The Student Room Group

I'm a Cambridge reject and I'm thinking of reapplying next year

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I know this may have been asked before but is it ok to use the same personal statement with amendments for gap year plans?
Reply 61
Original post by Crazy47
I know this may have been asked before but is it ok to use the same personal statement with amendments for gap year plans?

Yes.
Reply 62
Original post by jneill
You can't apply to Cambridge whilst holding a place at another UK university.

How would Cambridge know you are at another university when you reapply to them?
Original post by Crazy47
How would Cambridge know you are at another university when you reapply to them?

You fill out the SAQ and you need references. For Oxford to be fair they might not necessarily know because the UCAS form doesn't ask for it and your reference could just be from a past school teacher.

I mean, if we're talking morality, it is just you filling out the form. Sort of like aviation applicants who don't say they have a minor injury or people who click 'Yes I've got a TV license' on IPlayer, the onus is on you to tell them the truth. If they find out that you've lied you could get into trouble (how severe this is, I'm not sure). How they would find out I have no idea, maybe if you mentioned something in an interview or if your current university phoned them (no idea why they would do that). But is it really worth the risk?
Reply 64
Original post by Crazy47

Because you tell them on your UCAS form. And in Q1.7 on Cambridge's SAQ.
Would applying from a Dutch uni be as difficult as applying from a British one? I am planning on applying to Oxford post-VWO (Dutch A-levels) for Mathematics, but I'm not very keen on taking a gap year as gap years are somewhat frowned upon when applying for maths. Would I still need to be released by the Dutch university? The link @jneill sent (https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/547/related/1) states that I would also need a reference from my university and "evidence of my performance on your university course". I expect it would be very difficult to obtain a good reference from a university tutor and evidence of my performance in October when I've only studied at my university for a month and haven't done any exams yet. Would I get a conditional offer based on my university grades?
Reply 66
Original post by maartenjr
Would applying from a Dutch uni be as difficult as applying from a British one? I am planning on applying to Oxford post-VWO (Dutch A-levels) for Mathematics, but I'm not very keen on taking a gap year as gap years are somewhat frowned upon when applying for maths. Would I still need to be released by the Dutch university? The link @jneill sent (https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/547/related/1) states that I would also need a reference from my university and "evidence of my performance on your university course". I expect it would be very difficult to obtain a good reference from a university tutor and evidence of my performance in October when I've only studied at my university for a month and haven't done any exams yet. Would I get a conditional offer based on my university grades?

This is a Cambridge thread. :wink:

Not sure how Oxford does it...
Original post by jneill
This is a Cambridge thread. :wink:

Not sure how Oxford does it...

Well, because there was also some discussion on Oxford admissions in this thread, as well as my concerns regarding the reference being relevant to Cambridge as well, I thought it wouldn't hurt asking on this thread. I did actually apply to Cambridge this year but was rejected post-interview. I decided to go for Oxford next year because I like the idea of getting an unconditional offer instead of still having to do STEP.
Reply 68
Well, because there was also some discussion on Oxford admissions in this thread, as well as my concerns regarding the reference being relevant to Cambridge as well, I thought it wouldn't hurt asking on this thread. I did actually apply to Cambridge this year but was rejected post-interview. I decided to go for Oxford next year because I like the idea of getting an unconditional offer instead of still having to do STEP.

Probably best to ask the experts in https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14

I'll also tag @BrasenoseAdm - they are very helpful.

My information is only for Cambridge, but it might be useful to you anyway so I'll just post it here.

Applying from a Dutch university may be a little easier than from a British one, but if you're applying for the same subject as at your current university, they're not keen on that. If you do end up taking a gap year to reapply, you may want to consider Queens' college Cambridge, because it has a much more positive attitude to gap year maths students than other colleges.

I applied to Oxford this year and have an offer, and I was able to send them an extra reference in mid November as I had only just started my course by the October deadline also. It's definitely worth emailing the admissions tutor for the college you want to apply to and explaining your situation.
I'd second the advice about waiting for your grades and doing a gap year if Oxbridge beckons.

I got rejected by Cambridge, narrowly. Then, after a nasty accident in Y13, I went a bit bonkers and predicted grades meant nothing - I could ehave ended up with Es. Got the grades (AAAA - I'm old money 😜), realised I wanted Cambridge not other offers, so worked abroad and reapplied for languages. Interview was much easier for me and them, since we both knew where the grades stood, and I got an unconditional offer. I also got loads to put on my UCAS form, worked and did a "proper job" which was great experience, had a great time, and had a bit of money for my first year at uni. I've since been a Head of Careers, for what that's worth. Highly recommended!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jentamenta
I'd second the advice about waiting for your grades and doing a gap year if Oxbridge beckons.

I got rejected by Cambridge, narrowly. Then, after a nasty accident in Y13, I went a bit bonkers and predicted grades meant nothing - I could ehave ended up with Es. Got the grades (AAAA - I'm old money 😜), realised I wanted Cambridge not other offers, so worked abroad and reapplied for languages. Interview was much easier for me and them, since we both knew where the grades stood, and I got an unconditional offer. I also got loads to put on my UCAS form, worked and did a "proper job" which was great experience, had a great time, and had a bit of money for my first year at uni. I've since been a Head of Careers, for what that's worth. Highly recommended!

I know that you were applying pre-A*, but for the more recent of us, would attaining 3As be enough, given that that's the entrance requirement? Or would A*A*A be far more competitive and AAA almost no chance? I'm aiming to get A*A*A*A/A*A*AA. (@BrasenoseAdm?)

And that story is so inspiring omg!! My heart beckons to both of the unis tbh and if I get the grades I mentioned above I'll put a lot of effort into submitted work and harmony and the PS. I've been looking at music journals as well xDD I have no idea whether I was rejected narrowly or not (the college won't give me feedback unfortunately) but I feel like I'm so determined that whatever happens all the work will have been for a good cause (I don't regret applying one bit!!).
Reply 73
Original post by DashBox
Hey guys, first, some information about me. I'm in year 13 right now doing Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths A levels. As the title says, I got rejected by Cambridge, Trinity College, for Natural Sciences MSci this week.

Now, disappointments aside, I'm thinking of reapplying next year, perhaps not to the same course/ college though. I already hold offers from UCL, uni of York, Nottingham uni and Lancaster uni. Now before anyone points out that these are great unis, hear me out. This is what I'm thinking:

I put UCL as my firm choice and hopefully if I get the grades, I join it in September this year. However, at the same time I start reapplying to Cambridge (or Oxford for that matter). If I get in, I formally transfer universities and be potentially behind a year, but does that really matter if you're an oxbridge graduate? and if I don't get in, mehh, life goes on and I graduate from UCL (hopefully). This way, I avoid a gap year (unless someone can give me something academically worthwhile to do during the gap year). So, how does it sound?

I do have some conundrums regarding this plan. Firstly, if I do get into UCL, is oxbridge really that much better than UCL? Secondly, how does this affect my finance situation? I will be taking out a student loan.

So, any light to be shed on my situation? I'm happy to provide more details and I'm, well, kinda stuck here.

Edit: I will be applying for a 4 year MSci, oxbridge or otherwise
Edit # 2: Just to be clear, I'm thinking of reapplying either to Cambridge or Oxford, whilst doing my first year at another university (UCL if all goes well).

Why does being a year behind at all matter? Such a messed up way to look at life! A year behind in what? Being "a year behind" as you put it affects you in no way whatsoever once you finish school and go to uni, regardless of where you study.

Also, I may be wrong, but I'm rather sure you can't go through the UCAS application process while enrolled at uni. Also another problem, you're applying for an MSci, that's 4 years. Student finance only fund you for 4 yet you would be doing 5 in your plan. You will have wasted a year or half a year needlessly at UCL and £9000.

I don't understand people like you. Why would a gap year have to be academically worthwhile? Can't you do something fun instead? What is this academia gearing you up for? You have the rest of your life to work in a job.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry if these are really silly questions but I'm just unsure on a few things. If I took a year out and then reapplied, how would the whole thing work in terms of the reference from a teacher and the forms that the teachers have to fill in when I submit essays for the application? Since I'll no longer be attending that school.

Actually, just in general, if someone could help me out with the logistics of how the application process differs once you're out of school, that would be really helpful, thanks :smile:
Reply 75
Original post by Moura
Also, I may be wrong, but I'm rather sure you can't go through the UCAS application process while enrolled at uni.

Also another problem, you're applying for an MSci, that's 4 years. Student finance only fund you for 4 yet you would be doing 5 in your plan. You will have wasted a year or half a year needlessly at UCL and £9000.

Yes you can. Although Cambridge specifically doesn't like it much.

And no. SFE covers the total length of a new course + 1 year - number of years of prior study. e.g. someone succesfully moving across to a 4 year MSci after 1 year somewhere else will get: 4 +1 - 1 = 4 years new funding.

Yes they would have to pay for 5 years of total study but it just gets added into the loan. It's not a problem, and they don't have to pay more per month, it just takes longer to pay it off.
Reply 76
Original post by neyscar
Sorry if these are really silly questions but I'm just unsure on a few things. If I took a year out and then reapplied, how would the whole thing work in terms of the reference from a teacher and the forms that the teachers have to fill in when I submit essays for the application? Since I'll no longer be attending that school.

Actually, just in general, if someone could help me out with the logistics of how the application process differs once you're out of school, that would be really helpful, thanks :smile:

It's often easiest to get your old school to still be your referee. They might need to update your reference a bit (in the same way that you should update your PS).

Usually your old school will be happy to do this.
Original post by jneill
Yes you get a "gift" year = 1 year in case you change your mind or do badly and retake a year.

So maximum loan duration = length of undergrad course - years already studied + 1 (the gift year).

What if you're studying Medicine, which is six years? Do you not get funding for the full 6 years?
Reply 78
Original post by papertown
What if you're studying Medicine, which is six years? Do you not get funding for the full 6 years?

Medicine is different. There's NHS funding for it but I'm not an expert on who pays what. Don't worry, if you are UK applicant you will be fully funded one way or the other.
Reply 79
Original post by jneill
Yes you can. Although Cambridge specifically doesn't like it much.

And no. SFE covers the total length of a new course + 1 year - number of years of prior study. e.g. someone succesfully moving across to a 4 year MSci after 1 year somewhere else will get: 4 +1 - 1 = 4 years new funding.

Yes they would have to pay for 5 years of total study but it just gets added into the loan. It's not a problem, and they don't have to pay more per month, it just takes longer to pay it off.

Are you sure? I know someone who did their 1st year of uni, dropped out to do Engineering, but could only do the bachelors part, not the MEng as student finance will only pay for 4 years of study and that would make it 5.

It is still a total waste of £9000 + living expenses IMO when you won't even get anything out of it if you do transfer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending