The Student Room Group
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website

Re: Accused, Removed from Project, Sick with UoW's Injustice, Very Depressed :'(

Original post by prosperity
Hello People,

At the beginning of the academic year my supposed supervisor had removed me from his project.

First I received an email from the Head of Conduct and Appeals and had an informal meeting with her, when she informed me that my supervisor no longer wished to have any contact with me and had made some false allegations against me. I have tried to explain to everyone: the Head of CaA, Student's Union, Head of the School, Dean of Students, to no avail. :frown:

This has led to a major depressive episode this year and two suicidal attempts in early November.

Please, this is not a troll post, I really do not know to whom to turn to for justice. It's like the Uni is deaf to what I say. :frown:

So I ask you people, how can I find an answer to all this? I was so happy to have that project since it is related to the area I want to follow professionally but I am simply so disheartened with UoW :frown:.

Thank you.

I would get a mod to move this thread to somewhere less conspicuous.

You say you spoke to your student union adviser? What did they say? You really dont give much detail.

The normal method is to follow the official complaints procedure and when done if not happy, hen you can contact the OIA, who cna decide whether its in their remit. Clearly we dont know what the reasons they dont want you are, but you arent getting back on the project. the SU advisor should have been able to look at the evidence. Talk to the OIA.
Reply 1
You getting 'justice' is entirely dependent upon the evidence the supervisor has against you vs the evidence you have to support your version of events. Present your evidence during the complaint procedure and although it will not gain you back a place on the project, it may clear you of the accusations made and allow you to move on.

Shift your focus to completing your course with good grads and seek other career related experience elsewhere at a late date. Look after your mental health too.
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website
Original post by 999tigger
I would get a mod to move this thread to somewhere less conspicuous.

You say you spoke to your student union adviser? What did they say? You really dont give much detail.

The normal method is to follow the official complaints procedure and when done if not happy, hen you can contact the OIA, who cna decide whether its in their remit. Clearly we dont know what the reasons they dont want you are, but you arent getting back on the project. the SU advisor should have been able to look at the evidence. Talk to the OIA.

Hi 999tigger,

I did speak to a SU adviser and she offered no help on how to go throw this situation and simply said to listen to what the Uni say (i.e. accept my 'wrong-doing' )

I have gotten a complaint outcome on it but it was one of the most biased pieces written. Nowhere does it address my issues, nor are my mental health problems mentioned :frown: I have posted the details of the complete history with my supervisor but only his side of the story was heard :frown:. These circumstances have made me feel so suicidal and I no longer wish to be a UoW student :frown:. I feel I am accused of something I have not done and that I am presented as a villain.
I have also spoken to my GP and Counsellor about Asperger's and I await further instructions from the autistic team but again, they did not take into account this :frown:.

I will be seeing the Dean of Students at the end of the week and the Dean of the Faculty next week but I don't think anything will be done to alleviate my position.

Thank you for your post! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CCC75
You getting 'justice' is entirely dependent upon the evidence the supervisor has against you vs the evidence you have to support your version of events. Present your evidence during the complaint procedure and although it will not gain you back a place on the project, it may clear you of the accusations made and allow you to move on.

Shift your focus to completing your course with good grads and seek other career related experience elsewhere at a late date. Look after your mental health too.

Hi CCC75,

I have presented my version of the events but none have considered it and only the staff version is taken into account. :frown: I am so sick of this biased manner of theirs.

The University does not offer any other projects related to the field I wish to follow and only this particular supervisor is responsible for it. I have tried to work things out but they just don't let me :frown: And he was a person I looked up to :frown:.

I will seek my GP this week to discuss my suicidal feelings over this but I am so afraid of myself that I might go over the edge and do it one of these days. :'(

Thank you for your post :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by prosperity
Hi 999tigger,

I did speak to a SU adviser and she offered no help on how to go throw this situation and simply said to listen to what the Uni say (i.e. accept my 'wrong-doing' )

I have gotten a complaint outcome on it but it was one of the most biased pieces written. Nowhere does it address my issues, nor are my mental health problems mentioned :frown: I have posted the details of the complete history with my supervisor but only his side of the story was heard :frown:. These circumstances have made me feel so suicidal and I no longer wish to be a UoW student :frown:. I feel I am accused of something I have not done and that I am presented as a villain.
I have also spoken to my GP and Counsellor about Asperger's and I await further instructions from the autistic team but again, they did not take into account this :frown:.

I will be seeing the Dean of Students at the end of the week and the Dean of the Faculty next week but I don't think anything will be done to alleviate my position.

Thank you for your post! :smile:

What about your student rep or someone from the disabilities/ mental health team? You shouldnt be having any meetings without representation imo

Presumably the reason why the suprvisor no longer wants you on the project is to do with your aspergers or other disabilities?

1. The legal advice centre but they might not advise against the uni.
https://www.wlv.ac.uk/about-us/our-schools-and-institutes/faculty-of-social-sciences/university-of-wolverhampton-law-school/legal-advice-centre/
Telephone: 01902 323 720

2. Disability Rights
https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline

They might be able to suggest someone who can advocate for you.

Telephone: 0800 328 5050

Opening hours: 11am-1pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays

email: [email protected]

3. If nothing comes of that then contact the OIA Office Independent Adjuicator

http://www.oiahe.org.uk/contact-us/address-and-telephone-number.aspx

4. If none of those will help (the SU should be doing so) , then go to CAB or ask in the law faculty if anyone can help you prepare an appeal case or is willing to advocate for you.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-we-provide-advice/advice/search-for-your-local-citizens-advice/?q=WV1+1LY&q2=

Its hard to comment as someone needs to interview you and objectively assess all the information before advising.You shouldnt admit to anything you havent done. If the relationship with the supervisor has broken down, then its unlikely you cna consider being placed with them, even if you won. If the reserah was so fundamental then maybe they cna arrange for you to attend another uni. You need some disabiliyies advice to make sure they arent discriminating against you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
What about your student rep or someone from the disabilities/ mental health team? You shouldnt be having any meetings without representation imo

Presumably the reason why the suprvisor no longer wants you on the project is to do with your aspergers or other disabilities?

1. The legal advice centre but they might not advise against the uni.
https://www.wlv.ac.uk/about-us/our-schools-and-institutes/faculty-of-social-sciences/university-of-wolverhampton-law-school/legal-advice-centre/
Telephone: 01902 323 720

2. Disability Rights
https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline

They might be able to suggest someone who can advocate for you.

Telephone: 0800 328 5050

Opening hours: 11am-1pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays

email: [email protected]

3. If nothing comes of that then contact the OIA Office Independent Adjuicator

http://www.oiahe.org.uk/contact-us/address-and-telephone-number.aspx

4. If none of those will help (the SU should be doing so) , then go to CAB or ask in the law faculty if anyone can help you prepare an appeal case or is willing to advocate for you.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-we-provide-advice/advice/search-for-your-local-citizens-advice/?q=WV1+1LY&q2=

Its hard to comment as someone needs to interview you and objectively assess all the information before advising.You shouldnt admit to anything you havent done. If the relationship with the supervisor has broken down, then its unlikely you cna consider being placed with them, even if you won. If the reserah was so fundamental then maybe they cna arrange for you to attend another uni. You need some disabiliyies advice to make sure they arent discriminating against you.

Hi 999tigger,

Thank you for your post.

I will be giving the disability line a try this Thursday.

I have already told the Head of Conduct and Appeals and the Head of School about my Asperger's investigation but they still dismiss it and, of course, take the supervisor's side. :frown:

I can only contact the OIA after my complaint has reached Stage Two, which mean it must be review by the Dean of Students and will take either 1 to 3 months to be given an outcome(!) The Dean of Students is the only person who can give me a Procedures Letter which is required by the OIA unit.

I will try and see if the citizen's advice can do anything. It is an Honours Project, not a funded research one. But I will be very disheartened if I couldn't follow the one I want like any other student just because the lecturer 'doesn't like' me. :frown:

Thank you for your time.!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending