The Student Room Group

The Harry Potter Thread

Hey fellow Potterheads! So I'm sad to say I am a little late at joining the club as I've finally just started to read the books at age 24 :colondollar: I've seen all the movies when they first came out but I don't know why I never got around to reading the books when I was younger as I had read other popular series such as LOTR, Stephen King's work etc but anyhoo, better late than never! :yep:

I'm currently half way through Prisoner of Azkaban and so far, I'd say that is my favourite book though I am really looking forward to reading Half Blood Prince. I don't find it boring reading the books after the films, I'm enjoying it very much :smile:

So what are your favourite moments from the HP series? Who is your favourite characters? What scenes from the books do you wish made it into the films?

Feel free to add your Pottermore stats too if you fancy :yep:

My stats are -
House - Hufflepuff (I was very happy with the house I was allocated to :yep: )
Patronus - Tortoiseshell cat (a cat, surprise surprise for me :teehee: )
Ilvermoney - Horned Serpent
Wand - Ash wood with a Dragon heartstring core 9 and 3/4 inch and quite bendy flexibility

I think if I ever came across a Boggart, it would appear as a wasp and it would be bloody hard to try and make that look amusing! My favourite character so far is either Hagrid or Dumbledore.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

i was disappointed when Snape kills Dumbledore, but who knew that Snape was the good guy all along and Dumbledore had planned it so Snape kills him!

Snape is my favourite character, simply because he sacrificed all his life to protect Harry, the son of the woman he loved. He's so underrated, without him I dont think Voldemort would be dead.

Even worse is that Lilly ended up marrying someone else and even then Snape gave his life for Harry.

(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Spock's Socks
Hey fellow Potterheads! So I'm sad to say I am a little late at joining the club as I've finally just started to read the books at age 24 :colondollar: I've seen all the movies when they first came out but I don't know why I never got around to reading the books when I was younger as I had read other popular series such as LOTR, Stephen King's work etc but anyhoo, better late than never! :yep:

I'm currently half way through Prisoner of Azkaban and so far, I'd say that is my favourite book though I am really looking forward to reading Half Blood Prince. I don't find it boring reading the books after the films, I'm enjoying it very much :smile:

So what are your favourite moments from the HP series? Who is your favourite characters? What scenes from the books do you wish made it into the films?

My stats are -
Wand - Ash wood with a Dragon heartstring core 9 and 3/4 inch and quite bendy flexibility

I think if I ever came across a Boggart, it would appear as a wasp and it would be bloody hard to try and make that look amusing! My favourite character so far is Dumbledore.

I'm in Hufflepuff too. My favourite character is Neville
Reply 3
Harry Potter was a large part of my childhood. I watched the first four films a billion times and used to listen to Stephen Fry's audiobooks like every night. Half Blood Prince and Prisoner of Azkaban got the most play I think.
Ima go redo that Pottermore stuff as I dunno what my account was lol
I'm also over level 40 on quizup in harry potter :rofl: Thankfully advanced maths far exceeds it at about 86.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by RedManc
I'm in Hufflepuff too. My favourite character is Neville

Wooo :biggrin: All the cool people are in Hufflepuff :tongue:
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Harry Potter was a large part of my childhood. I watched the first four films a billion times and used to listen to Stephen Fry's audiobooks like every night. Half Blood Prince and Prisoner of Azkaban got the most play I think.
Ima go redo that Pottermore stuff as I dunno what my account was lol
I'm also over level 40 on quizup in harry potter :rofl: Thankfully advanced maths far exceeds it at about 86.

Ooooh nice one, didn't know he did an audiobook recording. I'll need to check it out :smile: if Patrick Stewart has done a recording of Harry Potter then I'll be even more happy :tongue:

Be sure to let us know what house and everything you get assigned to :yep:
Reply 5
Wooo :biggrin: All the cool people are in Hufflepuff :tongue:

Ooooh nice one, didn't know he did an audiobook recording. I'll need to check it out :smile: if Patrick Stewart has done a recording of Harry Potter then I'll be even more happy :tongue:

Be sure to let us know what house and everything you get assigned to :yep:

ok
Reply 6

My stats are -

I think if I ever came across a Boggart, it would appear as a wasp and it would be bloody hard to try and make that look amusing! My favourite character so far is Dumbledore.

My patronus is a Tonkinese Cat
My house is Slytherin
Ilvermony house is Horned Serpent (sensing a theme)
Wand is ash wood with a dragon heartstring core 12 and 3/4 inch (whoah) and unyielding flexibility
Reply 7
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
My patronus is a Tonkinese Cat
My house is Slytherin
Ilvermony house is Horned Serpent (sensing a theme)
Wand is ash wood with a dragon heartstring core 12 and 3/4 inch (whoah) and unyielding flexibility

We both got pretty similar results :five:

Not many people get put into Slytherin though :teehee: were you expecting to be put into that house?
Reply 8
We both got pretty similar results :five:

Not many people get put into Slytherin though :teehee: were you expecting to be put into that house?

I've been put into every single house, I've done it several times. :rofl: However I've definitely got Slytherin at least twice. Well I am sort of ambitious, but it doesn't overpower my natural laziness. I'm not particularly cunning lol.
Reply 9
One scene I wish they added to Chamber of Secrets is Nearly Headless Nick's Deathday party. I'd have loved to of seen that in the film :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
One scene I wish they added to Chamber of Secrets is Nearly Headless Nick's Deathday party. I'd have loved to of seen that in the film :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This sort of pain becomes more frequent as the books get bigger. :colonhash:
Reply 11
I've got about 20 pages left of Prisoner of Azkaban left so I should be starting Goblet of Fire tonight :yep: I really enjoy the more dark each book becomes. One part of the books I never really enjoy much though are the Quidditch scenes. Maybe its just because I'm not into sports or whatever but I don't enjoy those parts much. It was interesting though when dementors showed up during a match.
(edited 7 years ago)

My stats are -

I think if I ever came across a Boggart, it would appear as a wasp and it would be bloody hard to try and make that look amusing! My favourite character so far is either Hagrid or Dumbledore.

Better late than never! It's always good to hear someone's reading the books, because you learn more about the lore, and personally I love the charming writing style. Also with the later books they cut a lot of the scenes out because movies have to be short, so it;s cool to see the tidbits that are 'new'. I read the books ages about but I think I skimmed it because I don't remember much, as I'm rereading them atm, and I'm on Goblet of Fire atm. I've loved PoA the most so far in my rereading thingy.

I love the moments in PS, there's just something charming, fresh and new about that book, as everything is new, and the later books don't capture that same note, in a good way! I like the tension in CoS, and I love, love love the chapters where they are in the Shrieking Shack in PoA, as well as the angry Harry scene where he learns that Sirius was his father's friend and betrayed them. Gotta love angry Harry.

My favorite character is Remus Lupin! Such a sweet cinnamon roll. I also like Hermione and the Weasleys, and Sirius and Dumbledore, and Hagrid. And to an extent Lockhart (but not if it was real life) and Harry.

My Pottermore
Hogwarts House: Gryffindor
Ilvermorny House: Horned Serpent
Wand: Blackthorn wood with a Unicorn hair core, 10 and 3/4" and Hard flexibility
Patronus: Wolf
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Athena64
Better late than never! It's always good to hear someone's reading the books, because you learn more about the lore, and personally I love the charming writing style. Also with the later books they cut a lot of the scenes out because movies have to be short, so it;s cool to see the tidbits that are 'new'. I read the books ages about but I think I skimmed it because I don't remember much, as I'm rereading them atm, and I'm on Goblet of Fire atm. I've loved PoA the most so far in my rereading thingy.

I love the moments in PS, there's just something charming, fresh and new about that book, as everything is new, and the later books don't capture that same note, in a good way! I like the tension in CoS, and I love, love love the chapters where they are in the Shrieking Shack in PoA, as well as the angry Harry scene where he learns that Sirius was his father's friend and betrayed them. Gotta love angry Harry.

My favorite character is Remus Lupin! Such a sweet cinnamon roll. I also like Hermione and the Weasleys, and Sirius and Dumbledore, and Hagrid. And to an extent Lockhart (but not if it was real life) and Harry.

My Pottermore
Hogwarts House: Gryffindor
Ilvermorny House: Horned Serpent
Wand: Blackthorn wood with a Unicorn hair core, 10 and 3/4" and Hard flexibility
Patronus: Wolf

I really like Lupin too! I couldn't really get into his character much with the films but I'm finding it a lot easier with the books. Lockhart is one of those love to hate characters :tongue: I think the films got his character down pretty well.

One thing I wish the films did was focus more on how bad Harry's life was with his family. In the books, its so detailed and you can really sense just how bad the Dursley's are but in the film, I felt they were toned down a lot. They were still horrible and unbearable to live with though in the films at least :teehee: I know the films couldn't show much since they had to focus on more exciting things like his time at Hogwarts but the start of the first 3 books when you get an in depth description to how bad it was living there, I really enjoyed. They could have added the scene from the book when Harry sees a pair of eyes in the bushes while Dudley is bullying him and it later turns out to be Dobby. Wish they added that :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by econwarwicker
i was disappointed when Snape kills Dumbledore, but who knew that Snape was the good guy all along and Dumbledore had planned it so Snape kills him!

Snape is my favourite character, simply because he sacrificed all his life to protect Harry, the son of the woman he loved. He's so underrated, without him I dont think Voldemort would be dead.

Even worse is that Lilly ended up marrying someone else and even then Snape gave his life for Harry.

While Snape did all of that, he still bullied children. He teased a girl for having big teeth, he was absolutely horrible to Neville :sad:
Reply 15
House - Ravenclaw. The cool nerd :cool:
Patronus - White swan
Wand - Sycamore wood, unicorn hair, 14 and a half inches, unyielding flexibility.

Harry Potter, Harry Potter, Harry Potter :awesome:

Sorry, very excited, Harry Potter is my life. Need to buy me a quick present? Buy me something Harry Potter. The amount of times I have read the books, watched the movies? I've lost count. I'm obsessed, it's dire :laugh: I own so much Harry Potter stuff. They have played such a huge part in my life, I can't put it into words how much I am in debt to these books. Without them, I'd be dead.

My favourite character is Luna Lovegood. She's just so...pure. And cuts out all the ********. She's different and makes me proud to be different.

I really want a Niffler plush toy, but no one has made them yet :cry2:
Reply 16
Reply 17
Original post by Airmed
House - Ravenclaw. The cool nerd :cool:
Patronus - White swan
Wand - Sycamore wood, unicorn hair, 14 and a half inches, unyielding flexibility.

Harry Potter, Harry Potter, Harry Potter :awesome:

Sorry, very excited, Harry Potter is my life. Need to buy me a quick present? Buy me something Harry Potter. The amount of times I have read the books, watched the movies? I've lost count. I'm obsessed, it's dire :laugh: I own so much Harry Potter stuff. They have played such a huge part in my life, I can't put it into words how much I am in debt to these books. Without them, I'd be dead.

My favourite character is Luna Lovegood. She's just so...pure. And cuts out all the ********. She's different and makes me proud to be different.

I really want a Niffler plush toy, but no one has made them yet :cry2:

If I get given your name during Secret Santa this year, I know now to buy you something HP related then :wink: :teehee:

I want this Buckbeak toy :love: afd68977.jpg
Reply 18
If I get given your name during Secret Santa this year, I know now to buy you something HP related then :wink: :teehee:

I want this Buckbeak toy :love: afd68977.jpg

Omg, Buckbeak :love:
Reply 19
Original post by Airmed
Omg, Buckbeak :love:

I really want to go to the Harry Potter studio tour in London :frown:

If only I were rich and didn't hate crowds :daydreaming:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending