The Student Room Group

Finally, An App That Splits The Bill So That White Men Pay More

Scroll to see replies

Hmm. Interesting, although I do see one small flaw.

It's predicated on the notion that privilege is real.
As a white male I don't mind paying the whole bill, but I do expect a bonk (or at worst a blowie) afterwards.

But if no naughty naughty is on offer, I am afraid it is going to be split exactly 50/50. Unless you ordered an extra course in which case you can pay for that yourself, sunshine.

Don't you just love white male privilege? :biggrin:
I suppose this is an improvement on my paying the whole bill.

It's curious how the author and designer have tried to pass it off as "tongue-in-cheek" as a preemptive escape from criticism - reminiscent of the "it's just a social experiment bro!" mentality, which more or less sums up the sophistication of Huff-Po commentary. Trump is laughing all the way to the White House.
Original post by yudothis
Every other news outlet is male dominated. Are you saying you prefer news written by men rather than by women? Why?

This sounds like that ridiculous critical theory handout that basically means 'ask obfuscating questions'. I don't care what gender the writers at the huffington post are, I care about the quality of their journalism which is about stormfront or daily mail levels or dumb. Nothing they represent is represented accurately and every study they cite is riddled with bias or methodological issues as well as the fact they publish rubbish like praise of an app that discriminates against people because of some unproven perceived privilege which exists as they say it does because it just does.

Original post by Mathemagicien
it uses data from the Bureau of Labor statistics on average earnings by race and gender, and splits the bill according to that.

This is again a very misleading use of the statistics - for example, they do not account for age (whites are an older age group, and therefore have higher wages on average; younger women make more money than white men, for the same hours and job worked).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/finally-an-app-that-splits-the-bill-so-that-white-men-pay-more_us_56d06dfae4b0871f60eb1181

But its an interesting discussion topic: should white men pay more?

"So if you’re a white man brunching with a black woman and a Latina, be prepared to pay a little extra for that avocado toast. Hey, it’s not our fault! It’s the patriarchy"

So many things wrong with this;

(a) The inference is that its directly the fault of the patriarchy as in the patriarchy, the male form of oppression, will allow men not to be benefitted

(b) Avocado toast. Not an academic point but cements the stereotype of middle class airy moron speaking down to those who just aren't as morally pure as them doesn't it

(c) It's not your fault despite your direct and obvious support for the app that directly causes it to happen, in the same way it wouldnt be my fault if I ran someone over by pressing the accelerator because they should have seen me and moved presumably.

(d) The way to fix supposed 'oppression' now is to disadvantage the oppressor rather than make it equal because why?

(e) Oddly the staff at huff post stand to benefit from this

(f) In a nation of fuel and food poverty who pays more for avocado toast is a very out of touch concern

"You pay what you should to balance out the wage gap"
So Asians pay more then? They outperform white people in all positive fields and under-perform in all 'negative fields' ie incarceration. Also is this the same wage gap that was identified by cross referencing all jobs in all industries not per the exact same job ie is totally useless at telling us anything except for a momentarily interesting representation of which gender works more (for example women are hugely overrepresented in part time work so is it any surprise they get paid less overall with all things compared?)

"Luna Malbroux, a San Francisco comedian, talk-show host and artist in residence at the historic African American Arts and Culture Complex is the mastermind behind the idea, which was the Grand Prize winner at the 2016 Comedy Hack Day in San Francisco" I'll let that speak for itself, a minority San Franciscan whinging about oppression from a platform referenced in international news.

Unsurprisingly they don't include a single link or validating statistic, nor link to a study or survey, nor evidence for any of their claims of 'oppression' and so on which are not only ultra vires in mentioning in terms of the scope of the discursive matter but further just assume all their claims prima facie.
Reply 24
Not yet. Perhaps that should be in next year's New Year's Resolution for White Men?

Maybe MTV could do another video about it :biggrin:.
Original post by Jammy Duel
No, um saying I prefer news outlets that are actually vaguely successful at hiding their biases, don't have a constant victim mentality, and actually require a bit of thought to pick apart their stories

Posted from TSR Mobile

Examples of such news outlets?
Reply 26
Original post by tomtjl
Don't white men already pay for everything?

nope

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nickmorrison/2015/12/17/white-men-being-left-behind-in-race-to-university/#4bba4fb3c784

Looks like women and foreigners are overtaking you!
um, no. that's literally racist and sexist.
if feminists keep citing "dictionary definitions" to legitimate their definition of feminism, what about this:
racism ˈreɪsɪz(ə)m/Submit noun prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior

?
Reply 28

So racism is over? Cool guys, we can all say the N word now. Sweet.
Lol what is it with society and white men craze?!

Spoiler

Original post by Jammy Duel
Neither are whites by that logic, the huff post board is all white, yet there is still the victim complex for black people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

White men, yes.
White men, yes.

Ummm, have you not seen their tweet about how diverse their entirely white female board is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
because of some unproven perceived privilege which exists as they say it does because it just does.

Must be good to be male and not care about others.
''White people are bad because they have jobs.''
Reply 35
Original post by tomtjl
So racism is over? Cool guys, we can all say the N word now. Sweet.

oh look how eager white boys are at using the n-word, go back to school first. Racism isn't over, it's just society is becoming smarter and leaving some people behind.
Must be good to be male and not care about others.

Ah that's how that works is it? Points you can't refute don't count because apparently I'm male (supposition) and 'I don't care about others (supposition).

The huffington post is an indefensible sensationalist rag even a little bit of preliminary research can tell anyone that and your question was inane and pointless

Because men aren't victims...

Even those that are victims by the legal definition, as well as the normal one, of everything from assault to rape? Also funny how you accuse me of 'not caring about others' but write off a whole group prima facie because of what they are not who they are - but you're morally superior in this situation because you can't look past genitalia and physical characteristics which you use to purport a theory which you can't prove or even evidence in any substantive way.

White men, yes.

Ah I see. Much more reasonable. Just all white men always because you say so with no evidence. Why can't everyone be like you and care so much about others?

But its an interesting discussion topic: should white men pay more?

Actually, under this app Asian (as in East Asian) men pay the most.
Reply 38
Original post by remoaner
oh look how eager white boys are at using the n-word, go back to school first. Racism isn't over, it's just society is becoming smarter and leaving some people behind.

[video="youtube;MSrTnWDTdwI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSrTnWDTdwI[/video]
Does this mean that when Aliko Dangote ($12 billion net worth) and Donald Trump ($3 billion net worth) eat at a restaurant together Donald would have to pay more because he's a white man?
Lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending