The Student Room Group

Have you asked for your teacher's facebook/insta/snap?

So I was wondering has anyone asked for their teacher's social media like facebook instagram or snapchat?

It is because I started teaching new this year (or last year calendar year wise) and so far its been a very interesting experience, highly rewarding and enjoyable overall.

By far the most common questions I have been asked is

1. Sir how old are you?

2. Sir have you got a girlfriend?

3. Sir add me on instagram

4. Sir have you got snapchat/facebook.

1 and 2 especially, I can't tell you how many times I've been asked that.

Now I don't know what the strict ruling is of having students on social media, but I was told by my senior manager that I should not have them. Personally I would never add my students on there for many reasons, but I'm not really a social media guy anyway.

Apart from snapchat, I don't really post on the others. Facebook is dead and I haven't uploaded much on my insta and all thats left on there are the remains of my 'slide into them DMs phase' from early uni days.

I just want to see what you guys think, because this site is a pretty good medium of communicating with students but keeping anonymous and no safeguarding issues arise so its nice I can get your thoughts. I teach maths by the way, and its 11-16.

Me personally going back to my school days I would never ask for my teachers social media unless it was a fit female teacher that me and my friends needed to "investigate". Funny how things change, some boys come up to me and say things like 'shes nice init sir' talking about female PE teachers to which I don't respond and move away.

I even got an invite to a year 11 student's party once, which was pretty weird. I did report it to my seniors because as teachers we have to report anything which is out of the norm due to safeguarding reasons. I'm not really a party kind of guy, I done all that in my student years - and I certainly wouldn't want to attend a party full of 15/16 year old kids (no offense guys, but I'm a grown up).

So guys, have you asked for your teacher's social media, do any of you have your teacher's on your facebook/insta etc? If so why?

Scroll to see replies

nah bruh imagine havin ur maths teacher on snapchat :yucky:
Original post by The_Hunted
So guys, have you asked for your teacher's social media

Absolutely not, that's really weird lol.

The_Haunted
Do any of you have your teacher's on your facebook/insta etc?

Nope. I kept in touch with one via email after secondary school, but that's as far as it goes...

I'd be careful about how much you say in terms of privacy, just to be safe. :smile:
I totally agree with you. I would not add any teachers until I leave school but I think you need to get in contact with a teacher if you need help with classwork otherwise people shouldn't be adding
hahaha this is funny. I´m in year 13 and we ask our teachers to add us in social media as a joke but they say no. they say when we graduate they´ll add us. But it´s not that much of a deal, if they ask that it´s bc they like you and think ur cool
No way!!!!

Can't allow teacher to see my 'girls in swimsuits - hot & extra hot' collection!! :biggrin:
Reply 7
I personally haven't as I think it's weird.

But I remember back in year 11 after one of my maths teachers had left, I saw so many people adding him on facebook. Even people who he didn't teach at all. I put this down to him being quite attractive, and boy did he know it. Not that he wasn't a cool person, like he was a great teacher, but like that's weird af.

To this day, I still still see him in my 'suggested friends' section on facebook :moon:
Reply 8
I right swiped her :mmm:
No I would never ask. When I was at school, moves like that meant you licked ass.
i haven't asked but i have heard every single one of these things being asked to teacher. It's a bit funny seeing the teachers reactions.
One of my teachers came up in people I may know on facebook a lot before he got convicted of taking indecent images of a child and child abduction.

Had a good few mutual friends too.
Original post by PrincessBO$$

He'd probably ask for pictures of your figure.

Spoiler

Reply 13
Original post by PrincessBO$$

naaa more like imagine having your students on snapchat? Errr - I joke I joke.

But one of my students saw me outside of school once I was wearing my baseball hat, I can freely admit on here it wasn't put on at the correct angle, and his reaction was quite funny.
Reply 14
Original post by Retired_Messiah
One of my teachers came up in people I may know on facebook a lot before he got convicted of taking indecent images of a child and child abduction.

Had a good few mutual friends too.

Hmm I'll probably delete my facebook or change my name or something.

Its all on private anyway, but my profile picture is a typical selfie which I wouldn't want my students seeing.
Hmm I'll probably delete my facebook or change my name or something.

Its all on private anyway, but my profile picture is a typical selfie which I wouldn't want my students seeing.

If you don't add any students at all it's unlikely you'd come up on anything for them unless you've got a name that's not very common.

Idk anybody who spent their facebook stalking time looking up teachers, usually you use it to stalk hot people your own age instead.
Nope that's creepy as hell.

One of my teachers is one of those really motherly teachers so she's told me after I leave school I should take her email. I think she's given out her instagram to pupils but only those who are about to leave the school.
So I was wondering has anyone asked for their teacher's social media like facebook instagram or snapchat?

It is because I started teaching new this year (or last year calendar year wise) and so far its been a very interesting experience, highly rewarding and enjoyable overall.

1. Sir how old are you?

Now I don't know what the strict ruling is of having students on social media, but I was told by my senior manager that I should not have them. Personally I would never add my students on there for many reasons, but I'm not really a social media guy anyway.

Apart from snapchat, I don't really post on the others. Facebook is dead and I haven't uploaded much on my insta and all thats left on there are the remains of my 'slide into them DMs phase' from early uni days.

I just want to see what you guys think, because this site is a pretty good medium of communicating with students but keeping anonymous and no safeguarding issues arise so its nice I can get your thoughts. I teach maths by the way, and its 11-16.

Me personally going back to my school days I would never ask for my teachers social media unless it was a fit female teacher that me and my friends needed to "investigate". Funny how things change, some boys come up to me and say things like 'shes nice init sir' talking about female PE teachers to which I don't respond and move away.

I even got an invite to a year 11 student's party once, which was pretty weird. I did report it to my seniors because as teachers we have to report anything which is out of the norm due to safeguarding reasons. I'm not really a party kind of guy, I done all that in my student years - and I certainly wouldn't want to attend a party full of 15/16 year old kids (no offense guys, but I'm a grown up).

So guys, have you asked for your teacher's social media, do any of you have your teacher's on your facebook/insta etc? If so why?

No wayyyyyyyyy. Who would do that ? Personally, I feel like their should be a boundary between school life and home life for both teachers and students - adding each other on social media is a huge breach of that.
Reply 18
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Nope that's creepy as hell.

One of my teachers is one of those really motherly teachers so she's told me after I leave school I should take her email. I think she's given out her instagram to pupils but only those who are about to leave the school.

Thats really nice of her.

I don't think I would be able to give that kind of time to ex students, I barely have time to get everything done for my current students.

1. Sir how old are you?

you must be a pretty likeable teacher with good banter if a year 11 wanted to invite you to their party ; congrats sir hahah

Quick Reply

Latest