The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just consider the unis that Stanford is targeting for their scholarships: UCL, Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Imperial, St Andrews and Edinburgh.

Only 7.
Reply 21
Original post by Josb
It's very important in some other countries, especially those where people are obsessed with social status.

Perhaps, but then you'd need to survey people in those countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by ScotBank16
Just consider the unis that Stanford is targeting for their scholarships: UCL, Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Imperial, St Andrews and Edinburgh.

Only 7.

That's a very interesting new program. Very good of Mr Nike to endow it, to the tune of $400 million...

Do others (eg MIT, CalTech) have similar postgrad programs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JooW
I'd have to disagree on the 'not prestigious' aspect a lil bit. I definitely would rank Leeds as high as Manchester prestige wise but then again the world rankings don't reflect this. What you have to remember I suppose is that to an international student well recognised capital cities like Edinburgh and London will always garner for them a good reputation; London Met for example had a ridiculous amount of Intl students and I think that it's simply bc it had low requirements and London in the name

Fair enough! I get that completely, I'm just going off how I know my peers and family would react to certain universities and there seems to be something against a lot of Northern ones for some reason...
Original post by cambio wechsel
Even sounds a bit rude, though this I suppose depends on the stress pattern :biggrin:

My genuine wow at insitution name only is likely reserved for RADA. Possibly the Royal Academy/College of Music.

Anyone actually wowing at Leeds or Nottingham will as well wow for shopping at Sainsbury's, holidaying in Florida or owning a Volkswagen Passat.

I always do a little internal wow for Glydwr - but mainly because in my head it's not a university just a cover for wizarding HE post Hogwarts.

Aside from that I'd add Glasgow School of Art to the mix as a highly selective, prestigious HEI. And although it's not technically the UK Trinity College Dublin would impress me.
Reply 25
Original post by PQ
Trinity College Dublin would impress me.

+1
When push comes to shove, the real UK rankings look like this
Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
Imperial
UCL
Kings
Manchester, Warwick, Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh
then all the rest blah blah blah
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd say Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, Durham and St. Andrews
Original post by Sarahorr1_
I'd say Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, Durham and St. Andrews

Durham and St Andrews over the likes of Warwick and KCL, lol?
Original post by JustPadz

Literally everyone I know who's applied to warwick and kcl have gotten in including me, whereas people have actually been rejected from St A's, and Durham is definitely considered above those two by the people I know. Maybe it's just because they tend to be more private school-centric, idk.
When push comes to shove, the real UK rankings look like this
Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
Imperial
UCL
Kings
Manchester, Warwick, Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh
then all the rest blah blah blah

St. Andrews is ranked 3rd after oxbridge in a lot of rankings lol and they're hardly totally trustworthy on a standard scale given the deviation between them
Pretty much:
- Oxford/Cambridge
- Imperial/UCL/KCL/LSE/St Andrews/Durham/And maybe warwick
After that I don't think there's a "wow" factor anymore.
St. Andrews is ranked 3rd after oxbridge in a lot of rankings lol and they're hardly totally trustworthy on a standard scale given the deviation between them

Yes on the guardian rankings lol. Check on the world rankings and you'll see these universities trail KCL and Warwick by miles.

Think about the world reputation, nobody outside of the UK knows durham and st andrews like they know KCL, and to a lesser extent Warwick.
Reply 33
Oxbridge
UCL
ICL
LSE
KCL
Durham
Warwick
Manchester
St Andrews

I know for Biomed after Oxbridge and ICL, Manchester is one of the best for progression and grad opportunities so I'm biased towards Manchester as I have an offer :wink:
Yes on the guardian rankings lol. Check on the world rankings and you'll see these universities trail KCL and Warwick by miles.

Think about the world reputation, nobody outside of the UK knows durham and st andrews like they know KCL, and to a lesser extent Warwick.

Disagree about world reputation given I've lived in 4 countries and know a lot of internationals from other countries but oh well. The questions was simply which unis do 'people say "wow you study there" when you say it ?', and I answered with my experiences. Personally, if someone said they were at kings/warwick and a couple of the others mentioned I'd be happy for them but not really that impressed because those are the 'easier' ones to have gotten into for my friends (obviously still great to have gotten offers).
(edited 7 years ago)
Disagree about world reputation given I've lived in 4 countries and know a lot of internationals from other countries but oh well. The questions was simply which unis do 'people say "wow you study there" when you say it ?', and I answered with my experiences. Personally, if someone said they were at kings/warwick and a couple of the others mentioned I'd be happy for them but not really that impressed because those are the 'easier' ones to have gotten into for my friends (obviously still great to have gotten offers).

Actually I would argue that KCL and Warwick had the wow factor. I've heard many people abroad say KCL is a top school, Warwick to follow. To be honest, I didn't even know about St Andrews University was a thing until about a week ago, no joke. Pardon me if I was being ignorant.

Next thing you need to think is the location factor, which has a direct link to reputation and employability KCL you can't beat its central London location, and Warwick, located just outside of Birmingham isn't bad. This is in comparison to Durham and St Andrew's which are literally in the middle of nowhere.
It depends a lot on what you're studying. You'll notice, for example, that some people are putting St. Andrew's really high up, some are saying it's not worth a lot. For my course, modern languages, St. Andrew's is definitely up there, but Edinburgh, which everyone is rating well, doesn't do particularly well in league tables. For other courses those positions would be reversed. What do you want to study?
Reply 37
Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx
Fair enough! I get that completely, I'm just going off how I know my peers and family would react to certain universities and there seems to be something against a lot of Northern ones for some reason...

Again, I think it depends a lot on location! Your family must have something against Northerners :wink:. The general opinion from us Midlanders is the further away you are, the better the university must be because you're travelling all that way. Personally I don't really think much of unis that some of my friends go to such as Leicester DMU or Lincoln; however my friends who go to St Andrews and Durham I always think 'bruh' for.

I dont know where you're from but St Andrews and Durham definitely have the wow factor and are (arguably) more prestigious than the latter two.

Original post by ScotBank16

Only 7.

um where are King's and Warwick??
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Palmyra
Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial
LSE and UCL at a push

"LSE and UCL at a push" lmao