The Student Room Group

A few problems to have a go at...

Four problems that I hope you'll like. A level knowledge (inc FM where appropriate) is required.

Problem 1

Spoiler

Problem 2

Spoiler

Problem 3

Spoiler

Problem 4

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
I have a funny feeling none of these are actually appropriate for "A level students"...
Original post by DFranklin
I have a funny feeling none of these are actually appropriate for "A level students"...

Well, definitely inappropriate for an A-level paper :tongue:

Whenever I've done this in the past I've always received a decent response. We'll see what happens :lol:

Having done A-Level maths + FM just last summer, I can safely say I have never seen anything like this unless I missed something... :lol:
Original post by Indeterminate
Well, definitely inappropriate for an A-level paper :tongue:

Whenever I've done this in the past I've always received a decent response. We'll see what happens :lol:
Since there's a set of 10 problems I posted only yesterday with little response (and although some of them were hard, some were reasonably accessible) I'm not expecting a great deal...
Original post by RDKGames
Having done A-Level maths + FM just last summer, I can safely say I have never seen anything like this unless I missed something... :lol:

:lol:

Well here's a start. For problem 4 consider the quadratic in the denominator and try a substitution.

Since there's a set of 10 problems I posted only yesterday with little response (and although some of them were hard, some were reasonably accessible) I'm not expecting a great deal...

Oh.

Well, erm, at least we try. :lol:
Reply 6
I think I may be able to do 4...
I'll have a crack at it tomorrow :smile:

Edit: Couldn't hack it
(edited 7 years ago)
Can you confirm whether or not Problem 2 is just f(x) = x. If so, do you want us to prove it?
Reply 8
Original post by BobBobson
Can you confirm whether or not Problem 2 is just f(x) = x. If so, do you want us to prove it?

I think f(x) = 1+x works as well. Plug a,b = 0 in to get f(0)=0 or 1. Then let a=0, and see what you get. Also, with functional equations substitute back in to see if what you get works.
Original post by BobBobson

Original post by A02
I think f(x) = 1+x works as well. Plug a,b = 0 in to get f(0)=0 or 1. Then let a=0, and see what you get. Also, with functional equations substitute back in to see if what you get works.

If you think you've found one (or more than one) solution, can't you find any others? Or can you show that there aren't any others?
Reply 10
If you think you've found one (or more than one) solution, can't you find any others? Or can you show that there aren't any others?

Yes.
I think this is right:

Answer

Reply 11
Problem 4 is just ugly. Problem 3 isn't so bad, on the other hand (doubt an A-Level student would manage it, though):

Use x(sinx)2x \mapsto (\sin x)^2 to get

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{align*}\int_0^1 \frac{\log \frac{3+x}{3-x}}{\sqrt{x(1-x)}} \, \mathrm{d}x &=\int_0^{\pi/2} \log\left(\frac{3 + \sin^2 x }{3-\sin^2 x}\right)\frac{2\sin x\cos x \, \mathrm{d}x}{\sqrt{\sin^2 x(1-\sin^2 x)}} \\ &= 2 \int_0^{\pi/2}\log\left(\frac{3 + \sin^2 x}{3-\sin^2 x}\right) \, \mathrm{d}x \end{align*}

Now use xx2x \mapsto \frac{x}{2} and sin2x=1cosx22\sin^2 x = \frac{1-\cos \frac{x}{2}}{2} to get

01log3+x3xx(1x)dx=0πlog7cosx5+cosxdx\displaystyle \int_0^1 \frac{\log \frac{3+x}{3-x}}{\sqrt{x(1-x)}} \, \mathrm{d}x = \int_0^{\pi} \log \frac{7 - \cos x}{5 + \cos x} \, \mathrm{d}x

Now use 0πlog(κ±cosθ)dθ=πarccoshκ\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi} \log(\kappa \pm \cos \theta) \, \mathrm{d}\theta =\pi \text{arccosh}\, \kappa on our integral (pretty nifty identity, try proving it) to get:

I=π(arccosh7arccosh5)\displaystyle I = \pi (\text{arccosh} \,7 - \text{arccosh} \,5)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
"An algebraic integer is a root of some polynomial with leading coefficient (that is the non-zero coefficient of the highest power) 1."

Really? :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
Problem 4 is just ugly. Problem 3 isn't so bad, on the other hand (doubt an A-Level student would manage it, though):

Use x(sinx)2x \mapsto (\sin x)^2 to get

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{align*}\int_0^1 \frac{\log \frac{3+x}{3-x}}{\sqrt{x(1-x)}} \, \mathrm{d}x &=\int_0^{\pi/2} \log\left(\frac{3 + \sin^2 x }{3-\sin^2 x}\right)\frac{2\sin x\cos x \, \mathrm{d}x}{\sqrt{\sin^2 x(1-\sin^2 x)}} \\ &= 2 \int_0^{\pi/2}\log\left(\frac{3 + \sin^2 x}{3-\sin^2 x}\right) \, \mathrm{d}x \end{align*}

Now use xx2x \mapsto \frac{x}{2} and sin2x=1cosx22\sin^2 x = \frac{1-\cos \frac{x}{2}}{2} to get

01log3+x3xx(1x)dx=0πlog7cosx5+cosxdx\displaystyle \int_0^1 \frac{\log \frac{3+x}{3-x}}{\sqrt{x(1-x)}} \, \mathrm{d}x = \int_0^{\pi} \log \frac{7 - \cos x}{5 + \cos x} \, \mathrm{d}x

Now use 0πlog(κ±cosθ)dθ=πarccoshκ\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi} \log(\kappa \pm \cos \theta) \, \mathrm{d}\theta =\pi \text{arccosh}\, \kappa on our integral (pretty nifty identity, try proving it) to get:

I=π(arccosh7arccosh5)\displaystyle I = \pi (\text{arccosh} \,7 - \text{arccosh} \,5)

I expected you to chip in :tongue:

Original post by Zacken
"An algebraic integer is a root of some polynomial with leading coefficient (that is the non-zero coefficient of the highest power) 1." Really?

Well spotted :lol:
Reply 14
I expected you to chip in :tongue:

Might as well before lectures start (tomorrow!!). ;lol:

When do your lectures start? :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Might as well before lectures start (tomorrow!!). ;lol:

When do your lectures start? :smile:

Fair enough :lol:

Day 1 for me too, but I know a few who haven't got any lectures until Monday. :colonhash: :tongue:

But yeah looking forward to it of course! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest