee is well placed to judge the best way to convey the feedback to the individual concerned so that it is received as a beneficial learning experience;(ii) The provision of feedback to your school informs advisers of future applicants about the standards and requirements for the relevant Cambridge course and thus is of wider benefit to the admissions process.

If you think you want the feedback sent to you then just ask. Remember that it might not be as helpful as you would wish though. The most common feedback is inevitably some variation on 'we thought you were a strong applicant but you weren't quite as strong as those we made offers to.' This may seem vague and unhelpful but remember that our admissions process takes a holistic view of our applicants so there's rarely any one, two or even small number of things which led to the decision to not make an offer.

So, if a direct feedback request had already been sent, should it be retracted and have the referee make another instead? Would a response to a referee's request provide a little more and in particular enough information for the referee to advise on whether reapplying is worth considering? And perhaps what could be improved upon even though it was a "strong but not as strong as others" candidate?

Would no STEP vs having STEP for example be a influential factor in the "not as strong"?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions

(i) The referee is well placed to judge the best way to convey the feedback to the individual concerned so that it is received as a beneficial learning experience;(ii) The provision of feedback to your school informs advisers of future applicants about the standards and requirements for the relevant Cambridge course and thus is of wider benefit to the admissions process...

Thank you for your advice throughout the application process. I haven't been successful despite also being placed in the Winter pool by my College. It did not surprise me. I did not do as well as I could have done in the ENGAA as I found out two days before it that my father has a very aggressive form of prostate cancer. This has had a devastated effect on me. In the days before my interviews he got further tests results, even worse news. I could not plead extenuating circumstances as I had already submitted my SQA but I thought my school, my referee, had written to them and explain what was going on ( I even had to take some time off school, I got so depressed) but they did not inform my College about anything. Do you think I could ask for a review of their decision? I also have a POLAR 3 "flag".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending